On overwhelming requests from users: This solution allows you to build your own custom/bespoke Garage Door Opener using a Relay and a Door Open/Close sensor or a Tilt sensor and optionally integrate other sensors/controls in to your Virtual Garage Door Controller.
Key features of this solution:
- Configure and automatically install up to 5 Virtual Garage Doors Controllers
- (Required) Use a relay/momentary and door/window/contact/tilt sensor to create a virtual garage door controller
- (Optional) Separate Open/Close relays for controllers with Open/Close/Stop buttons
- (Optional) Use multiple switch toggles to open/close the garage doors remotely
- (Optional) Use multiple button toggles to open/close the garage doors remotely
- (Optional) Ring a chime/alert device when the door is being opened/closed
- (Optional) Movement/acceleration sensor to detect when the door is operated physically
- Open/Close the garage door remotely using your SmartThings mobile app
- Report the garage door status (open, opening, closed, closing or unknown)
- Vacation mode (all controls are disabled)
- Allows SmartApps to create use cases and automations for your garage door (e.g. Garage Door Open/Close Automatically on Arrival/Departure
- Custom commands to use with CoRE/WebCoRE
enableVacation(enable vacation mode)
disableVacation(disable vacation mode)
You can find detailed step by step installation instructions here
If you want to your garage doors to be open/close automatically when people arrive/leave check out the Garage Door Open/Close Automatically SmartApp. It allows you to select individual doors to open/close when people arrive or leave. It also has the ability to check if a Garage Door was left open (e.g. after arriving or opening manually) for a predetermined period of time and then close it automatically.
A big thank you to all our users and testers for your feedback and suggestions. If you have any feature requests please feel free to send them in to us
- The relay on/off interval is about 1 second, if it’s taking longer than that it indicates trouble with your mesh (zigbee/zwave) or communication with your relay. Typical things to look at, the device should be no further than about 20-30ft from the nearest repeater. Reboot the hub and do a Z-Wave repair. If you’re using a WiFi relay check for network delays. Check you internet connection as the solution runs in the ST cloud.
- This is does not create a UL compliant integrated garage door controller like the Linear or GoControl devices which are safer and more reliable
- The acceleration sensor is used to detect when the garage door is being operated physically (by force using an external button not connected to SmartThings)