RBoy Apps is now an official partner of Monoprice.
This Device Handler is for the Monoprice Motion Sensor with Temperature v1 and v2 models (15271/10796)
This passive infrared (PIR) sensor detects motion and sends a Z-Wave® trigger signal to the network. It also detects changes in temperatures and reports the temperature to the network whenever a significant change has occurred. It also has a tamper-proof switch, which will trigger a Z-Wave signal when the cover is removed.
This device handler supports the Z-Wave and Z-Wave Plus devices. Support has also been added for v1 and v2 hub fingerprinting for easy identification and supports the Classic and new ST apps. Ideally install the Device Handler BEFORE pairing the device for easy setup.
The Motion Sensor with Temperature can be bought directly from Monoprice here for about $24
We’ve worked with Monoprice create a special deal just for the SmartThings community:
15% of all Monoprice products with RBoy Apps Device Handlers
- Click here to visit the Monoprice website
- Use the code
- Monoprice offers FREE standard shipping in the US.
Enjoy, this code expires Dec 31. This is a stacked promotion code, i.e. it can be used in addition to with other promotions from Monoprice
This device handler supports the following features:
- Reading the following sensors
- Temperature (auto convert to F or C depending upon your location)
- Designed UI using the latest ST multiTiles with a clean view
- Ability to configure the following parameters:
- Temperature offset (for correcting the temperature reported by the sensor)
- Ability to configure the Inactivity timeout (the number of minutes since the last motion was detected after which the motion sensor sends a no motion detected event)
- Motion detection sensitivity (Z-Wave Plus devices)
- Wake up interval
- Support for v1 and v2 hub fingerprinting for easy identification
- Ability to request a manual update for the sensors and configuration (this is a delayed update at the next wake up)
- Easy to use configuration page with detailed explanations for all the parameters
- Ability to select the primary sensor to show in the ‘Things’ page (Temperature or Motion)
- With the newer Z-Wave Plus devices, the device handler automatically sets the temperature scale F/C based on the hub configuration and also sets the temperature reporting threshold to 1 degree
- After the configuration/preferences are updated, for the settings to take effect immediate, open the Motion sensor cover, wait 15 seconds and close it.
- To request the manual update, please press the “Request Update” button, however this is a DELAYED update. The motion sensor is mostly in sleep mode to preserve battery. The next time it wakes up (every 4 hours or as configured), if the user had requested a manual update, it will fetch the latest sensor status, temperature, battery and also update the inactivity timeout configuration.
- To force an immediate update for all configured settings, press the “Request Update” button and then open the device cover, wait for 15 seconds and close the cover. This forces the motion sensor to wake up and process the manual update request.
- To force a temperature/motion/battery status update just open the cover, wait for 15 seconds and close the cover.
MONOPRICE JUMPER PINS: On this device you will see a few Jumper pins labelled Pet1 and Pet2. When using Pet1, Pet2 and Test modes it reduces the distance at which it picks up motion correspondingly:
Depending on the settings it will change the distance of motion detection, specifically PET1 does 8m-11m, PET2 does 5m-7m, and Test does 3m-4m
NOTE: This is different from the motion sensitivity option for the newer Z-Wave Plus devices which determine the level of motion within the “range” that must be detected to trigger a motion event.
Low Battery: If your battery below 35% consider replacing it. The device will stop sending updates if the battery falls below this level. So you won’t know if you battery has run out, the motion/no motion sensors / temperature sensor may get stuck as well and you may receive no updates.
Temperature Updates: For the older Z-Wave devices, according to the documentation, “Every rise or drop of 2 degrees will trigger a notification to the Hub”. If you aren’t seeing too many temperature updates it’s likely that your room temperature isn’t changing much so the device will send fewer/no temperature updates. According to the monoprice technical team the temperature updates are sent every 10 minutes (if there is a change of atleast 2 degrees).
For the newer Z-Wave Plus devices, the device supports two options 1 degree or 2 degree threshold to trigger a temperature reporting update. This device handler automatically sets the reporting threshold to 1 degree when the “Request Update” button is pressed. Make sure you open the device cover, wait for 15 seconds and close the cover for it to take effect.
More features to added, if you have any suggestions or ideas please feel free to ask and we’ll try to add it.
INCLUSION INSTRUCTIONS: It is recommended to install the Device Handler BEFORE paring the device for easier setup.
- If you are unsure about the device state exclude the device first otherwise it won’t pair (see below)
- To pair the device, Select Add New Device from the MarketPlace on your ST phone app.
- Then open the motion sensor device cover.
- Push a pin into the little hole behind the sensor and press it a couple of times.
- The close the cover after it shows up
- It should complete pairing within 30 seconds
NOTE: If you’re doing an inclusion after an exclusion, remove the battery first and then reinsert it and then follow the above instructions, otherwise the device doesn’t always pair up.
EXCLUSION INSTRUCTIONS: If you deleted the device without excluding it won’t pair up again until you exclude it. To exclude the monoprice sensor:
- Set the hub into exclude mode (log into the IDE -> My Hub -> View Utilities -> Z-Wave Exclude.
- Place the sensor within 1 meter of the hub and push a pin into the little hole behind the sensor to initiate exclusion.