Post Requests for Zwave Edge Drivers Here (community-created)

I had read about it in the past, but I never wanted to understand and use Tasker for me and to manage notifications of other people’s phones. I deleted Life 360 and now we hope for Smartthings geolocation and Google geolocation… I hope one of the two works

3 Likes

Nope. After something happened in November that made all (50+) of my Z-Wave devices unresponsive in Smartthings, I went over to Hubitat and haven’t looked back.

Double the vote here. I have 4 Haiku fans I’ve been wanting integrated in my house for over 5 years.

Edge is not for SmartApps. In a smartthings, context, edge is for things that run on the hub, which means edge drivers that are replacements for the old DTHs and some of the official smartthings features for automations. But no method is provided To allow you to run custom app code on the hub.

So, as others have said, a big part of the issue is that you have to find your own way to host that app code, whether it’s on a local server like a laptop or a raspberry pi or whether it’s at a hosting service like Amazon Web services. And even if you do set that up, it’s not necessarily going to be easy to share with other people.

It can definitely be done, @taustin did it for his MQTT project, but it’s way more work and potentially more cost than the old smartapps, which were hosted for free in the Samsung Groovy cloud.

@Rafael_M also recently created a new endpoint smartapp as a replacement for a now obsolete, groovy smartapp. His GitHub has an excellent discussion of what he had to do to make it all work, and it’s not simple. But it’s a very good example of what can be done.

So there are no “edge smartapps.” There are “endpoint SmartApps” which communicate with the smartthings cloud through the REST API, but you still have to have your own place to host and run the code that decides when to communicate with smartthings, and what messages to send.

Some other platforms, including homeseer and hubitat, do let customers upload app code to that hub. But smartthings does not.

So I think that’s why you are not seeing a lot of people creating new endpoint smartapps right now. There are some, and sharptools is a very good thirdparty example, but most of the device manufacturers just don’t see the point in having to develop for yet another third-party system. They’d rather adopt matter and have one integration method that works with many different platforms.

3 Likes

Hi @csstup , is there an update on the Remotec ZFM-80 driver?

1 Like

@JDRoberts this might need a little update. Now we have automations working local

It’s complicated, because Samsung has never been very consistent with its Terminology, but that “automation” label is referring to the category of automations that includes endpoint smartapps and webhook smartapps, which is what those two icons are for. And neither of those run locally.

You’re absolutely right that there are other automations that do run on the hub if you count routines, and some of the official feature smart apps, like the new smartlighting , but those just aren’t shown on the diagram.

It’s an official diagram, so I don’t want to change it, but it would be good if it was updated eventually.

2 Likes

@Kraftwerx – stumbled upon this while trying to solve my path – it might be useful to check out this thread as well -
AEON Power Strip Binding just stopped working (presumably because groovy)

In the end, I was able to get things working with the default ST Edge driver, combined with (vEdge Creator and the new Smart Lighting App),

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Post Requests for LAN Edge Drivers Here (community-created)

Hi, any recommended Edge driver for First Alert Smoke and CO detectors like one of mine below? TIA.

Data * networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S2_FAILED

Raw Description zw:S type:0701 mfr:0138 prod:0001 model:0003 ver:11.00 zwv:6.07 lib:06 cc:5E,85,8E,59,55,86,72,5A,73,80,9F,71,84,70,6C

Current States
battery: 85 %
healthStatus:
DeviceWatch-Enroll:
checkInterval: 7320 s
DeviceWatch-DeviceStatus:
smoke: clear
carbonMonoxide: clear

It looks like you got it paired. Is the device working? If it works I would not worry about S2 failed.

I have 3 of these smoke detectors. Two of them are still currently working and have been for the past few years but the 3rd one failed in past few weeks. I have tried deleting that 3rd unit but now can’t add it as new device in the app. Thinking it maybe an older signature issue. Is there a live logging like in the old days to find that raw description of that unit to see if I can manually add it in IDE?

Did you exclude it? These are Z-Wave devices and they need to be excluded before they can be paired.

In mobile app - open hub tile - 3 dots - settings - Z-Wave utilities - Z-Wave exclusion. Then follow manufacturer’s exclusion procedure for your device.

2 Likes

The IDE is being shut down along with the old architecture. You can no longer use it for anything except some read only options to get information. But you cannot manually add devices or smartapps through the IDE anymore.

Life after the IDE: Questions and Answers

No, I didn’t exclude the 3rd smoke detector when deleting it. Odd, I don’t have any “hub” tile in my mobile app or at least I can’t find it. I can see the hub and execute Z-Wave exclusion in IDE for “My Hubs”.

Look for the hub in no room assigned.

IDE might still work but is being shut down so you should learn how to do it in the app.

Look in All Devices

1 Like

Hello, you were able to solve the problem with this device, I couldn’t use the virtual device anymore to manage the two lights independently. I’ve searched everywhere and can’t find a way to fix it. Thanks.

Thanks for letting me know I can’t manually re-add deleted devices via IDE. Oh well, I guess 2 of 3 smoke detectors still working post Groovy migrations is better than nothing unless I can somehow get that 3rd unit back online for monitoring. All 3 detectors still work together as they are wirelessly connected to each other except I won’t get any automation via ST.

1 Like

I looked all over including “All” and “No room assigned”. Do I need to uninstall ST app on my iphone and reinstall?