Does Smartthings Integrate with the Ring Video Doorbell 2

Hello everyone,

I can see that Smartthings integrates with the original Ring Video Doorbell and Ring Video Doorbell Pro. My question is whether or not Smartthings integates with the Ring Video Doorbell 2, because of the enhanced features like 1080p?

Yes it works, but the video does not function in ST
Check out this thread

yes it does

1 Like

i have ring doorbell 2. change device handler to pro

Not working for me with Pro DTH. I also get “device is unavailable message”
Doorbell is connected through a Chime Pro device and workis in Ring phone app

mine use to look like that, than 2-3 weeks later changed to normal.
this is IDE screen

and Data and States

Similar setup. However my device is a V3 not a V4

I have a Ring 2 doorbell, and found I could successfully install the Ring smartapp by adding a device manually and selecting it from the Doorbell section. It does not display video though. I see one comment suggesting one needs to use the pro version so I installed that instead, but it still doesn’t show video. Has anyone got any ideas on how to make the video work please? Also I can’t see how to make ST generate an alert when the doorbell rings or when motion is detected, which is what I would like to achieve.

After you manually asign Pro device handler, close your classic app (force stop), and clear your smartthings classic app cache, and it will show up immediately.

I would like to try this, how do you clear the cache on the iPhone please ? I have tried turning phone on and off but still can’t get it to show the video feed.

What did you originally install with, Ring Doorbell, or RD PRO?

how did you do this?

Just add Ring normally through Add Things > Doorbells > Ring Video Doorbell. Then change device to pro in IDE. Doorbell needs to be hardwired to have video stream in both Smartthing apps, as all Ring camera devices.
You’ll have doorbell in both apps

I’m having a problem with retrieving the livestream. I used to be able to see the doorbell video (I have the Ring Pro), but when I checked it recently, I always get an error message “There was a problem retrieving the livestream” whenever I try. The video feed within the Ring app works fine, and so do the motion & doorbell notifications. Just the live feed from the ST app is not working. And I know it used to work about half a year ago… Any solutions?

For what it’s worth, I just installed the Ring Doorbell 2 on battery power and got video feedback on the ST app by following the “add device as Pro, then update in IDE” directions. So it may not necessarily need to be hardwired for the Doorbell 2.

2 Likes

What is IDE?

IDE is https://account.smartthings.com

I’m at a bit of a loss as to the value of this integration. What does it enable one to do that can’t be accomplished with the native app?

Mostly, you can use the door bell as a motion sensor in Smartthings and can build automation based on motion detection. For example, I turn my front porch light for a few minutes each time it detects motion after sunset.

1 Like

What Tyler said. Also, I get notifications when someone approaches my door.

1 Like