UK V2 Hub not communicating with Hue devices (June 2023)

Thanks for the reference to the FAQ. I’ve ordered a new Hue Hub and will try installing it when it arrives next week. I’ll keep you posted.

It turns out I have a lot more Hue devices than I realized–perhaps a dozen or more–and my Hue app won’t even communicate with the v1 Hue Hub now, so I can’t control any of them through Hue or SmartThings and most are on unswitched circuits, so it’s chaos here.

I’d upgrade my v1 SmartThings hub too, but my understanding is that there’s no migration tool for v1 devices, routines, and automations, so freeing several dozen devices from the old hub and then rebuilding everything using a new one would be a nightmare. So, while I know there’s little hope in the long-term, I’m holding out as long as possible. -m

Same issue as most folks: ST can’t control Hue devices, Hue app (and Apple Home, for that matter) works fine.

Started on 2023-07-18, location is Canada. Hue devices connected to ST locally via the Hue hub.

1 Like

Am also here experiencing the same hue/smartthings issue. Started within the last two weeks

In US,
ST hub v2,
Hue hub v1, bulbs no longer working.
Worked flawlessly yrs.
I’m at wits end and after loving ST for years, I’m now hating ST…

For years I had several dual relays/switches working, now they don’t.
For years phones as presence sensors worked great, no longer reliable.
And how Hue bulbs are all useless through STs.

Enough is enough.

Same issue here. I have turned on access to my account. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Same issue here. I’m in the US, SmartThings WIFI v3 with Hue Hub v2. Can’t control Hue lights, but they show connected in SmartThings (just in the OFF state). I can control my lights with Google Home or the Hue app, just not "Smart"Things.

Well, mine was working OK fora stretch there and as of this morning (July 23rd) Smartthings can’t control my Hue lights anymore. @nayelyz my hub is still open to you for troubleshooting - any chance someone can take a look?

I’ll add my similar case as a link:

I noticed this week my aeotec st hub not communicating with my hue devices. I have the hue hub v2 connected directly to the aeotec hub for LAN control. Had worked flawlessly for a long time until recently. The hue hub shows up in smartthings but I couldn’t control my hue devices through smartthings. I have since deleted the hue hub from the aeotec hub which removed all my hue devices with it. I had no issues reintegrating the hue hub with the aeotec hub again for LAN control, it is showing up in the smartthings app as connected, however none of my hue devices are showing up in smartthings. The hue hub is running of the smartthings driver for philips hue devices, the default setup. Very frustrating. I’m in Australia, not the UK, but same issue as everyone else.

I also have the smartthings wifi hubs at home. I thought I would turn the hub portion of those back on and integrate the hue hub with the wifi hub. Connected without issues just like with the aeotec hub, however this time all my hue devices actually showed up in smartthings and can be controlled. In the smartthings app there is no option to view the driver when the hue hub is connected to the smartthings wifi hub. So I decided to dig a little deeper and view my devices in the ide web portal. I can see both entries for the hue hub connected to both the aeotec and my smartthings wifi hub. There is one distinct difference though. The hue hub connected to the aeotec hub shows as a LAN device type with local execution, but the hue hub connected to the smartthings wifi hub shows as a DTH device type with cloud execution.

Just in the past couple days, my routines stopped working properly which caused me to dig in and realize it’s the Hue lights, from ST integration. Hue works find from Hue app. Aeotec hub, v2 Hue bridge. 2023-07-12 driver version

Also lost control of my Hue lights through smart things app. Worked fine for years up until a few weeks ago. I’m unable to trouble shot.

I am having the same issuer in the US. 2023-07-12 drivers. Returned from vacation to find none of my automations using Hue lights work and I can’t control them from the SmartThings app. Google Home and Hue app work fine.

I’m posting my experience in case it may help others dealing with similar issues as all of my devices (Philips Hue, Z-wave switches, Wemo plugs, sensors, etc.) have been working again on my Smartthings Hub (v2) and controllable via the Smartthings App for the past several days. For the past few weeks as Edge drivers were being pushed out, more and more of my devices were becoming unresponsive in the Smartthings App, some displayed message that not all of the device’s status information has updated yet, going offline or couldn’t be re-added after exclusion. All the usual “fixes” (excluding and re-adding devices, factory resetting devices, Z-wave repair, trying community drivers, rebooting hub, etc.) didn’t work. I also opened a support ticket with Smarthings support that was being escalated when I decided to try something different as follows: My hub is connected to a network switch, so I re-connected it directly to the router. I then temporarily turned off my router’s built-in firewall and cybersecurity features. My initial focus was trying to get all of my z-wave switches working, so I excluded all devices that used the z-wave switch driver. I then deleted all the z-wave switch drivers from the hub via the advanced users page on my.smartthings.com, rebooted the hub and re-added the z-wave switch devices. Once added, the z-wave switches became responsive in the Smartthings App. Within an hour all other devices (including my Hue devices) started working again in the App without any action on my part and I moved the hub back to its original location and connected it directly to the network switch and re-enabled my router’s firewall/cybersecurity settings. I don’t know whether any particular action, combination of actions, something Samsung did behind the scenes, or random luck got my devices working again, but glad to have a working Smartthings ecosystem again. Good luck everyone.

Follow-up: In summary, all is now well, but it took several hours of effort, detailed below.

Details:

I ordered and installed a new Hue Hub. Migration from a v1 Hue Hub is no longer supported, so I had to start from scratch. I had issues getting the new hub connected, so I called Hue support, which was very responsive, through what followed was VERY tedious and consumed the better part of a day.

I couldn’t release my Hue devices from the old Hue Hub, so I had to register them with the new Hub manually by serial number, which required removing every bulb and entering serial numbers one-by-one in the Hue app. It was particularly difficult finding serial numbers on Hue Light Strips, which required another call to Hue technical support and quite a bit of subsequent effort dismantling and then reinstalling the strips.

After adding all my Hue devices to the new Hue Hub by serial number, I [re]associated the new Hue Hub with SmartThings, deleted the “old” Hue device registrations from SmartThings, added the newly reregistered and reconfigured Hue devices, and amended all my SmartThings rooms, automations, and routines to return them to their former functional characteristics. Everything is back to normal … for now.

I expect I’ll have to update my v1 SmartThings hub in the not-too-distant future, so I’ll have to endure all this again and a lot more downstream, since I’ll probably have to start from scratch then too, but this time for EVERYTHING instead of just my much more limited set of Hue devices.

I’m an IT professional so I’m better equipped than most to grapple with these sorts of issues, but my heart goes out to more typical consumers who assume smart homes are an appliance-like convenience. The products usually work well when new, enticing you to invest and expand, and then it all comes crashing down around you and your family as the landscape evolves.

Caveat emptor!

@nayelyz any updates on this?

I have just looked at my smartthings setup through the advanced web app portal again. The Samsung smartthings WiFi Hub has eventually installed the edge driver for Philips Hue and the hue hub is now connected as a LAN device type with local execution as apposed to the DTH device type with cloud execution that it had originally after pairing. The hue devices are still operating and functional through the smartthings app despite this change. Exact same driver installed now on both the Aeotec Hub and the Samsung Smartthings WiFi Hub, Philips Hue driver 2023-07-12T20:36:18.057262343. So maybe it’s not an issue with the edge driver then but the smartthings hub firmware.

The V1 SmartThings hub was discontinued in June of 2021 and should not have been operational for more than a year. So I suspect you must have a different model. What’s the model number?

You can find a list of model numbers and associated generation names in the community-created wiki:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Hubs

It can get confusing because the first model ever sold for the UK was generationally a V2, not a V1. Different technical specs. Again, the wiki article will detail these by model number.

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention JD!

My model# is STH-ETH-200, so, according to the community-created wiki you referenced, I have a V2 hub rather than a V1 as I had originally assumed. This is something of a comfort since it suggests I may get more useful life from my hub than I previously expected, but this prefatory note on the same wiki page is disheartening: “As of January 2023, there are no migration utilities available, so if you want to move from one model hub to a different model, or even just replace a faulty hub with one of the same model, you have to completely rebuild your network from scratch.”

Given the several dozen Z-Wave, Zigbee, and Hue devices I manage and all the associated configurations, routines, and automations I’ve built over the years, this is VERY discouraging news. If I have to rebuild my smart home from scratch someday, I’ll almost certainly abandon SmartThings and rebuild using a more robust and reliable platform.

In any case, I’m grateful for your reconnaissance.

Michael

@nayelyz any update? 5 days now with now control over Hue lights except via the Hue app.