Next Steps for Community-Created Groovy Integrations

Previously, we announced our migration process to move devices from our legacy Groovy device type handlers (DTHs) to our newer Lua Edge drivers. We have made great strides in this effort and have been seamlessly migrating these devices in the background (click the link here for a list of all device types currently migrated).

This first effort has been to move supported devices to our newest Lua Edge device drivers. Our next step is to begin migration for community-created and non-supported legacy DTHs starting April 15, 2023. This is the start date for this migration which is expected to take place over the course of multiple weeks.

Affected devices will include:

1. Community-created DTHs that were loaded manually into SmartThings via the IDE.
  2. Devices that are no longer supported in SmartThings which are listed here.

If your device fits either of these categories, it may be migrated to a non-functional placeholder Lua Edge driver called a ā€œThingā€. If this occurs, the device will no longer work in the SmartThings app. To prevent this from happening to your device you can try the following options depending on which kind of device you have.

• Option 1: Wait for SmartThings to migrate your Zigbee or Z-Wave device to the closest supported SmartThings Lua Edge driver. This process begins April 15, 2023. The SmartThings Lua Edge driver may have different functionality than the original community-created or non-supported legacy DTH. This option is for devices that may already have a supported Lua Edge driver and will NOT be migrated to a generic ā€œThingā€.

• Option 2: Remove the device, install a replacement community-created Lua Edge driver from the SmartThings Community into your SmartThings Hub, and re-add the device. This option is to manually move a community-created Groovy DTH to a community-created Lua Edge driver. Note: Deleting a device will remove it from associated Automations.

• Option 3 (For Zigbee and Z-Wave devices only): Install a replacement community-created Lua Edge driver from the SmartThings communityinto your SmartThings hub and wait for SmartThings to migrate your device. If the community-created Lua Edge driver is already on the hub, we will attempt to migrate the device to that specific driver. This option is to move a community-created Zigbee/Z-Wave Groovy DTH to a community-created Lua Edge driver without needing to delete the device in SmartThings.

• Option 4 (For LAN device only): Install a replacement community-created Lua Edge driver from the SmartThings community into your SmartThings hub. Remove and re-add the device using the community-created Lua Edge Driver. If you do not perform this process before migration occurs after April 15, 2023, your device will be migrated to a generic ā€œThingā€ placeholder. This option is to move a community-created Groovy LAN DTH to a community-created Lua Edge driver. Note: Deleting a device will remove it from associated Automations.

4 Likes

Great info, thanks!

This seems to imply that all devices using ā€œfirst partyā€ DTHs should have completed migration.

I have no custom DTHs. I have 12 devices that are a mix of ZigBee and Z-wave running on the built-in switch and dimmer DTHs. In most cases the unmigrated ones are the same make/model as devices that have been auto-migrated.

So Iā€™m confused. Should I continue to wait or do I need to do my remaining devices ā€œby handā€?

4 Likes

If I am understanding this correctly, from Groovy to Edge Device Migration List - Announcements - SmartThings Community, the migration of listed devices is continuing. I am still waiting for about half of my devices to migrate.

Below is a quote from that web pageā€¦

Note: Your device type may be on the list and still not have migrated. That does not mean your device will not be migrated, it may just be done at a later time. We will have an announcement posted later addressing devices that fall into this category.

This is good news. I am one of those users who have wayyyy too many devices and this entire process has been stressful butā€¦Iā€™ve been patient. All in all, I think you all have done a good job in this transition. You all have given us plenty of time to make necessary provisions.

Furthermore, the community has come up with same darn good drivers that have been working good for me.

BTW, the built in app has been able to work through most of my previous automations. We could use a ā€œprevious stateā€ and ā€œreturn to that stateā€ but other than that, itā€™s pretty good and intuitive.

For now, Iā€™m sticking with ST and satisfied, for the most part, of how this transition has been handled.

4 Likes

The best bit about that post is that the suggestions to use the ā€˜Contact usā€™ link in the app are all followed by ā€˜Testā€™. That would indeed have been a good idea. It might work in the US perhaps, but in the UK for one it has been a constantly changing mess for years. It did actually work sensibly for quite a while unless you had the SmartThings Members app installed on your device, in which case the working bit was swapped out. They fixed that though. Now it is useless regardless.

SmartThings UK support are actually pretty good. Unfortunately the app does its best to prevent you contacting them and if you do you canā€™t send them a log file as the app wants to throw it away send it to Samsung support.

A problem I see at the moment is that not all the devices in stock handlers have been migrated and there is no way to know: if they are on the ā€˜to doā€™ list; if they have been accidentally missed; or if if they just arenā€™t happening. I know one device made it to a pull request a year ago but was missing bespoke handling and hasnā€™t been seen since. There is also an ongoing thread from reps of a brand whose devices are explicitly listed in stock handlers but havenā€™t made it to Edge drivers yet. If they donā€™t know the score, what hope have end users?

It would just help to be have a better idea of what our expectations should be. Then weā€™d know if there was a need to try and contact support.

I canā€™t see this situation improving with custom handlers. At least with stock handlers it is pretty much an A=>B thing and if you donā€™t end up with a working B you know there is a problem. With custom handlers you apparently wonā€™t even know if they are attempting A=>B, C or D.

4 Likes

I have a device that is still running on a community created Groovy based DTH. I would like to follow option 2 above but do not remember how to remove the DTH. Could someone please point me to the instructions on how I may do that now given the current functionality of the IDE?

You canā€™t remove a DTH that is in use so you will need to delete the item in the ST app. Once you do, go to https://ide.smartthings.com, login, then click on My Devices and verify that the device is no longer present. Once verified, click on My Device Handlers, click on the installed DTH, and delete it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the prompt response. I followed the steps you mentioned in your response and verified the device no longer exists. I just realized that I had not been waiting long enough for the IDE to return the update/delete screen. I see it now. Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi, @HalD
Sorry for the delay, we were checking this internally to provide you with an accurate answer.

So, this new step in the migration doesnā€™t mean that the migration of devices supported by stock DTH has finished.
This means that currently, it is expected to see some devices that havenā€™t been migrated yet.

4 Likes

Thank you very much!

Like a number of others, I think, I saw fairly steady progress with a handful of devices migrating every week or thereabouts.

But nothing since late December or early January. So my level of concern is slightly heightened.

4 Likes