Preview | SmartThings-managed Edge Device Drivers

As a part of the SmartThings Edge Beta, we are previewing a set of device drivers (Edge Drivers) managed by SmartThings that can be used with some of your Works with SmartThings devices.

These drivers will be made available with our new Driver Sharing feature for device testing and community distribution of Hub Connected devices. Previously, sharing Groovy Device Type Handlers (DTHs) required end-users to copy and paste the code for each individual device into their accounts. Now developers and users can create, share, and consume drivers outside of the SmartThings App with a unique URL.

Things to Know

Before getting started, there are a few things you should know about installing Edge drivers using the Driver Sharing feature:

• Driver Sharing provides access to Channels with groups of Drivers. Links will have the following format: https://api.smartthings.com/invitation-web/accept?id=[UNIQUE_ID]. Drivers installed from these links are use at your own risk; ensure the link is correct before selecting. After the beta is complete, devices officially supported by drivers will be available from the Add Device menu in the SmartThings App.

• This first release is primarily targeted for developers and advanced users - there may be bugs. For issues with SmartThings-managed drivers, you can submit bug reports via build@smartthings.com. For drivers built by third party developers, contact the developer directly.

• These drivers will only work with newly onboarded Hub Connected devices from the below categories. If you have existing devices that you would like to test , they will need to be deleted and then re-onboarded.

• All functionality provided with devices backed by Groovy DTHs may not be available with Edge Drivers. For example, the detailed device information will not be available in the SmartThings Groovy IDE (Graph).

Getting Started

Review the list of device categories below to determine if any of your devices are currently supported by Edge Drivers. If so, join the SmartThings Edge Beta channel with this link:
https://api.smartthings.com/invitation-web/accept?id=450930c1-02a6-43d8-adaa-4cbc51027956

Once clicking the link, follow these steps:

1. Sign into your Samsung Account and select Accept the Channel invite.
  2. Choose the target hub and select Enroll.
  3. Navigate to Available Drivers and install the one that matches your device.
  4. From the mobile app, onboard your device using the Scan Nearby option.

If you decide that you want to revert your device to the previous Groovy DTH, you will need to delete the device and uninstall the Edge Driver. To uninstall the Edge Driver, navigate to the Available Drivers page and select Uninstall on the driver to remove. Once the device has been deleted and the Edge Driver has been uninstalled, the device can be re-onboarded following the standard in-app process.

Looking Ahead

At this time, select Device Drivers and Driver Sharing are available for testing and feedback. If you have any questions or discover a bug, post them here or contact build@smartthings.com

In the future, OEMs will be able to submit their own Edge Device Drivers to SmartThings for WWST Certification testing and distribution in the SmartThings App. If you are an OEM and interested in learning more about certifying your driver, contact partners@smartthings.com.

### Drivers Available in the SmartThings Beta Invite Channel

https://api.smartthings.com/invitation-web/accept?id=450930c1-02a6-43d8-adaa-4cbc51027956

Edge Driver Name Protocol
Water Leak Sensor Zigbee
Carbon Monoxide Detector Zigbee
Valve ZWave
Smoke Detector Zigbee
Illuminance Sensor Zigbee
Power Meter Zigbee
Sound Sensor Zigbee
Vent Zigbee
16 Likes

Opening the link just gives me a spining circle and the smartthings logo after i tap accept. Can you check it out.

That is Samsung Authentication. Try signing out and back in to your Samsung Account.

1 Like

@jody.albritton Cleared cache on mobile chrome, tried again but still doesn’t work. Galaxy s20 ultra with android 11.

To me the same thing happens

1 Like

Is it region locked?

I hope not this $#!t again!

It really shouldn’t be. We’re tracking it down now.

2 Likes

Thank god! Please let us know when it is working.

1 Like

@SmartThings Could you also explain if the new edge drivers bring any more features to the devices?

For example, being able to force check for device firmware updates, or device settings, or enable more advanced control of devices instead of generic on off switches for mutlidevices.

Yes. For example, in our example Aeotec driver, we have a parameter for setting the PIR delay to any valid number. Reporting intervals can also be configured for temp/power monitors. Battery budgets will need to adjust accordingly. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@jody.albritton That is awesome news! Another big question is, do the new drivers mean that child devices such as ikea buttons and fibaro double switches are able to run locally as well?

P.s i am pretty sure i am repying to your posts but once it is posted, it creates a new reply without the post i used to reply on.

Edge drivers are local by default.

3 Likes

@jody.albritton Excellent! More good news! Which devices handlers will you be converting to the new edge drivers? Everthing inside the devices/SmartThings folder in github public?

@psbarrett if it helps, i get this when clicking on the driver invite link

1 Like

@SmartThings How will we be able to deferentiate which devices use the new drivers when adding them from the smartthings app?

1 Like

That’s very helpful. Thank you.

You’re in the EU (server) region, right? We’re currently thinking it might be a deployment issue there. Still tracking down exactly what.

1 Like

Yes i am in the EU. Lets hope it gets solved quickly.

1 Like

Hey, @Andremain

You can use the smartthings devices command to check the Type of the device.

For example, a zigbee device will join as type ZIGBEE if it is using a driver, and type DTH if it was integrated with a custom or default DTH.

2 Likes