Just figured I would post the other thing I’ve made so far. I found this instructable through a friend at work:
And bought a few of those door sensors from MonoPrice because they were relatively cheap at 24 bucks and they had the 3rd unused switch that was unused internally and had it’s own screw down block. So from there I did the following:
- drilled two small holes
- wrapped two lengths of bare wire double helix style down a length of nylon rope (so they never actually touch)
- zip tied both ends to keep the bare wire in place on the rope
- attached the two bare wires to each of the screw down terminals
- closed up the mono price door sensor, hot glued and duct taped it to make it water “proof”
- wrote a new device type based on the zwave water sensor (had to reverse some logic and change some versions)
After that I tested it. Here is a very short video if you want to see. Worked great! Was very happy. I’m pretty sure I don’t need to worry about debouncing the water shorting the wires together as a button press, but I still need to confirm completely.
Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. I will post the code on github also shortly.