[RELEASE] Official Monoprice Smart Plug/Plugin Receptacle with USB Ports Device Handler

RBoy Apps is now an official partner of Monoprice.

This Device Handler is for the Monoprice Smart Plug (27481) and Plug In Receptacle (15654).

4bacef587e1b1e2633301a4e2ea2c2868833dd7e_2_333x250 dda39a78345b509354bbb9f2609200599440dd50

This Smart Plug / Wall Socket Plug in Receptacle with 2 USB and 1 AC Port monitors and manages energy consumption to reduce costs. This product is a Z-Wave® switched AC plug-in adapter. AC power can be switched on or off remotely or manually with a button on the plug. It can report the voltage, amperage, power consumption and energy consumption. It also includes two USB ports, one capable of 1A of charging power and the other capable of 2.4A of charging power, so you can keep your mobile devices charged without using another AC power socket for a wall charger. As an AC powered Z-Wave device, this Plugin will act as a Z-Wave repeater (supporting FLiRS).

This device handler supports the Z-Wave and Z-Wave Plus devices. Support has also been added for v1 and v2 hub fingerprinting for easy identification. Ideally install the Device Handler BEFORE pairing the device for easy setup.

Classic App

The Smart Plug can be bought directly from Monoprice here for about $20 - $25

The Plug In Receptacle can be bought directly from Monoprice here for about $18 - $25

We’ve worked with Monoprice create a special deal just for the SmartThings community:

15% of all Monoprice products with RBoy Apps Device Handlers

1. Click here to visit the Monoprice website
  2. Use the code RBOY at checkout
  3. Monoprice offers FREE standard shipping in the US.

Enjoy, this code expires Dec 31. This is a stacked promotion code, i.e. it can be used in addition to with other discounts/sales from Monoprice

This device handler supports the following features:

1. Reading the following sensors
    • Switch on/off
    • Voltage (V)
    • Amerage (A)
    • Power Consumption (W)
    • Energy Consumption (KWh) (tap to reset)
    • LED state (tap to change state)
    • Load level (Normal, Heavyload, Overload)
  2. Designed UI using the latest ST multiTiles with a clean view
  3. Ability to configure the following parameters:
    • State after power failure
    • Reporting thresholds
  4. Automatic overload protection if the load exceeds 16.5A for more than 5 seconds
  5. Support for v1 and v2 hub fingerprinting for easy identification
  6. Ability to request a manual update for the sensors and configuration
  7. Easy to use configuration page with detailed explanations for all the parameters

Ideally install the Device Handler BEFORE pairing the device for easy setup.

More features to added, if you have any suggestions or ideas please feel free to ask and we’ll try to add it.

NOTE

• The color of the LED depends upon how much power is being drawn by the connected appliance:
    • Green → 0A to 5A
    • Orange → 5A to 10A
    • Red → 10A to 15A

INCLUSION INSTRUCTIONS: It is recommended to install the Device Handler BEFORE paring the device for easier setup. There are 2 ways to pair this device (automatic being the simplest and recommended)

1. Bring device within 5 of hub

2. To pair the device, Select Add New Device from the MarketPlace on your ST phone app

3. Plug in the device into the wall socket, the light should be flashing red/green
    AUTOMATIC NON-SECURE INCLUSION
    a. The light should start blinking rapidly, if not you may need to exclude it first (see below), unplug it and then plug it back into the wall again
    b. It should complete pairing within 30 seconds

MANUAL NON-SECURE INCLUSION
    a. The light should be blinking slowly (not rapidly), if not you may need to exclude it first (see below) and then press the power button once
    b. Triple click the power button on the device
    c. It should complete pairing within 30 seconds

MANUAL SECURE INCLUSION
    a. The light should be blinking slowly (not rapidly), if not you may need to exclude it first (see below) and then press the power button once
    b. Press and hold the power button on the device for 3 seconds and then release it when the lights starts blinking rapidly

NOTE: It is usually a good idea to do a Z-Wave repair after pairing a new device

EXCLUSION INSTRUCTIONS: If you deleted the device without excluding it won’t pair up again until you exclude it.

1. Set the hub into exclude mode (log into the IDE → My Hub → View Utilities → Z-Wave Exclude.
  2. Bring device within 5 ft of hub
  3. Put hub into exclusion mode
  4. Make sure the device if turned off, Triple click the Power button
  5. When the exclusion is successful the light start flashing

FACTORY RESET: Plug in the device and press and hold the switch for 20 seconds.

Check out these other SmartApps

[RELEASE] Door Chimes and Notifications for Doorbells and Sensors

[RELEASE] Security System: Intruder Alert with Actions

This device type handler is available on the RBoy Apps Server. Refer to our website or facebook page below to get access to the server.

Visit our Facebook page for updates on new apps and to get Access to ALL our Premium Apps and Server. RBOY APPS SmartThings - Make your Home your Butler

5 Likes

Labor Day Sale Alert: Folks, Monoprice has a 15% off sale running here and if you combine it with the RBoy Apps 15% you can buy this device for under $21. It’s a steal!!

Would you be able to explain the reporting threshold settings? Are you able to set the frequency of wattage reports? Right now the generic DTH reports every little fluctuation every second or so.

1 Like

That’s correct, you can configure the power reporting threshold in absolute watts, relative change in % or even in frequency (seconds).

That’s great! Since it’s not critical that these run local you’ve just made yourself a sale :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Monoprice has a new receptacle on their website, part # 27481. I was able to use it with this device handler with by manually assigning it or by adding this bit of code to the handler before adding the device.

// Z-Wave Plus Smart Plug and Repeater with 2 USB (27481)
    fingerprint type:"1001", mfr:"0208", prod:"0101", model:"000A", "cc:"5E,25,32,27,2C,2B,70,85,59,72,86,7A,73,5A", deviceJoinName:"Monoprice Plug In Receptacle (27481)"

The monoprice listing, with a link to the manual is at the following link.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27481

The USB ports do not turn off with the AC output; which is contrary to what is on the website.

3 Likes

@rboy

Can this DTH be used with the newer 27481 model of this plug?

Yes it can…

1 Like

Hi @RBoy this code “expired on 12/31/2017 and is no longer valid” do you have new one?

Other questions do you know what difference between this devices

And do you have DH for 27481?

Thank you.

Official Monoprice Smart Plug/Plugin Receptacle Device Handler - Version 01.01.00

Hello,

First and foremost, nice work on this and all your device handlers. I have a few questions and suggestions.

As an owner of 20+ MonoPrice 15654 outlets (rebadged Hank HKZW-SO01 devices zWave Cert: ZC10-16065124) , up until subscribing to your service, I had been using several generic handlers, which quite frankly, may be the source of other issues I was having.

Since I’ve switched to your DTH, I’ve been very happy, but had a few questions and requests if I may.

1. When adding 5 seconds to meteringInterval via mobile app UI, the ST IDE throws an error stating “Metering report interval must be atleast 5 seconds, setting to 5 seconds”… even though I entered 5 as the value for seconds. Probably no big deal, but any idea why this is occcuring.

2. Valued returned from the device appear to be rounded to whole numbers versus actual decimal values returned. I assume this for asthetics, but is there a way to return actual values unrounded or rounded to a few digits? I am exporting data to influxdb and this will cause totals to be inaccurate.

3. One common issue I’ve seen, and I’m not sure where the issue resides, is significant delays if z-wave traffic is higher than the average use case.

That said, Is it possible to display in the app UI (via DTH update) if a command is pending, when it was sent and when it was acknowledged?

I ask not because there is an issue it’s your DTH, but due to overall ST wonkieness. Sometimes literally it takes minutes for whatever reason for any command to reach my outlet. I hit on, and nothing happens. Then sitting right beside the outlet minutes later, I hear…click. Then it’s on. And if I think the command failed, I’ll hit on/off again not knowing if the prior command was delayed or got lost in the ether only to later hear the outlet click on, off, on, off like it’s possessed as a result of delays or hub issues.

Bonus points too if response times could be calculated and data displayed via the IDE logs. :slight_smile:

Thank you again for all the hard work.

Logging typo, thanks will fix the logs

That’s correct. Large numbers don’t display will with ST’s mobile apps so it’s rounded off to the nearest number for display purposes. We can adjust it so that if the number is < 100 it’ll show 1 decimal but if it’s > 100 then it’ll be rounded off to the nearest whole number or just keep once decimal depending on how it renders.

It complicates the UI and makes it look very busy. Goal is to keep as much technical information off the screen to keep it simple and friendly.

If you commands are taking minutes to reach the devices you’ve got a rogue device radio in there which may be interfering with the network or your network needs to be optimized. The best solution for this is to reboot the hub (we say reboot the hub once a month atleast to keep it performing great) and then do a z-wave repair. You should see a significant improvement in your network responsiveness.

You can definitely send in a request to our support team to add more information via the logs. The more specific you can be the better and we’ll add it to our request list. Thanks for your feedback!

1 Like

Official Monoprice Smart Plug/Plugin Receptacle Device Handler - Version 01.01.01

• Added support to show numbers with 1 decimal place
1 Like

@RBoy Any chance that Monoprice will restore the discount?

We’ve working to get a special for Presidents day - subscribe to our facebook page for updates. Spread the word, the more folks who make use of it the better chances of getting more promos in future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Already am.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply and updates. Much appreciated!

I’ve been fighting the delay issue for 2 months with multiple tickets and multiple failed z-wave repair, so trying to eliminate variables one by one. Appreciate the help!

1 Like

I’ve been spending some time diving into why some devices are failing and in the case of a rouge device, which makes sense per the prior reply, will cause nothing but problems

With Z-Wave being a black block within ST, step one for me is isolating the root cause based on known data in the IDE, which is seeing what variables are different. I believe part of this is captured and defined within the DTH, and the other part is how the hub processes along with how/what the device itself responds with.

Since I have 20 of the exact same 15654 MP Receptacle purchased not far apart, in theory all data should be close if not exact across all devices, but, as my luck would have it, that is not the case.

1) Any idea why there would be a mix of manufacturer = “null”, data in role, ff, and ui across devices? Pictures at bottom to illustrate. Summarized table below. This is a small sample of my 20 devices, all of the 15654 receptacle

Device State manufacturer: role: ff ui:
1 Existing “null” tag not present tag not present tag not present
2 Existing “null” 05 8700 8700
3 Existing tag not present 05 8700 8700
4 Newly Included with DTH Automatically assigned “null” tag not present tag not present tag not present

1a) Existing Devices, DTH Updated Post Inclusion:

1b) Newly included after RBoy DTH added via IDE. Exclusion was also done prior to inclusion.

2) It also does not appear secure inclusion is working despite following the instructions to the tee as none show the S after the zw in the raw description. This is true even after a fresh exclude/include. I do see the S with other MP devices as outlined in this thread, but just not seeing here on this device.

Steps to reproduce #2 Put the hub into inclusion mode, physically verify a blinking green light on the hub (which doesn’t always happen when using the ST mobile app - it’s a crap-shoot), THEN plug the MP outlet in the wall which produces a rapid blink and the LED goes dead which per docs indicate the device was securely included.

If this belongs in another forum or should be reported to ST Support, please let me know. I do appreciate the replies and help. BTW, the updated DTH for this is working perfectly now. Thank you!

The manufacturer can be safely ignored. That’s collected by ST after inclusion but during the configuration phase, there’s a VERY short window for the hub to send this request after inclusion before the devices goes to sleep, so it’s a hit or a miss depending on if the command makes it in time or not. Anyways, it’s completely FYI only and has no bearing on anything.

What’s key is to look the raw description, those should be identical for all the devices. If they are not that would mean the inclusion had a problem or the device has a problem (with the exception of ZW which could have L or Ls if it’s securely included).

The best way to identify a rogue device is to exclude your devices. Add one device, do a Z-Wave repair see how it goes, then add the next device, do a Z-Wave repair and so on an so forth. It’s a slow process but the only reliable way. Note the Z-Wave repair is important since the route determines a LOT to do with Z-wave performance and responsiveness. You can see this quite easily, after pairing/doing a z-wave repair, now unplug the device and take it across the home and plug it in. You’ll notice it’s very sluggish in it’s response because the network mesh isn’t updated. Eventually after a few hours of discovery and optimization the mesh sorts itself out but it’s best to do a Z-Wave repair.

You’ve got this backwards, a fast blinking light means it was included WITHOUT secure inclusion.

To do a secure inclusion the light should be blinking slowly (see the first post), quoting:

MANUAL SECURE INCLUSION
b. Press and hold the power button on the device for 3 seconds and then release it when the lights starts blinking rapidly

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you! Your insight here is very helpful as clearly I missed the 3 second part. :slight_smile: Triple tapping also worked, but apparently that is Non-Secure mode. I appreciate the help and will give that along with the exclusion tip a try.

1 Like