The End of Groovy Has Arrived

There’s no way to force a device to migrate from a Groovy DTH to an Edge Driver. It’s just a waiting game.

5 Likes

Seems like the problems started for me. All hue devices no longer work. I made a mistake:I went into the hue hub and tried to change the drive. I put that drive back and now nothing works

Sounds like he may be using a Hue Hub as well as a ST Hub. I have my Hue bulbs connected directly to my ST Hub (I don’t have a Hue Hub) and have no problems.

what did you change the driver from and to which Driver? Did you try rebooting both ST hub and Hue bridge?

I’ve seen hue hubs appear with edge drives, but all hue devices stay connected with device handlers. I then tried to change the edge drive to the hue hub, to see if they still worked, to understand if there is a connection between the hub and the hue device in the SmartThings app. After switching drives to bose drive , the hues obviously no longer worked. What got me confused was that when entering and exiting the drive selection, it indicated The correct one but nothing worked. This morning in the same menu I looked again, and it indicated bose drive in hue hub, I changed it to hue drive and now everything works

With bulbs connected via a V2 Hue hub no issues noted (note https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/9339624925204#h_01GCZRYTHHAK3X0P31WS7SQ2YE V1 hub not supported)
I’d rather keep the Hue hub rather than connect bulbs directly to ST, but for Alexa not having the Hue skill (so just the ST skill) avoids duplicated bulbs.
One bulb wasnt showing as placeholder in the old web GUI - so just for tidiness deleted and re-added it (as done before with some other partly migrated devices) - adding deleted devices back into scenes is much easier in the app these days.

I talk about it here but correct me if I have to make a new post, it seems to me related to the SmartThings transaction, that’s why I write here:We’ve all seen hue changes these days, and the appearance of the hue hub between devices. Nonetheless, the devices always seem to be connected as before, in fact they are still in the hue.
However, if I try to add a new device, by searching for hue, it comes to this page

I select hub, I get duplicates of all the lights. They have more functionality than what I have now, but then the automations are in the cloud. How do you behave? Are you waiting for the automatic switch? I don’t know which hue to keep anymore :hugs:

1 Like

Perhaps things are slightly different, I have reconstructed how things are, I would like you to tell me if you think this is the case:
Many spoke in this post Why SmartThings has installed unnecessary Wemo etc drivers to my hubs useless drives appearing in their hub.
Perhaps the new edge hue drive available in beta mode on the samsung drives page has now been added in a non-beta version to hubs without it? After trying to install the beta hue drive, I no longer see the standard hue drive. It has been overwritten, although It has been overwritten, even if I thought the drive was exactly the same, I notice that in addition to the date, the number also completely changes:
Beta 2023-05-02T19:26:15.23063733
not beta 2023-05-23T18:29:49.565838074
now i have the beta drive, because i have no way to install the new one that was installed automatically

It looks like it was rolled up from beta to production on Tuesday 23rd May. My understanding is that as part of that process they deploy a new package which is why the version number is different.

They presumably have to do something extra in order for LAN drivers to be installed on hubs where they have to be for discovery to work. Whatever that something is would appear to have happened last week.

1 Like

I agree with you, but I notice that now we who have the May 2 beta drive, we can’t do anything to switch to the May 23 drive. Perhaps the only way would be to delete the Philips hue device, then delete the drive, and then trying to reconnect the hue hub to smartthings again would automatically mount the new drive. I don’t think I want to do that though, that would wipe out dozens and dozens of automations

Also I wouldn’t recommend it, if as you say could result in having to repair a load of automations. I found the new driver (23/5) installed 2 days ago but after 24 hours with everything Hue offline yesterday I had a whole day when it worked perfectly, with the new ‘recent colours’ palette. But now results today again offline! As the ST update 48.x is being pushed from today better to wait and see what happens.

1 Like

that’s right, me and a friend of mine too (@pilone ). both of us are in beta so we got that new hue driver again. After a bit of a mess now everything works for both, but with the May 2nd driver. We will wait for next developments without doing anything.

drive or driver? hmmmmm :wink: :sunglasses:

sorry, I corrected. I don’t speak English well, I use google translator, and sometimes I don’t write very well

3 Likes

Hi, @Diegocampy
Drivers in the beta channel and the default channel have the same configuration, so, there’s not a problem if you have the beta one, the date changes based on when it was packaged, not if there were changes in the code.

Also, something important to consider about LAN drivers is that they don’t support driver switching because, during the discovery and onboarding of the device, there is some info collected and saved in the data store which isn’t transferred among drivers for security reasons. Hue is a great example of this. The driver stores the API key from the Link Button process in the driver’s datastore.

So, if you were using the driver in beta and then changed to the one in “default”, it could have caused issues.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. No, honestly I did the opposite, I had the default drive, but I wasn’t sure the hue devices worked with that, so I tried changing it . After the change it didn’t work anymore. Then I reinstalled the drive and the beta overwrote the default. If as you say it’s not a problem, I’ll keep the beta drive :hugs:

They may not support it (and it makes sense that they don’t), but the UI still allows it, at least on Android. It would be good if this ability was removed from the UIs.

2 Likes

I understand, I will open a report to see what the team can do about it.

4 Likes

Hey @Diegocampy - What issues were you experiencing before you attempted to do a driver switch with your Hue devices?

1 Like

Nobody :hugs:As I said in this message I changed to do some tests, I didn’t have problem now.
I reinstalled the drive manually and now I have beta instead of stable, but that shouldn’t change, everything works