FAQ: SHM and STHM are different

Just to make sure everybody’s talking about the same thing…This FAQ is for people using both the V2 classic app and the 2018 V3 app.

The security feature in the classic app is SHM, Smart Home Monitor.

The security feature in the new V3 app is STHM, SmartThings Home Monitor.

These are two completely separate pieces of code.

Security mode set or changed (or an alert dismissed) in an automation created in the classic app will only affect SHM. .

Security mode set or changed (or an alert dismissed) in an automation created in the new V3 app will only affect STHM.

So if you have rules you created in the classic app, you will never see those change the security state in the new V3 app. You have to recreate the rule using the new V3 app to see security mode changes in the V3 app.

3 Likes

I wish this could be a sticky @JDRoberts.

It probably is worthwhile to note that if you decide to remove the classic app, you will also need to remove all of the rules that have to do with SHM in the classic app. Just deleting the app will not delete the rules in SHM in the classic app. And being that you have deleted the app, you won’t be able to clear any alarms until you reinstall the classic app.

3 Likes

Thanks! I made it an Automation FAQ so at least it will be easy to find again later. :wink:

Good point about deleting!

1 Like

I don’t think there is anything that Samsung isn’t doing to make this transition as complicated and frustrating as possible for people making this transition. I mean, by the law of large numbers they should get at least a couple of decisions right, shouldn’t they? Either they have really bad luck or are just choosing to not care. So sad. :cry:

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.