The End of Groovy Has Arrived

migrated to an Edge Driver you mean :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dummy question. How do you move anything to Edge from their current protocol?

If you want to manually move it, you have to go through the following steps right now

1. identify any routines using that device. These will probably be deleted when you delete the device. If you’re OK with that, you can just rebuild the routines later. If not, you may want to add a virtual device or another device to that routine, just to prevent it from being deleted

2. remove the device from your account

3. if there is a custom DTH that was being used by that device, you also need to delete it, but note that you will not be able to add it back again, because they have removed the add DTH feature from the IDE. So be sure that’s what you want to do.

4. if there is a custom edge driver that you want to use, you need to get it downloaded to your hub by subscribing to that channel. You can also subscribe to the official Beta smartthings channel to get more drivers that way.

5. once the edge driver that you want to use is on your hub, go ahead and re-add the device to your account, if necessary using the “scan nearby“ option in the app. It should automatically find the edge driver that matches its fingerprint.

6. now you can rebuild the routines to use the device again.

And if that sounds like a lot of work, it is. The only reason you have to do all of that now is because right now two different architectures are still operating: the old one and the new one that uses edge. So a lot of people are just waiting for the automatic migration to see how much of that works for them.

Once the transition period is over and everything is operating on the new architecture, you won’t have to go through all the steps again. When you add a new device, it will get a new edge driver.

This whole manual process is only required for people who want to get started early before the official transition process is complete.

If you need details on each of the individual steps, see the community FAQ on edge:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

1 Like

Oops! :face_with_peeking_eye:

Thanks for the correction, I have edited my post above.

1 Like

Edge and matter are two completely different Things which just both happen to be happening at about the same time.

1. Matter is a new independent third-party standard, which is being adopted by much of the home automation industry, including most of the big players: Amazon, apple, Google, Samsung, Philips, Tuya, Aqara, IKEA, and many more.

2. the purpose of matter is to make it easier for end consumers to know whether new products that they want to buy will work with their existing home automation products, in particular, the major voice assistants: Siri, Alexa, Google, and Bixby. And to make installing new products easier.

The idea is you will no longer have to try to figure out on your own whether some new inexpensive Wi-Fi device will work with what you already have. If it has a matter logo, and your platform of choice supports matter, it probably will. so that’s nice. :sunglasses:

Consumer reports has a particularly good matter FAQ:

And there’s a thread in this forum where people are discussing how Matter impacts smartthings

Matter - smart home connectivity standard (formerly Project CHIP)

1. smartthings is going to support matter, but not all features of matter. At the time of this writing, it’s basically a one-way integration in. Once matter devices are widely available, you should be able to add pretty much anything with the matter logo to your smartthings account and see it in the smartthings app. No custom code required. But smartthings is not going to support integration outwards: you still won’t be able to add a smartthings hub and its associated devices to, for example, the IKEA app or Apple’s home app.
  1. There’s a lot more stuff to say about matter, but it will all be happening behind the scenes, so see the matter discussion thread linked to above for those details.

2. edge is unique to Smartthings, and it’s just one part of a years long project to get rid of the free groovy hosting that smartthings used to provide. It only applies to devices that talk directly to a smartthings/Aeotec hub. It Is hoped that it will provide better speed and reliability, but we honestly don’t know for sure yet. And it does NOT get rid of the smartthings cloud: smartthings employees have posted in this forum that the system still assumes that the hub is almost always cloud connected. And the smartthings app always requires the cloud. So edge will provide more local processing, but not local-only processing.

So it’s a new smartthings – specific architecture replacing an older smartthings – specific architecture.

Here again is the link to the community FAQ on edge

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

1. There is a small overlap between edge and matter in that the smartthings method for implementing matter will involve edge drivers for matter devices, just like there are edge drivers for Zigbee devices and edge drivers for Z wave devices. But particularly for Matter all of this should happen behind the scenes: you just add the matter-compatible device to your account and it should automatically find the right edge driver if one is needed.
8 Likes

It seems to be perpetually being paused/extended.

Wonder how long it will be before the final axe actually falls?

2 Likes

Not to the extent that some would suggest. For example when it comes to migration of the stock handlers the very first post of this thread includes this in the timeline 

Q1 of 2023

· Complete 1st Party DTH migrations

· Shutdown Graph IDE

That was edited on 21st September but is consistent with ‘a few months’ in the original version.

There has been some lazy writing by ST in places, but also some lazy reading.

8 Likes

and in addition it was a wise move, IMO, for the ST team to move the final steps out past the holiday season.

4 Likes

I’ve been following this thread and have been patiently waiting for my devices to be moved over to the new edge drivers, but as of today, I still have many devices that appear to not have migrated.

From the groovy IDE, all my z-wave Leviton in-wall outlets, Smartthings (original) motion and multi sensors, Schlage z-wave locks, Belkin wemo switches, and Xiaomi ambient light sensors still don’t show “placeholder”.

Should I be worried that they will just fail to work once groovy is shut down?

Everything will be fine. Do not panic!

3 Likes

Agree! All migrations were/are paused for the holidays.

For what it’s worth I have had one Leviton DZ6HD and one DZ15S automatically migrated. Both are now using the stock “Z-wave Switch” edge driver.

Another DZ6HD is still using the stock DTH. And my lone Samsung motion sensor is unmigrated.

Ha ha, famous last works

dontpanic-everything-is-fine

2 Likes

So I have been pretty vocal about this migration, and the issues that have been around it. This past weekend I bit the bullet and manually got everything I can Migrated. It was a PITA, I will be weeks readjusting my automations. I will say, that now that it is behind me, and the bumps smoothed over, the system is faster and seems more stable. The only thing I am struggling with still is my Keen Vents, and the fact there is no app to adjust them to help balance the temperatures in the house, but maybe with time that will come.

3 Likes

@LadySapphy Contact @Mariano_Colmenarejo about Keen Vents. Provide fingerprints. He might be able to help. My understanding is that Keen vents have built in temperature sensor. He has Virtual thermostat driver that is applied to physical device with temperature capability. You might need his driver only to control vents.

2 Likes

Smartthings also have a drive for them, but the fingerprints are different. To me the vents are almost a non issue, with out the app to balance the HVAC on the fly, they are kind of pointless.

1 Like

That is why you need his virtual thermostat driver. You will be able to control them on fly, same way as any thermostat

I get what you are saying, and I can still adjust them now because they still work under DTH. What I am referring to is an app, that use to exist. That had zones where you would assign a thermometer from in the room and the vents to. It would then look at all the zones and adjust them automatically to try to keep all the rooms the same temp. It also looked at the pressure sensor in these to make sure you were not putting too much back pressure in the HVAC.

I hope later I will have some more time and I can work something up in a docker container on a PI to replicate the magic of the old app

1 Like

@LadySapphy , was that @yvesracine 's app’s discussed here?

1 Like

Yeap that is it. Not sure if he is still around or if he moved on. Not seen anything about him porting this over, so I am assuming not

@LadySapphy I get what are you saying. Many useful apps are gone. Some of them might come back.
Currently, besides your approach with PI, you could try to accomplish same by creating routines for each zone. A little bit more work, but possible.

Btw I was really interested in buying Keen vents, but they went out if stock completely. Hopefully they will stay in business as they merged with some other company, and restock again.

I believe he is now developing for other platforms. :thinking: