[RELEASE] Heatit Z-Push Button (Official)

Contact Heatit for integration with SmartThings

Introducing the Heatit Z-Button device handler (DTH)

RBoy Apps is the official SmartThings partner for Heatit products

Heatit Z-Push Button series are Z-Wave Plus battery operated wall switches with 2, 4 or 8 buttons. The button enables you to control other products in your smart home system and trigger custom automations.

WHERE TO BUY THE BUTTONS

The buttons can be purchased from Heatit . It comes in the following models (each has white and black options):

Device Handler Screenshots

Key Features of the DTH

• Supports the 2, 4 and 8 button Z-Push Button models
  • Reports Pressed and Held mode for each button
  • Creates a separate device for each button (plus main button to support legacy apps)
  • Support for new/Classic ST app
  • Supports S2 security

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Device handler installation instructions can be found here. Once the device handler is installed, pair the device with the hub:

PAIRING INSTRUCTIONS

• Make sure the device is within 5ft of the hub and sometimes rebooting the hub helps before pairing and keep the ST mobile app open
  • Put the hub into S2 pairing mode (see TIPS below for S2 pairing) for improved performance and reliability
  • Press the top I and O buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds and then release them (the LED should turn on and after 10 seconds it should blink 6 times)
  • It should complete pairing within 30 seconds the device should show up on the ST app. If it doesn’t show up, reset the device, reboot the hub, bring the device closer and try again

TIPS

• This device supports S2 level security and performs better when using S2 mode. To pair it in S2 mode, from the new ST app, click + → Device → Select Generic Z-Wave Device from the list and then follow the instructions.
  • If you’re having trouble pairing the device, power cycle your hub and try to exclude the device first and move the keypad closer to the hub (or add a Z-Wave repeater)

EXCLUSION INSTRUCTIONS

• Make sure the device is within 5ft of the hub and sometimes rebooting the hub helps before pairing and keep the ST mobile app open
  • Start the device removal or exclusion process on the SmartThings app
  • Press the top I and O buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds and then release them (the LED should turn on and after 7 seconds the LED should blink 7 times)
  • If it doesn’t exclude, try to reset the device

FACTORY RESET

• Press the top I and O buttons simultaneously for atleast 10 seconds and then release them. The LED should turn on and then blink 4 times.

NOTES

• When a button reports an event (pressed or held), the Main Button reports the event along with the button number. The child button reports that event using button number 1. This allows the device to be used with apps which support multiple buttons (using the main button and button numbers) and which don’t support multiple buttons (using the respective child button).

You can also check out the following button related security and convenience apps

This Device type handler is available on the RBoy Apps Server, http://www.rboyapps.com. Refer to our website or facebook page below for the latest features and to get access to the server.

Visit our Facebook page for updates on new apps and to get Access to ALL our Premium Apps and Server. RBOY APPS SmartThings - Make your Home your Butler

(c) RBoy Apps

2 Likes

Just Z-wave devices?

1 Like

Corrected, you can control any device connected to your SmartThings hub either using custom Smartapps which support buttons or the built in automation rule triggers in the new ST app (for Pressed and Held).

1 Like

Do these appear to be EU Z-Wave only? No US Z-Wave frequency listed?

Hey there. These buttons are currently sold in the European region. You can send in a request to HeatIt support about your interest for a US version. My understanding is that they are considering US versions for some of their products. It always helps to hear directly from the customers.

Will it work with the ST Classic app?

Yes the device handler works with all apps and all ST hubs. Note that the ST app just shows the button status. You need a SmartApp or Automation to make use of it.

Just tested this, but it seems a bit buggy. Everything looks to be in place in smartthings, but when you try to add an action for the button it doesn’t let you choose. It just goes back to the Main menu for the button. But you can choose action for the main button, but then it does the same thing for all the other buttons on the controller, and when I tried using it for turning the light on/off, it turns it on and off again. Tle light doesn’t stay on.

It’s working fine on the iOS ST app, this is a bug with the Android ST app which appears to be having the issue.

You should report that to ST support (support@smartthings.com). The are all related to the automation actions which is a feature of the new ST App and not related to the DTH.

You can also use WebCoRE, CoRE or any SmartApp which supports buttons to create custom actions.

Thankfully you are right. Ironically it was working when I configured it on the iphone and not my S10+

1 Like

Any plans on supporting the Zigbee version of these buttons? Named Sunricher SR-ZG9001K8-DIM, Namron etc… https://www.elektroimportoren.no/namron-zigbee-4-kanaler-bryter-k8/4512703/Product.html?Event=livesearch

hi @RBoy i recently paid and signed up for the access to the paid custom device handler and unfortunately it didnt work correctly. Once i had assigned an action to the 1st button every time i tried to select an action for the any of the other buttons, it opened a blank screen and reverted back to the main device handler page.

Im hoping you can check this out and help me get a solution.

Thanks in advance.

See two posts above, it’s a bug with the new ST Android app (not related to the DTH). Tagging @erickv

1 Like

So whats the solution for this? Is there a work-around? Does anyone know what is causing the android app to glitch?

@RBoy i just tried it with an iphone as well, it allows me to assign the actions but once saved the actions that have been assigned dont actually work. The dth indicates when the specific button has been pressed, however it doesnt actually action the item assigned to it. Please kindly check it out.

Please report it to support@smartthings.com with a screenshot/video and reference ticket #938802 in your bug report. That is a new third party UI plugin from SmartThings which assigns/execute actions to buttons. We have also reported the issue to them. It’s a regression bug introduced in a recent update for child buttons. If enough users report the issue they will prioritize fixing it. Also tagging @jody.albritton

1 Like

@RBoy I will report issue to support, but can you not create a smartApp as a workaround in the meantime?
Instead of all of your customers have to use WebCore, CoRE or find SmartApps that supports buttons to create custom actions…

I have 2 Heatit Z-wave 8 units online.
One of them has a scene associated with 5 of the buttons, by means of simple automations now part of the new app. It is seldom used, maybe a couple of times every second week.

The other is for the time being not used by any automation or SmartApp.

Problem is that the first one drains it’s battery in about 2 months. The second one (not in use) lasts maybe 4 months.

Any idea why? (As I would believe this is not normal)

There is one option available, but that will make the DTH create a separate device for each button in the new app (unlike the current method where all the buttons show up on one device page). Meanwhile we’re working on an update to the DTH for the new app which will allow you to select each button in the Automation tool. ST is working out a few bugs at the backend and we’re waiting on that to make the release.

1 Like

Heatit Z-Push Button Device Handler - v02.00.00

• Update for new ST app
    • Support for Automation tool (now each button will show up separately in the automation tool and each button can be assigned an action on the device page)
    • Updated user interface
    • Support for new platform capabilities

NOTES

• The UI cache will need to be cleared for the changes to show up. Change the device handler to a Z-Wave Device and then back to this custom device handler from the IDE, then sign out of the ST mobile app and sign back in. If nothing else works, you may need to exclude your device, delete the device handler and reinstall it if the UI does not update after 24 hours.
  • The Automation tool will show the “Main” button (triggered if ANY button is pressed or held) + each individual buttons in order (pressed + held), however the new app does not display the button name as yet (SmartThings is aware of the issue)