Update to SmartThings Groovy Transition

We previously announced our plans for migrating devices, SmartApps, and the platform from Groovy and other legacy SmartThings architecture. We are excited to announce that we have made major progress this year including the following.

• Millions of devices have been migrated from Groovy to LUA drivers
  • Our two most popular SmartApps, SmartLighting and SevereWeather Alert, have started migration
  • We added Edge Drivers for new device installations in SmartThings

We’ve also made dozens of changes in the background to improve SmartThing’s overall performance.

There is still a lot of work ahead of us going into 2023, but we will be pausing our migration efforts for the holiday season to ensure stability.

We plan on transitioning devices and the platform after the new year. To provide more insight into what devices are being migrated, we have created a list of device types that have already been migrated and will continue to update this list as migrations continue. You can find that list HERE.

We have received multiple inquiries regarding virtual devices, and have a plan in place to migrate individual devices. More information will be provided on this topic in a separate announcement.

In order to ensure a smooth transition and a desire for minimal interruptions to our users, we will be extending the transition timeline from December 31st into early 2023. Groovy devices and SmartApps will sunset soon once we have completed migrations (Note: Groovy SmartApps and Devices may be sunset at different times).

If you are a developer of Groovy DTHs or SmartApps, we recommend you transition to our newer architecture as soon as possible to avoid losing the functionality of your project.

We appreciate your continued support of SmartThings and we look forward to improving the platform even more in 2023!

27 Likes

I appreciate the extra time. I’m deeply dependent on several smart apps that are still being migrated by their developers.

Shutting down the platform before they are fully migrated would be very disruptive, so I hope you can check in and monitor migration progress and only shut things down once migrations are complete.

In my case, I’m very concerned about the Rental Lock Automator and some companion apps for managing thermostats based on hub status (home, away, etc).

Thank you for thinking about your community user’s needs.

Geoff

6 Likes

@SmartThings please provide as much specific cutover info as you can. For those of us using groovy apps/handlers in commercial/production environments it’s critical to know when things are going to change so personnel and logistics can be coordinated before or immediately after migrations.

3 Likes

While my setup has completely moved to Edge/LUA I’d like to bring forward a critical gap. @SmartThings

Your routines are pathetically under powered. For some specific use cases only providing an “IF” clause, no local or global variable definition, no other form of control like case, for, while, etc. is seriously causing me issues with automation.
An example: If a door sensor says closed but associated lock is unlocked, then usually I try to lock after XX minutes, automatically. The problem here is sometimes the lock does not go into the hole as the door’s slightly ajar but sensor (being magnetic) is closed. In which case that routine will run forever till batteries are drained for the lock!
<< TWO>>
IDE provided a web based platform to see all the devices, etc. Is there something equivalent, like a dashboard?

3 Likes

my.smartthings.com

or a community developed:

for iOS users there is an app:

3 Likes

I’ll stick to my.smartthings.com
I am pretty sure this will improve over time.

You could add a virtual switch to your routine to act as a failsafe timer. Something like:

• On the door closed routine, set a virtual switch to closed, with a re-open-in (XX times 3) setting.
  • On your auto lock routine, have it check if the virtual is closed for XX minutes.
  • Add another routine that if the lock is successfully locks, and the door is closed, open the failsafe virtual, cancelling it.

It will stop trying to lock once the virtual timer expires and it re-opens.

You can often use virtual switches in this manner. They work great as timers, boolean state variables, etc.

5 Likes

It does not work. That’s probably the first thing I tried. When the routine which tries to auto lock starts it caches probably the IF conditions and does not check anymore if the underlying device status changed.

Thus, even if the virtual device toggles its state, from on to off or vice versa due to expiry, the auto routine continues to run.

Thanks and regards,

Baivab

My wifi hub still says it doesn’t support edge drivers. I have a support ticket and they have been no help at all. The only reason I used the smartthings hubs is so I can have connected control displays. If anyone knows of a good alternative to this besides smartthings, please let me know.

1 Like

Usually the best alternative to the SmartThings WiFi mesh hubs is pretty much any other popular WiFi mesh system and a SmartThings/Aeotec V3 hub.

You get all the same SmartThings features, better edge driver support, and usually WiFi mesh that doesn’t require a constant cloud connection.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-SmartThings-Gateway-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B08TWDNQ5Q/

You only need one Aeotec hub. If you were using the repeating capabilities of the subhubs, you can just put a zigbee and a zwave smart plug in that area and get same repeating effect.

There’s no migration utility, though, so you do have to rebuild your Network from scratch, which is annoying. But feature wise, it should be pretty straightforward. It does require some additional devices than your previous set up, but it should work better.

Otherwise why don’t you start a new thread and give details on what you want for “connected control displays” and people can help you there. :thinking:

tagging @nayelyz

1 Like

I have two SmartThings V3 hubs. They work fine with my displays. Just can’t install any edge drivers. Maybe they need a firmware update, but can’t figure out how to make that happen. Support doesn’t seem to understand the issue. It’s frustrating.

Ah— that’s an entirely separate issue. I know some other people have reported it, but I don’t know what the current diagnosis is. I’m sure it’s very frustrating. :rage:

1 Like

what is the firmware version of your hub?

model numbers for the hubs? 43.5 sounds like the firmware for the ST Wi-Fi mesh router with plume. if you have the v3, you are definitely behind but
i believe that version handles Edge drivers. 45.x is the latest for the v2/v3 hubs with 46.x currently in beta testing.

3 Likes

As @jkp says, that doesn’t sound like a V3 hub. Can you tell us the model numbers? They should be on the underside of each hub.

The following page in the community - created wiki lists the model numbers for each hub.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Hubs

1 Like

Model # ET-WV525 I thought it was a V3, could be wrong. It says SmartThings Wi-Fi on the back. Thanks for your help.

Not a V3. That’s a “Samsung WiFi with Plume”, and they have known issues with edge drivers right now. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Thanks! That explains it.

1 Like