The End of Groovy Has Arrived

Honestly, I have been less that pleased with mine. They have not really had an impact on fixing the hotter parts of the house and they are forever going off line, I am not sure if it is the chip going offline because of traffic or the batteries loosing contact because of thermals.

1 Like

Looks like he moved on to Hubitat

1 Like

That is what I thought, but because I was not 100% sure

Wonder if Sharptools would provide more capabilities to create more complex triggers and actions than are available with routines? And since existing SmartApps run in the cloud anyway, there is no new downside to using a different cloud based solution.

2 Likes

Ditto. I’ve removed all 12 of my vents from ST. They drain batteries like crazy, and like you’ve said - they go offline a lot.

@LadySapphy
I’m also looking for an exit strategy for the Keen vents. Mine are still running and controlled with Ecobee suite manager but that’ll be dying soon. Hopefully I can find a usable home assistant solution.

+1 on the batteries. I have one vent with an outlet nearby I hardwired in.

1 Like

For the sake of coming full circle, a simple reboot of the hub did the trick. Should have been one of the first things I tried but I was too stubborn since everything else seemed to be working. Still curious what could have caused this but for now the wife and kids are glad their buttons work again. I hope they’ll add this (Reboot Hub) and other utilities to the App when IDE sunsets.

3 Likes

Good afternoon, my aeotec smartthing hub keeps having constant offline problems every day and all the time. The Hub keeps disconnecting itself, going offline, the zigbee e z-wave devices paired to it go offline when the hub is disconnected. It’s been almost 3 months in this situation since the firmware update 0.45.9 and 0.45.11, it hasn’t solved anything, the problems continue. I’m losing confidence in the Hub and the smartthings platform that don’t solve these problems, I’ve tried everything to make the problem stop: I reset the hub to factory default and also tried to change the zigbee channel, none of them solved, the hub stays disconnecting alone, even with stable internet. Rorina and automations do not run or with huge delay. When this problem persists. I have to turn the hub off and on every day, when these constant offline problems happen. After all, when are they going to release a new firmware update that fixes these serious and serious problems. I’ve already tried contacting smartthings support and they just bullshit me, they don’t solve any problems. Lack of shame in the face of not solving these problems. When are they going to fix it. I will have to migrate to another platform in the future if these issues are not resolved.

how many Edge drivers do you have installed on your hub?

2 Likes

Hi there!

I would like to know if Hubconnect will still works after the groovy shutdown ? I m checking if it could be a good idea to use it for some devices before to transfer every devices... but if it ll stop working it gives nothing...

Thanks!

Will you share your word file of the transition?
if so, darth.milroy@gmail.com

HubConnect will no longer work as it currently requires Groovy. Groovy will be shut down at some point soon. The developer has indicated he will no longer maintain it and do the work it requires to get it to work with the new architecture. There are two other replacements I have seen posted that will have similar functionality that you can look at:

haha search is failing me so hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction.

1 Like
1 Like

These and other postGroovy projects that enable integration with outside systems are on the quick browse lists in the community-created wiki on the list for “edge services.“

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Quick_Browse_Lists_for_Edge_Drivers

Sounds interesting, but the only things is that webcore will only works on the HE side, so if everything is mirrored in ST hub, I wont be able to use webcore with ST devices unless its virtual devices… If I understand…

I would like to be able to get devices from ST to HE to be able to use it with webcore without transfering everything…

That’s exactly what the multiple projects that have just been mentioned will do. They all do it with proxy devices which are virtual devices, but may be handled a bit differently on the two sides. But you don’t have to transfer your devices to the other hub for network communication.

So far there are two community – created projects specifically for communication with hubitat, and you could also use MQTT since there is now an edge driver project for that and Hubitat already supports MQTT.

So there are at least three existing methods for replacing the old groovy hubconnect in a way similar to what you described. Each has different features and requirements, so you’ll need to do a little research to see what will be best for you. :thinking:

Hubithings is probably your best bet for that. It will clone existing ST devices across the cloud to an HE instance as virtual devices on that side. Then you can use Webcore to control those virtuals.

Mira is designed to go the other way. Take real/virtual HE devices and clone them to ST virtuals. You could create routines between the Mira managed ST virtuals and your real ST devices (for instance, for switches you could use a routine to mirror the behavior between the real switch and the Mira virtual, and that behaviour would then be replicated across to HE), but its more moving parts than Hubithings would require. OTOH, Mira is 100% local hub to hub direct.

Good luck!

2 Likes

HubiThings Replica will do exactly that. If you have questions on how it all works, please feel free to post them in the following thread and we’ll be happy to answer them. It is currently in beta, but release and inclusion in HPM is imminent.

1 Like
4 Likes

There has to be some serious reason why they are doing it OR they are using $40 developers and winging it. The entire migration strategy is simply: a joke. Critical smart applications like smart lighting, better lock management, etc. should have been the first step rather than devices. A substantially better routine module too.I am okay as I knew about 12/31 and got everything moved out but now not having the power of Webcore is really hitting me. I have like +50 routines with no way to group them, tag or categorize them and over 40 virtual devices. Simply put - very badly done.