The End of Groovy Has Arrived

No official date has been announced at this time. You may want to stop using IDE at this point and switch to the community developed tool: API Browser+

4 Likes

Iā€™m using API Browser+ for quite some time already, itā€™s fantastic! Better than everything Smmsung/ST ever made ā€¦ thanks to Todd :slight_smile:

I remember at that time that there was one (for me) feature missing ā€¦ routing info for Zigbee devices ā€¦ and the reason for that was limitations in STā€™s API ā€¦ I guess that is still the same

4 Likes

New announcement today, they are now talking about ā€œmonthsā€œ to complete the transition.

We are still in the process of seamlessly migrating supported devices from Groovy DTHs to a Lua Edge driver behind the scenes. If you have a supported device that still has not been migrated despite being targeted on this list Here, donā€™t worry, we are working on this and you should see changes within the next few months. We are doing this process in phases to ensure minimal impact to the platform and your devices.

Update on Groovy Platform Migrations

6 Likes

shit, dont you just want to push it over the edge already and get on with it. LOL

3 Likes

I understand how the myriad of devices ,drivers and mfg makes this a challenge. I ran SW at Dell so I get it.
The part I donā€™t understand is not a word about when smart apps will return. No published plan or schedule for smartapps .
I suggest we all write to mark Benson at Samsung and request a schedule and an ama session.

Theyā€™ve explained several times, so Iā€™m not quite sure where the confusion is.

They are no longer providing a free Groovy cloud, and they are not allowing customers to upload custom SmartApps to their hubs.

If you want a custom smartapp, you have to write it yourself and host it yourself. Or the original author has to host it and make that available. Then these will connect to the new platform through the smartthings REST API. These are now called ā€œendpoint smartapps.ā€

So far a few platform partners have done this, including Ifttt, sharptools, and actiontiles, all of which previously had custom groovy smartapps, even if you didnā€™t know they were there.

As far as community developers, there have only been a couple of those, but they do exist. These include one for myQ, one for lock manager, two that support integration with hubitat, and a few more. There is a section in the community-created wiki that lists the ones that have been publicly announced so far:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Quick_Browse_Lists_for_Edge_Drivers#Publicly_Available_Endpoint_SmartApps

Thereā€™s also a list in one of the community FAQs about some of the specific replacements for some popular SmartApps.

Replace Groovy with Automationsā€”whatā€™s your plan?

Hereā€™s what the new architecture looks like. As you can see, smartapps still exist, but now they come in through the REST API:

So those have already been around and working for a while, itā€™s just that not many people are writing them.

7 Likes

JD
Well while I agree in principle I would say th vast community of ST users who have depended on smart apps for years have been left stranded.
Lum is of course the biggest one
Vacation mode lights was another I depended on.
Asking st users to write them ourselves is not right. Or go build it in smartools .

ST should have for example found the top ten smartapps in groovy and worked directly with the developers to migrate those top smart apps to the rest apiā€™s .
This is what the role of Developer relations team does at a company like Samsung.
And rather than have all millions of st users have to figure this out individually by themselves ,at could be posting hey users of Lum here are three new good replacements.

That would be very helpful.

2 Likes

I agree it would have been helpful, but Iā€™m pretty sure there arenā€™t ā€œmillions of smartthings usersā€œ who ever used custom groovy smartapps.

ST staff have said multiple times that the vast majority even of their hub users had 15 or fewer devices and never used any custom code at all. And now the vast majority donā€™t have hubs. They just have a Samsung smart television, or smart appliance. They never used the IDE, they never used custom code. So most of their customers arenā€™t being affected by the transition at all.

Would I have done things differently? Sure. As Iā€™ve said before, Iā€™m still astonished that they didnā€™t assign some Samsung employees specifically to help people with the transition in this forum. But they didnā€™t. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

One more point
AaST should be giving updates on the new apiā€™s
As Rboys still today says
ā€œWe are waiting for them to complete implementation of some features which are missing in the new platform that will allow us to complete migration of our apps to the new platform.ā€

Unfortunately no one else seems to know what he is referring to, or at least no one has acknowledged that they do. He might not be in a position to say, or it might not be in his interests to do so, so that is fair enough. It just doesnā€™t help the understanding of the wider community.

The ā€˜API Onlyā€™ / OAUTH apps are a somewhat different kettle of fish to the endpoint apps. At least they seem that way to me as Iā€™ve had no involvement with them.

Endpoint apps of the complexity of the old ā€˜market placeā€™ Groovy apps have been live for years now, there just doesnā€™t seem to have been much interest in them, or at least not in sharing them. They are pretty easy to install by numbers if they are already being hosted, the real problem can be in having somewhere to host them and an understanding of what that entails.

2 Likes

Well how about we ask th ST community to write a new version of LUM so we can get on with it.
We could ask ST users what top five smart apps we want and get some developers to write and host them .
Letā€™s get proactive.

1 Like

One community member already has an endpoint smartapp for lock management, you might take a look at that and then talk to him to see if there are features missing.

https://lockmanager.io/

Again, you can find this, and the other publicly available endpoint apps listed in the community-created wiki:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Quick_Browse_Lists_for_Edge_Drivers

Or start a new topic for any specific app you would like to see transition to the new platform and see whoā€™s interested. But keep it to one smartapp per topic or itā€™s going to get really confusing. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Or just do what you want and get the ball rolling :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I was adding lockmanager.io to my setup and noted I still have a list of IDE apps installed. I canā€™t seem to delete them from the app. Smart apps are no longer listed in IDE. How do I get rid of them?

Is there an official page for this on here? There are many references, but the only thing that looks official is ā€œObsolete.ā€

The developer never set up a new thread. It is being discussed in the old thread that has obsolete in the title.

Near the bottom of the thread:

1 Like

So as I say the entire ST community lost the smartapps including LUM and there are no alternatives.

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed Hue appeared as a driver - and in the Hue hub device once the app refreshed - no noticeable effect on behaviour. In the (old) web GUI all bulbs except one show as placeholder.

1 Like

Sounds like they are starting to migrate Hue devices to Edge.

2 Likes

Has anyone found a way to BATCH force (or script) Thermostats to change from DTH to Edge?

We have about 200 GoControl Thermostats across a dozen hubs. Doing a z-wave exclusion + inclusion per device is cost and time prohibitive. We ran one thermostat through the process, and indeed SmartThings picks it up as an Edge Driver.

How can we force all hubs to switch to Edge Drivers for this make/model.

Happy to pay someone for their time to script it.