Hub Connected Devices Now Use Edge Drivers

Starting on Tuesday, April 26, new devices onboarded to the SmartThings platform will begin to be backed by Edge (Lua-based) drivers. Note, this transition marks the start of a gradual process that will initially include a small number of devices but will expand to cover more over the coming months. This is an exciting announcement, which will be followed up by many more in the upcoming months as we complete the transition away from Groovy DTHs.

In addition to support for existing hub-connected device protocols (e.g., Zigbee, Z-Wave, LAN), SmartThings Edge will also enable Matter devices to be introduced to the ecosystem as soon as the Matter standard is finalized later this year. The immediate benefit of the shift from cloud-dependent to local control means users of Zigbee, Z-Wave, and LAN devices will experience improved reliability and reduced latency. Overall, the transition to onboarding devices with Edge drivers will be seamless for most users, with minimal impact to the routines/automations associated with these devices.

For more questions regarding this process, check out our support FAQs at the link here.

23 Likes

Is there a plan yet for how existing devices will transition to Edge drivers?

8 Likes

+1 for this.

And so the transition begins! Questions that hopefully SmartThings staff can answer:

1. How is this going to work for Samsung Connect Home and SmartThjngs Wi-Fi users who currently have some pretty big bugs with using edge drivers?
  2. will the user be prompted to login and install the driver as part of the onboarding flow or are the drivers now pre-installed?
6 Likes

Does this include zwave locks? :thinking:

5 Likes

Their still not on the list.

say what! :wink:

2 Likes

2 Likes

That’s what I get for typing too fast on my phone :joy: *prompted

2 Likes

I use energy monitoring on smartthings ZigBee plugs. As yet, I’ve not managed to find an edge driver that passes energy data, and so I’ve had to stick with cloud integrations.

Anyone know if this is resolved and what I do to move these local?

1 Like

There are several profiles with power monitoring in the Zigbee switch driver

All of the SmartThings plugs are assigned to that driver

1 Like

Ironically, all my edge based motion sensors stopped responding just after this announcement and I had to power cycle the hub. I guess it could have been infected with promotetes.

8 Likes

Good question! We do have a plan we are working on right now. Once we have more information on what’s next, we will be sure to let you know so please watch the announcements section for more information in the future.

4 Likes

Hey there, happy to answer both of those questions.

1. We are aware of the bugs affecting the Samsung Connect Home’s and SmartThings Wi-Fi’s use of edge drivers. We are currently working on a fix for this and will rollout these default drivers to those hubs once they are updated.
  2. There is no prompt or anything when onboarding the edge drivers. Once we release a new edge driver, onboarding that device will prompt the hub to download the correct driver.
6 Likes

We plan to gradually release these drivers for most of the Zigbee, Z-Wave, and LAN devices on the platform so that should include Z-Wave Locks once that driver is ready.

3 Likes

What is an example of a Lan device which will be local via edge?

To be a bit blunt… Edge drivers have been in development for quite a while now and people have been asking when we can migrate existing devices over practically since the initial release of them. And you’re just now “working on a plan”? I hope that is just the “public” answer and that on the back end you have a proper timeline that’s been in the works for longer.

1 Like

I currently have devices that I’ve connected to SmartThings and SmartThings set them too whatever the default DTH is for the device type. However, I’ve went into the IDE on some devices and changed their default DTH to something else. I either just change them to another type of SmartSense device on the long dropdown list, or sometimes I import a totally different device handler to set them to.

So now with this new way, once I add a device to SmartThings using this new driver method, will I be able to change whatever the default selected driver is to something else?

2 Likes

not in IDE. To switch it to a different Edge driver, you can go to the Device details screen and click on the three dots in the upper right and select Driver. From there you can choose a different Edge driver.

2 Likes

Ok, guess I’ll try a ZigBee smartbulb that I’m not using and connect it after the 26th to check this stuff out then.

1 Like