How do you know if device is securely connected

(Joel W) #1

How do I tell from the IDE that a device is securely connected?

[RELEASE] Official Monoprice Smart Plug/Plugin Receptacle with USB Ports Device Handler
(Alex) #2

I am not certain this is the best way, but I noticed that when including my Aeon Smart Switch 6 using the secure method, the raw description in the IDE was:

zw:Ls type:1001 mfr:0086 prod:0103 model:0060 ver:1.03 zwv:4.05 lib:03 cc:5E,86,72,98 ccOut:5A,82 sec:25,26,33,70,27,32,81,85,59,7A,73 role:05 ff:8700 ui:8700

While when including it using the regular method, this is what was in the Raw Description:

zw:L type:1001 mfr:0086 prod:0103 model:0060 ver:1.03 zwv:4.05 lib:03 cc:5E,25,26,33,70,27,32,81,85,59,72,86,7A,73,98 ccOut:5A,82 role:05 ff:8700 ui:8700

Notice that the first one has an “s” after the L and the latter one does not. I am GUESSING that the ‘s’ stands for secure. Would be nice to have a more obvious method so as to bring attention to this aspect and encourage people to adopt the secure method before it becomes commonplace to hack people’s homes!

(Joel W) #3

None of my Z-Wave devices have a description that long or with an L or an L followed by an S so I am really lost now. I still wonder why all devices don’t pair securely automatically. Here is my Aeon Siren:
0 0 0x1005 0 0 0 f 0x5E 0x25 0x70 0x85 0x59 0x72 0x2B 0x2C 0x86 0x7A 0x73 0x98 0xEF 0x5A 0x82

(Alex) #4

Check the manual of the devices (they have to support zwave plus and if so there will be instructions for secure join… also the DTH needs to support it). In the case of the Aeon Smart Switch 6, if you press the button once it will join in the regular method, if you press it twice within 1 second it will join securely. Also, in many cases I have read that for the secure join to work you must be close to the hub… I am guessing that is because it needs to talk directly to the hub without any message relaying which is what happens in mesh networks. Once the device has exchanged the information required for a secure join you can move the hub, or device, back to their normal location. When moving the device, I would also do a network repair so that the new device can be integrated into the mesh network with optimal routing.

(Joel W) #5

Well the wall switches and outlets can’t be near the hub, so that is out of the question. Other devices such as IRIS contact sensors I don’t see a way for secure connection.

(Alex) #6

A secure connection is only feasible if both the device and controller are zwave plus. The only devices I have that are zwave plus can be moved near the hub so I never had the issue of trying to securely join a zwave devices wired far from the hub. I have ethernet wiring in the house so along with a pretty long cable I can likely get to any future remote zwave plus device. On ebay/amazon you can find some very long but cheap flat cat6 ethernet cables that you can use for this purpose.

A wireless ethernet bridge or a set of ethernet over powerline devices might also allow you to temporarily relocate the hub next to the device… Either this “close proximity” requirement is bogus or they really need to come up with some easier way to secure join remote devices (ie allow to do so on batteries without ethernet connected)

This might be of interest:

(Joel W) #7

I never looked at what my devices are Z-Wave or +

(Mark) #8

I could be wrong, but I think Z-wave devices that aren’t actually z-wave plus can still support secure inclusion.

I think the bottom line is the individual device should mention in its instructions how to join securely.

Zigbee doesnt have a a secure inclusion process (i.e. your Iris contact sensors can’t join securely).

(Mark) #9

Also since ST allows for mixing and matching z-wave and Zigbee, you might find that your experience is better overall if you have at least a basic awareness of which protocol your devices connect with. That way you can ensure you have a healthy mesh network of devices using either protocol, and depending on the specifics of your location one might even work better than the other.

(Joel W) #10

I have no noticeable problems. I have zigbe, Z-Wave WeMo And WiFi.