Hub Firmware Beta Group, get ready to migrate!

The SmartThings Development team is excited to share that we will begin the migration of Groovy DTH-backed devices to Edge drivers for current enrollees of the Hub Firmware Beta Group on Tuesday, May 24th. We will only migrate devices that are currently using one of the SmartThings published DTHs and have a fingerprint in a SmartThings published driver in the default channel - any devices using self-published DTHs will not be migrated at this time. This migration marks the start of a gradual process that will include more devices over the coming weeks and months. Users can find an up-to-date list of devices that are either pending migration or have been fully migrated here. After the migrations occur, impacted devices should continue to function normally (e.g., control via the SmartThings app, voice control, SmartApps and Automations). If you notice any unexpected behavior please file a ticket with details in Centercode.

Any current enrollee of the Hub Firmware Beta Group who does not wish to have their DTH-backed devices automatically migrated to Edge drivers can choose to opt-out of the Hub Firmware Beta Group by updating their preferences via the Account Settings menu item in Centercode. This opt-out will need to occur by no later than Monday, May 23rd.

FAQs

• Q: How is this different from the Hub Connected Devices Now Use Edge Drivers announcement several weeks ago?
    • A: The previous announcement regarding Edge drivers required applicable hub-connected devices to be onboarded (or re-onboarded) for them to use Edge drivers and is open to all SmartThings users. This announcement pertains to the migration of existing Groovy DTH-backed hub-connected devices to Edge drivers, without the need to onboard (or re-onboard). At this time, this migration will only be available to SmartThings users that have signed up to the Hub Firmware Beta Group.
  • Q: How can I confirm my device has been migrated to an Edge driver?
    • A: You can confirm which devices have been migrated to Edge drivers by reviewing the list of migrated devices here. You can also identify whether a device is Edge-backed in the SmartThings app using the following steps:
      • Open the SmartThings app and select the device
      • Choose More Options (â‹®) at the top right
      • Edge-enabled devices will list Driver as an option
  • Q: Will DTH-backed devices that are automatically migrated to Edge drivers need to be re-onboarded?
    • A: No.
  • Q: What about devices that are backed by community written DTHs, will those be migrated now?
    • A: Not at this time. Note, Developers who have written community DTHs are encouraged to prepare for the eventual sunset of groovy DTHs by re-writing those as Edge drivers as soon as possible.
  • Q: Will any routines/automations that include devices that have been automatically migrated need to be recreated?
    • A: No. If you encounter issues, please let us know through Centercode or by replying to this Community thread.
  • Q: Is there a published schedule of when devices will be migrated? How will I know that my device(s) have been migrated?
    • A: There is no published schedule for when particular device types will be migrated, however we will provide a running list of which devices have been migrated after that migration has occurred.

Hub Targets

• Samsung SmartThings Hub 2015 (Hub v2)
  • Samsung SmartThings Hub 2018 (Hub v3)
  • Aeotec Smart Home Hub

Release Date

• Release Date: Starting May 24th, 2022
11 Likes

I guess you have done an analysis and there is plenty of trade for you. For my part the only reason I have any devices still using stock DTHs is because they are fingerprinted for the DTHs but haven’t been fingerprinted for Edge drivers yet, so nothing will change.

1 Like

404 on that link

The link earlier in the post works. This one links to feature/migration-notes instead of main.

Fixed. Thanks

Hello HalD,

If you don’t not want to be part of our Hub Firmware Beta Group that’s fine. This post will not be applicable to you then.

Thank you and let me know if you have more questions.

1 Like

OK, if a device is currently using a DTH driver it will be automatically migrated over to an Edge driver, but what about a device that’s currently using the SmartThings Edge Beta driver, will it be automatically migrated over to the SmartThings Edge Production driver?

3 Likes

Great Question! Thank you for your communication.

Correct, if a device is using a SmartThings owned DTH it will be migrated over to an edge driver.
If your device is currently using and Edge Driver that is subscribed to our Beta channel, it will remain subscribed to the Beta channel.

1 Like

Ok, thanks.

Since it will remain on the SmartThings Edge Beta channel driver, can I change the SmartThings Edge Beta channel device driver over to the SmartThings Edge Production driver manually in the SmartThings app then?

2 Likes

Hello DaWeav,

If your device is supported by a Beta Driver, through the Beta Channel, you will get the latest versions of that Driver. If you want to move that device to be supported by Non-Beta Drivers and on the Default channel then you will need to take the following steps:

1. Delete your device
  2. Uninstall that driver associated with that device from your hub
  3. Rejoin the device, if the fingerprint is available in the default channel (If it is not then it may join as backed by the DTH. Which in that case we will later migrate it to Lua for you).

I like your idea of being able to do this in the app and understand that this is additional time spent by you.

Thank you again for your engagement! We are so thrilled to talk with you.

I hope that is only temporary because it doesn’t make any sense.

Intuitively, users will expect the default/production channel to be accessible in exactly the same way as the beta channel or any other channel. Although the beta version of the driver may be essentially identical to the default/production one it needs to identify as a different driver. The user must be able to choose between default/production, beta and community drivers for a device as they see fit.

3 Likes

Hi @alissa.dornbos
Wouldn’t it be possible since the default channel of the stock drivers is accessible to the Hub, that you could use the driver change tool of the App?

When the fingerprint of that device is in the driver of the default channel, it offers it to you as a compatible driver to use.

Thank you for the request. This is not supported currently to switch channels from the Beta Channel to the Default Production Channel via the Mobile App.

1 Like

OK. I could see that this might not even be possible without repackaging the driver. Just seems a bit restrictive if you have multiple devices on the same driver.

What about switching between default and community written drivers? Anyone been able to look at that yet?

This means that the driver of the Beta channel and that of the default channel is the same driver and is always updated to the same version as the default?

Therefore, it would be indifferent from which channel the driver in use comes from?

Thanks

With the release of Edge-drivers for Z-Wave Switches 6-days ago, I have not seen any of my GE Jasco Z-Wave switches transition to Edge.

Any ideas on the timing of the process from Github release to hub transition?

All of my supported light switches are all currently running with the Generic DTH:

And my devices are definitely in the Edge driver fingerprint:

I think you might be replying in the wrong thread @jkp :grinning:

Currently only hub firmware beta participants are eligible to have a select few devices automatically migratded from Groovy DTH to Edge drivers. The first link in the first post shows the list of eligible devices that will migrate. Currently it’s only Z-wave water valves.

That’s what I thought, but then this Production repo had the Z-Wave switches (along with a bunch of other drivers) added last week:

I was under the impression that this repo is the Production repo for Edge drivers:

If you add a device that matches a fingerprint in that repo, it’ll join with the Edge driver. Several people have posted about new GE switches joining with a driver.

Migration of existing devices is at a very early stage for those in the firmware beta group. The list of devices that have been or are planned to migrate soon is here. I think they’re done with those currently listed as coming soon since my Springs Window Fashions remotes have all been migrated for a week or more.

What @philh30 said. Right now it looks like the Edge driver rollout is going in steps for batches of devices:

1. manually install from beta channel
  2. production channel with automatic discovery when adding a NEW (or reset) device
  3. Automatic migration from DTH to Driver