The End of Groovy Has Arrived

I have Lightify GardenSpots. They have not been migrated.

Iā€™m starting to wonder if they will be. Or are we going to have to do it after the first.

There is a community driver for garden spots for more than a year.

1 Like

I am aware of this. And I will probably use that. Iā€™m just waiting to see if Smartthings does it first. I really donā€™t feel like deleting and re-adding them and editing my routines that use them.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not at all clear on the process for custom devices so someone may correct meā€¦

If you have a driver installed that matches the fingerprint of the devices when automatic migration is attempted, I believe the process will select that driver. If nothing matches then you get a ā€œthingā€ driver and possibly lose your routines.

So itā€™s probably useful to install the community driver even if you donā€™t do a manual migration of your devices.

While true, weā€™ve been told that it doesnā€™t have to be an exact fingerprint match. The system will also attempt to match based on generic capabilities if no fingerprint match was found.

Only if that also fails, will it then be matched as a ā€œthing.ā€œ

1 Like

And then presumably, you just swap the driver in the app for the custom driver and not have to change your routines, correct?

I wonder if thatā€™s what happened to my sonoff mini switches. They migrated to the stock zigbee switch edge driver but had and echo on off side effect when switched via routine.
I then swapped them to Marianos beta driver and that behaviour stopped

Stock Smartthings drivers are now 1st quater 2023

3 Likes

As of this morning I still have 11 stock devices that are still listed as DTH that have not yet migrated, and I have my fingers crossed that they eventually will without me having to do it manually.

6 - NuTone NWD500Z Smart Z-Wave Enabled Wall Dimmer Switch
2 - Zooz 700 Series Z-Wave Plus On/Off Switch ZEN71
1 - Zigbee Switch,Inle Smart Light Switch
1 - Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Outdoor Switch, 1-Outlet Plug-In (2nd Gen.)
1 - GE 14284 Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Outdoor Switch

The dates have been pushed back.

Weā€™re all in the same boat. None of my 50+ zwave devices have migrated. Only 4 of my Zigbee devices have. I assume it will happen in good time. Until then things continue to function as before. Iā€™m not stressing about it.

3 Likes

Still have 33 devices not marked as placeholder in IDE

should I be worried?
Pretty sure I downloaded all the driver for them on my hub

Ok I can go on if you like, it wasnā€™t just Smart Lighting and webCoRE, it was also the new app you were pushing for 18 months, then people realised they lost functionality, and werenā€™t able to re-download the Classic app again, and after all that SmartThings handled the transition to the new app very smoothly, converting Routines and Scenes seemlessly. Youā€™ve got some track record, youā€™re the Captain of Kaos! :rofl:

My gardenspots were auto-migrated to a zigbee switch driver. They are working just fine.

Thatā€™s a little different than what we were previously told, but I donā€™t know if things have changed again. :thinking:

What we were previously told (itā€™s buried in the thread above) is that if you wait for the automatic migration, it will happen like this:

1. if you have already downloaded a custom driver to your hub and the fingerprint matches, the device will automatically be converted to the custom driver. If you have already downloaded more than one custom driver that matches the fingerprint, one will randomly be chosen for the automatic migration.

2. if there is no custom driver that matches at the time of the automatic migration and there is a stock driver that matches, the device will automatically use that.

3. if there is no custom driver and no stock driver already on your hub that matches the fingerprint, the system will attempt to find a match based on the generic capabilities of the device.

4. if even a capabilities match doesnā€™t work, then the automatic migration will use a ā€œthingā€ driver of the matching protocol (zigbee/zwave/thread).

So custom edge drivers will take priority over stock edge drivers during the automatic migration, but only if you have already downloaded them to your hub and the fingerprints match.

The official transition FAQ also indicates that custom Edge drivers will be part of the automatic migration process in some cases. See option four.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/9339624925204

If the custom Edge driver is already on the hub, we will attempt to migrate the device to that specific driver. This option is to move a custom Zigbee/Z-Wave Groovy DTH to a custom Lua Edge driver without needing to delete the device in SmartThings.

Was there a newer announcement that changed that? There have been so many changes I might have missed one.

@andresg

6 Likes

Your first point " 1. if you have already downloaded a custom driver to your hub and the fingerprint matches, the device will automatically be converted to the custom driver. If you have already downloaded more than one custom driver that matches the fingerprint, one will randomly be chosen for the automatic migration."
is the way I understood it as well. However, Iā€™ve always doubted it would happen that way. Iā€™m now almost certain it wonā€™t. There are too many new edge drivers being created, modified, duplicated, customized, and too many new devices coming out of China and into our community on an hourly basis. Logistically, I canā€™t see how they could possibly do this correctly for everyone.
The idea was nice.

New devices probably wonā€™t have a fingerprint match, which may be what you were referring to, so, yeah, those are going to be problematic. Iā€™d say about half of the forum requests for custom edge drivers just have to do with adding a new fingerprint. :thinking:

Personally, I am nervous about the ones that match based on capabilities, given the number of reports weā€™ve gotten of zigbee devices matching to a Z wave driver, or vice a versa.

Actually, a lot of the drivers for devices Iā€™m referring to are being added at a neck breaking pace by a handful of our wonderful community devs. MC, Phil and Taustin at the top of that list.
I was mainly thinking about the mismatching you alluded to.
I have at least three devices that I know of that, for whatever reason, match to drivers Iā€™ve installed for other devices. I can change to these drivers and of course they donā€™t work. But they shouldnā€™t even show up as options. I also have devices that donā€™t exist show up every time I do an Add New Device Scan. This is due to drivers I have installed but have not added the device yet.
All in all, my Smartthings smarthome is humming along fine. I think my system, and I imagine yours too JD, are good examples of why itā€™s a slowww migration.

1 Like

Hi everyone, please take a look at these update posts about the Groovy migration:

22 Likes