[RELEASE] Monoprice Shock, Acceleration and Vibration Sensor

RBoy Apps is an official partner of Monoprice.

This Device Handler is for the Monoprice Shock and Acceleration Sensor (15269)

This Z-Wave Plus sensor detects the vibrations, examples of it use include:

• intruder trying to break into a window/door
  • someone opening a drawer
  • movement of an object

The sensitivity can also be adjusted, so the system can be configured to ignore spurious vibrations, such as those caused by a passing car with a too-loud stereo system.

It supports both, Shock Sensor capability and also a Vibration/Acceleration Sensor capability, for use with SmartThings.

Classic App

The Sensor can be bought directly from Monoprice here for about $20

This device handler supports the following features:

1. Reading the following sensors
    • Shock/Acceleration
    • Battery
    • Tamper
  2. Support for v1 and v2 hub fingerprinting for easy identification
  3. Ability to request a manual update for the sensors and configuration (this is a delayed update at the next wake up)

NOTE:

• The vibration sensitivity can be adjust by opening the unit cover and using a screwdriver to adjust the + shaped white round knob. Turning it clockwise increases sensitivity, turning it anti-clockwise reduces sensitivity
  • To request the manual battery update, please press the ā€œRequest Updateā€ button, however this is a DELAYED update. The motion sensor is mostly in sleep mode to preserve battery. The next time it wakes up (every 6 hours), if the user had requested a manual update, it will fetch the latest battery state.

Low Battery: If your battery falls below 20% consider replacing it. The device will stop sending updates if the battery falls below this level. So you wonā€™t know if you battery has run out, the sensor may get stuck as well and you may receive no updates.

INCLUSION INSTRUCTIONS: It is recommended to install the Device Handler BEFORE paring the device for easier setup.

1. If you are unsure about the device state exclude/reset the device first otherwise it wonā€™t pair (see below)
  2. To pair the device, Select Add New Device on your ST phone app
  3. Then open the sensor device cover
  4. The red light should be flashing, if itā€™s not flashing you will need to exclude/reset the device first (see below)
  5. Press the Tamper switch and release it
  6. The red light should stop flashing and turn solid
  7. It should complete pairing within 30 seconds

NOTE: If youā€™re doing an inclusion after an exclusion, remove the battery first and then reinsert it and then follow the above instructions, otherwise the device doesnā€™t always pair up.

EXCLUSION INSTRUCTIONS: If you deleted the device without excluding it wonā€™t pair up again until you exclude it. To exclude the monoprice sensor:

1. Set the hub into exclude mode (log into the IDE ā†’ My Hub ā†’ View Utilities ā†’ Z-Wave Exclude.
  2. Place the sensor within 1 meter of the hub and push a pin into the little hole behind the sensor to initiate exclusion.

FACTORY RESET INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Remove the sensor unit cover
  2. Remove the battery
  3. Press and hold the Tamper switch, while holding the switch insert the battery and continue holding the Tamper switch for about 5 seconds
  4. After a few seconds the LED will light up solid, keep holding the Tamper switch for another 5 seconds and then leave it. The LED should starting flashing (now itā€™s excluded from the network). You may need to remove the battery and reinsert it if the LED stays solid

TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS

• The device works best when itā€™s within about 30ft of a Z-Wave repeater
  • After initial pairing if you move the device to a different location it can take time for the z-wave mesh to update itā€™s location during which time it may not be able to communicate with the hub. Do a Z-Wave repair to speed up the mesh reconfiguration process
  • If the device is shaken very violently, sometimes the ā€œspringā€ mechanism inside the device could get ā€œstuckā€ behind the capacitor in some devices which can cause it to stop sending further notifications until it is reset.

More features to added, if you have any suggestions or ideas please feel free to ask and weā€™ll try to add it.

Check out these other SmartApps

[RELEASE] Door Chimes and Notifications for Doorbells and Sensors

[RELEASE] Security System: Intruder Alert with Actions

This device type handler is available on the RBoy Apps Server, http://www.rboyapps.com. Refer to our website or facebook page below to get access to the server.

Visit our Facebook page for updates on new apps and to get Access to ALL our Premium Apps and Server. RBOY APPS SmartThings - Make your Home your Butler

3 Likes

Hi Can I use this on washer an dryer?

@RBoy @maddie
In addition to the #15269, is this DTH also written to work with the earlier Monoprice Shock Sensor #11988?

Havenā€™t specifically tested that model but you can try it out, it should work.

Installed the RBoy device handler and paired. It reads the battery and tamper switch, but no matter if movement or vibration, it always reads inactive.

Update - just figured out if the tamper switch is active, cover is off, it will not report any motion or vibration activity.

2 Likes

But is it sensitive enough to detect the dryer (or washer) running?

@RBoy @maddie
I finally got around to installing and testing your updated DTH with my Monoprice Shock Sensor #11988 and so far, it seems to work fine.

I was previously using version 1.0 of this DTH but found that it would randomly get ā€˜stuckā€™ as ā€˜activeā€™. In spite of advice to the contrary (i.e., itā€™s the sensorā€™s fault), the stock, ā€œZ-Wave Plus Door/Window Sensorā€ DTH worked very well (I.e., the sensor no longer got ā€˜stuckā€™). My only issue with the stock DTH is that I donā€™t like the ā€˜Contact/Open/Closeā€™ nomenclature that it uses for my use case as a doorbell sensor.

So, Iā€™ve loaded version ā€œ01.02.01ā€ of your DTH to see if it no longer gets stuck.

1 Like

Although Iā€™ve not tried it, Iā€™d say itā€™d likely that it would work. I have an earlier model of this sensor and Iā€™m using it as a doorbell sensor. If my grandsons play in the hallway near it or bump the wall, they regularly set it off. (As an aside, I have an override ā€˜switchā€™ to prevent it from becoming too obnoxious.) It is adjustable too. Since my wife and I are less rambunctious, we donā€™t often set it off by mistake. :grinning:

Awesomeā€¦ great news to hearā€¦ I already ordered it and will be trying it out tonight. Thx.

1 Like

@RBoy

Seems to be working well. Thanks!

I have 3 MP shock (15269) sensors, which do not seem to be responding with this DTH. It has been 18 hours, since the install. I see the DTH version is correctly reported in the activity log, but nothing else. The LED does light up when the sensor is shaken, but I do not see anything on the sensor activity or IDE log. The sensors are about 10ft from the ST hub. Please help :frowning:

Sounds like the events from the device may not be reaching the hub which would indicate a z-mesh issue. Try to bring your devices closer to the hub, reboot your hub and then do a z-wave repair.

Most passive z-wave devices benefit from the addition of a buffering device which holds the messages until the hub is ready to receive them (and vice versa). Try adding a buffered repeater between your devices and the hub.

1 Like

So I started from scratch - I paired two MP shock sensors. Both are close to the hub (<10ft), and paired from the same location. Both paired with the hub successfully, and were detected properly.

However, one is working well and detects shock/tamper.
The other is paired with the hub, but ST detects no shock/tamper.

I slightly modified the device handler code to print the {description} of the command send to the ST hub, this is what I see:

1. The working sensor sends the following command:

1. The non-working sensor sends the following command, which is parsed to a null command:

Can this provide any clues as to what might be wrong?

The packet may be corrupted so the hub isnā€™t processing it (this doesnā€™t appear to be a valid z-wave sequence). Try to reset the device and pair it again or try adding a z-wave repeater between the device and the hub.

Send me a PM and letā€™s see if we can extract more information from the device pairing. I need the device raw description from the IDE

Iā€™m hoping someone can assist me with my issue.

REF: Monoprice Shock and Acceleration Sensor 123 (15269)

Iā€™m having the same issues as most people here. I just purchased the device handler codes for $38 thinking it would fix my issues although when I apply the handler and add the device to my smartthings app, the device is added with RBOYS DH successfully although the sensor stays in an ā€œInactiveā€ state, even though I trigger the sensor (By tapping or shaking it) the DH on my ST app stays Inactive. Iā€™ve tried pretty much everything, spent about 4 hours last night trying to troubleshoot. Also tried using the default ST handler, and nothing. Ok I lied, I was able to get it working briefly although when I tried to remove the Rboys DH and delete the device from the ST app, I then tried to read it with the default DH to see if it would work, it didnā€™t, I then tried to read the RBOYS DH and it was in an INACTIVE state for good.

I also want to mention that I have 1 shock detect (MP) that I installed about a year ago, and it works perfectly with the ST default DH. Very weird that it no longer works and thinking that I paid for this DH and it still doesnā€™t work, is disappointing. This issue is causing much stress.

Iā€™m pleading for some help, any would be much appreciated, as Iā€™m my wits end. I have about 5 devices (purchased about 3 years ago still brand new) that Iā€™ve tested and same results.

Itā€™s probably not the DH. It could be the sensor is bad - but more than likely, itā€™s a communication issue that needs to get solved before anything else. You need some repeaters for a stronger mesh.

But the sensor is right beside the hub as Iā€™m testing ? What are those and how do I install them? Where Do I buy them?

Funny as the one I pair last year work fine.

Let me know. Many thanks .

If the sensor is right next to the hub, Iā€™d exclude it and then try to re-add it to your hub. Maybe the first time it didnā€™t link up correctly.

Regarding Z-Wave repeaters: Any Z-Wave device thatā€™s powered via house power (i.e., not batteries) is most likely a z-wave repeater. But, since the sensor is right next to the hub, thatā€™s probably not your issue. Iā€™d try excluding it, resetting it and trying to set it up again.

2 Likes

Youā€™re correct, it always helps to have a repeater between a device and the hub since the hub doesnā€™t buffer messages. Sometimes devices connecting directly with the hub face communication issues which disappear when they placed further away from the hub but with a repeater in between the hub and the device forcing the device to connect to the repeater. Hereā€™s a FAQ that explains it more detail: FAQ: why would I need another beaming repeater if my zwave lock is already close to my hub?

2 Likes

If the sensor is right next to the hub, Iā€™d exclude it and then try to re-add it to your hub. Maybe the first time it didnā€™t link up correctly.

Regarding Z-Wave repeaters: Any Z-Wave device thatā€™s powered via house power (i.e., not batteries) is most likely a z-wave repeater.

1 Like