New Monoprice Shock Detector Z-Wave Plus $34.99

Looks like Monoprice has a new Z-wave plus device which is a shock detector. No reviews yet but I just purchased it to give it a shot. Anyone use the old one they had? I plan to use this by a baywindow that I have near a door. Any other uses for a shock detector?

You can use code BBQ5 for $5 off the purchase

(Joseph) #2

I plan on getting a few of these after my new windows get installed

(Michael Hess) #3

Any other uses for a shock detector?

The punching dummy in your basement, so you know when your significant other is venting their frustrations? It’s like a hot/cold meter to warn you before coming home…

Well hopefully in that case it will notify me about light, medium and heavy hits so I can gauge the frustration properly.

(Michael Hess) #5

Hum, yes, sensitivity of the sensor is paramount in this use case scenario!

I’m curious how sensitive this thing actually is. I have a somewhat unique use case for this in mind. I was thinking I could attach this to the drain pipe for my sump pumps very close to the pump so I know if one has died and I can swap it before I have a basement flood. I have a leak sensor near the well but by the time the water reaches that it’ll be too late.

(Michael Hess) #7

If you want it to sense the pumps vibration, I’d recommend against that. The battery will drain very quick if it’s constantly reporting vibrations.

Maybe a power sensor like the HEMv1 would be a better bet.

(Realy Living Dream) #8

Wouldn’t it be just as easy to put another leak sensor by the sump pump , or it in an area that is always wet ? Place the sensor on top of a board or something so it will only go off if water is 1" deep ?

I know I can NOT put one by my water heaters or boilers, simply because I have boilers. I have drain pits under the boilers so when I flush the tanks out every couple week I just drain it right onto the concrete floor and it goes into the hole. I know I would forget to move it before draining.

Put one in your pillow/mattress to monitor you sleep?

Yeah I guess I could mount the sensor inside the well somehow. Not sure why I didn’t think of that before haha.

What is the dimension of this thing?

(Realy Living Dream) #12

Have an alert if bed starts moving when you are not home ?

(Tolik) #13

Im thinking if this will pickuo the vibration of mail being droped into mailbox. Although it would have ro withstand winter freeze temps.

Hack the batteries and panel from a landscape light. Many have 3.2 volt batteries.

(Jovan) #15

naughty/cheating spouse, you know…

(Lee Florack) #16

Just bought one of these and will try it out as a doorbell sensor (attach to the doorbell ding or dong) to then notify me and take action if the bell is rung. I have been using an ST-Multi sensor (using the vibration part). However, I started having an issue with it recently along with the ST changes made regarding ZigBee firmware updates - i.e., it’s causing a lot of false doorbell activations. This causes specifically programmed (via CoRE) lights to come on at 100% for 5 minutes before returning to their previous state. Of course, this happens in the middle of the night, so it’s a pain. Anyway, since this Monorpice sensor is Z-Wave, I hope that it won’t suffer from similar false positives like those for Zigbee firmware upgrade attempts.

We’ll see how it works.

(Lee Florack) #17

The Monoprice Z-Wave Plus Shock Sensor arrived today and I installed it as I detailed above. Since it’s Z-Wave, I should now avoid the issue with the ZigBee Firmware updates and attempted updates that cause my ST-Multi to false-activate - and my lights to come on at all times of the day and night.

Anyway, the new sensor paired quickly and without issue. Monoprice says its a Shock Sensor but ST and CoRe say it’s a contact switch - and you have to watch for the contact switch to report an ‘open’ condition. I didn’t load any special device handler - don’t even know if one exists. But I only wanted it to sense vibrations from the doorbell and report back on that as well as battery % reading. It does those things.

So far, it’s working well and fully integrated into my CoRE pistons and other smart apps. I’ll let you know if anything changes.

PS: Forgot to mention that there is a sensitivity adjustment and I set it to nearly fully sensitive and it seems to work just fine.

(cory) #18

what “type” of device shows up in ST? I have mine setup as a “zwave plus door/window sensor”, and it seems to work, but it does get out of sync sometimes. I don’t see a contact switch on the list.

(Lee Florack) #19

The IDE shows it as a “Z-Wave Plus Door/Window Sensor” as well. CoRE calls it a contact switch.

(Bobby Boucher) #20

These were ony $19.99 so I picked one up. Paired easy, found as Z-Wave Plus Door/Window Sensor.

Status never changes from open. If I smack the surface its on the red light comes on.

Is this thing broken?

Whats the timeout and refresh of this device?