Status.SmartThings.Com

@ben Is it clarified anywhere the scope of issues meant to be represented here versus what doesn’t meet the criteria? Its nice to see @slagle officially acknowledge some platform issues the last few days, but its disheartening to see green across the board on the resource meant to inform us of such issues.

If the criteria for this page has to meet some large entire platform outage like state, can there be a subset of transparency for “Incomplete Functionality” to notify the user base that the platform is operating at a diminished capacity? Can part of the stability efforts include and perhaps prioritize better community transparency to periods of declined stability?

Failure to do so really just leads to the status page being a sad joke that frustrates us and likely (hopefully?) embarrasses you all. I say that with all due respect to the challenges you face. Perhaps my expectations of the page and its purpose to represent the health of various aspects in the SmartThings ecosystem is off… Perhaps my bar for healthy is too high. Clarification on what to expect from this page might help. I just think so much credibility is lost when the user experience continually differs from the status represented on this page.

11 Likes

IMHO, this marketing page never reflects the actual state of SmartThings operating cloud. Most of us depend on the crowd source reporting to get ahead of their outages or issues before they {potentially} alert us. It’s a sad state of trust!

Its a marketing page in my opinion, as well.

1 Like

Two days late!

2 Likes

FTFY.

20 characters.

4 Likes

To be clear, I don’t mean this thread to become a “Should I return it?” or “ST Alternative?” or “Root cause of most of my issues” thread. My question to SmartThings leadership is exactly as stated with no subtext. What criteria is used to determine if incidents make it to this page? Do they have more granular incident classifications that can represent problems that don’t meet the stated criteria but that seem to cause a good deal of user angst? Have they evaluated a mechanism of notifying users of those lower classification incidents if they are not to be routed through this page?

I’m hoping that a better understanding of how exactly SmartThings intends this page to be consumed will help minimize my (and possibly others) level of frustration when it doesn’t reflect my (our) individual experience.

3 Likes

That IS actually a very good question.

2 Likes

Did anyone who is signed up for text messages when status changes get an SMS about this at all today?

I use Email and RSS and did get notifications; but I’m not sure how quickly (though the status is so out of date, it doesn’t matter).

You may have an email address associated with your SMS/texting phone number, in case you want to use that as an option.

1 Like

Yes.

Pointless 20 character limit.

1 Like

Yah… I routinely act like a troll and post a view of http://Status.SmartThings.com that shows “all clear” – always in the middle of a Topic/Thread that clearly shows that to be inaccurate.

It can only get better.

4 Likes

I can’t LIKE this enough. This is a matter of trust and integrity.
And, we all know better than to trust what is said here publicly.
Would ST be willing to be honest with us on a customer status page?

1 Like

Ironic, but IMO some level of “automation” is the key to a great status page. :angel: A wide range of tests that are continually triggered and polled for success. If one fails X times in Y mins then toss up a “Potential Issue - Investigating” and unleash the nerds! Would actually be a fun project – but that’s why I never have time… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It’s a start. It may not be perfect but even HAVING the page is a step in the correct direction.

1 Like