Like many others I struggled to get SmartThings to recognize and successfully add my Sonos devices.
Most people’s issues with Sonos discovery in ST seem to be network-related but there’s no single list of network requirements. I’d like to use this thread to create a definitive list.
Open questions remaining (please respond if you can confirm these requirements!):
- Does UPnP definitely need to be enabled? (Enabled works for sure.)
- Does Multicast definitely need to be allowed? (Allowed works for sure.)
- No additional device handlers or SmartApps are necessary to install in SmartThings for detecting Sonos devices.
- A Sonos BOOST is not required for SmartThings connectivity.
- Devices can be discovered by going to either My Home > Add a Thing or Marketplace > SmartThings Labs > Sonos > Connect Now.
- Sonos device names do not need to be unique in SmartThings but should be.
- Sonos devices can be discovered when connected via Wifi or Ethernet.
- Sonos devices should be on same network as SmartThings Hub.
- The wifi network can be 2.4GHz or 5GHz, channel bandwidth up to 20/40/80/160.
- Sonos uses channel 1, 6, or 11 for it’s wifi. Avoid overcrowded channels.
- Zero Config does not need to be enabled.
- Sonos devices should have fixed (reserved) IP addresses, not dynamically assigned via DHCP.
- The fixed IP number should be low on the vlan or subnet, otherwise SmartThings can take 20-30 minutes or more to discover.
- Sonos devices do not need to be on same subnet as SmartThings hub, but should be for faster discovery
- It is not uncommon for Sonos device discovery to take 20-30 minutes at the ‘Add a Thing’ screen. This is unusual compared to most devices. Be patient. It has taken some people multiple 20-30 minute sessions at the ‘Add a Thing’ screen before the Sonos can be added. (NOTE FOR SMARTTHINGS DEVELOPERS: It would be awesome to get to the bottom of this and see if the network discovery process can be made more efficient).
- Use Live Logging to see if SmartThings recognizes your Sonos at the ‘Add a thing’ Screen. Log into http://account.smartthings.com, click on ‘My Locations’, click the name of your location, click ‘Live Logging’ and then click on ‘Super LAN connect’ to filter. You should see a block for ‘----- adding a device -----’ around your Sonos(es). Even after this appears, it can still take 20-30 minutes for the device to appear as a new thing in the SmartThings mobile app.