New Ikea tradfri Shortcut Button?

Ahhh, Brad, does ‘working great’ include acceptable battery life (1 month +)?
Second, any chance of a small tutorial on how to set up that edge driver?
The furthest I got was to install custom groovy drivers.
Do you still have to opt in to the edge beta?
Cheers,
Aidan

Device was added to SmartThings on February 27th, battery is reporting 44%.
I don’t believe it was a fresh battery, as i moved the shortcut button over from Hubitat.

I’m still enrolled in several Edge beta channels.
Should just be a matter of following the link, enrolling your hub.

2 Likes

I’m using the same driver and it has been rock solid for a few weeks now.
Oddly all of my Ikea buttons paired using various edge drivers installed with 44% battery and have not changed or dropped connection. Some have been going for over a month.

I wanted to try too, but strangely when I click on the link, it asks me to loghin, then the next screen remains the smartthings logo but it doesn’t load anything, not seeing any drives to install. Very strange thing, what could I feel? I have already tried from different devices, with different data connections and with different internet browsers. I think the problem is related to my account at this point. ideas? Do you have a different starting post of this drive to be able to ask directly for it too? Thanks

This post is where I first found the link to the Edge driver that @DJFliX created.

After logging in, you should see a button named Enroll.
You need to Enroll your Hub in order to access his channel.
Once that’s done, you will see the driver listed when you press the Available Drivers link.

1 Like

Thanks, yes I know the procedure for the edges, it was just a problem that from the link did not work. From here instead I was able to access and install the edge :+1: drive

Thank you for this drive for Ikea dimmer 2 buttons. I installed the drive but the remote control continues to install with DH and not with edge drive.

Do you have any advice to give me?
Thank you

Here is my experience with getting two Ikea Shortcut Buttons to work. Hopefully this will be a help to others.

I initially tried to add these without adding a driver. This involves 4 clicks on the button on the back of the button and “Scan for nearby devices” in Smartthings. The buttons were found, but registered as “Thing”, and were non-functional.

I tried changing the type to “Ikea Button” and “Zigbee Button” using the IDE, but this did not make them work.

I then found this thread, and used the Edge driver provided by @DJFliX (see above), which after a bit of trial and error worked fine. The buttons get detected using “Scan for nearby devices” in Smartthings and are automatically picked up as a “Ikea Shortcut Button”.

A couple of gotchas that are worth being aware of:

1. The battery that came with my first button was flat when it arrived. I wasted quite a lot of time failing to get the device to register before I found other people discussing “the flashing LED” and realised I’d got a dead device. Make sure you’ve not got flat batteries.
  2. You need to click the back-button four times quite quickly in order to trigger the pairing process.
  3. Even after using DJFliX’s driver, the buttons did not work when I first added them and I needed to remove and re-add each one a couple of times before it started working. This may have been caused by my previous messing around with “Zigbee Button” and “Ikea Button” drivers.
  4. There is mention earlier in this thread about having to re-pair the buttons after a battery change. I have been able to change the batteries in my buttons without needing to re-pair them with Smartthings.

I haven’t had them long enough to observe the battery drain issues reported above. I’ll keep an eye on this and report back.

I don’t think the Shortcut Buttons were ever added to the Ikea Button DTH, or any other stock DTH, so they probably weren’t considered for the Zigbee Button driver.

Hi all.
It looks that we cannot add anymore custom DH.
Tried to add the Ikea button and then changed the device handler to Ikea Button and then tried ZigBee Button one.
No events out of the button when pressed …
Any idea?
Thanks

I have been using the ‘Ikea Shortcut Button’ Edge driver from ‘Thisiswhytheinternetexists’ channel for several months now. Battery life has gone from 1 to 2 weeks to about 2 months.

1 Like

I’m also using the Edge driver from ‘Thisiswhytheinternetexists’ aka @DJFliX (New Ikea tradfri Shortcut Button? - #89 by Sakari)

My battery life has been close to 8 months on several of my Shortcut buttons, but battery life seems to vary.

i wish i was ive been getting about 4 to 5 days battery life

We cannot install anymore drivers via custom dh right?

This is correct.

Hi @montyfert
When you say 4 to 5 days, is this with the Edge driver?
Here are two things I do that may be relevant:

1. I use premium batteries (not Ikea)
  2. When I ‘rediscover’ the button, after fitting a fresh battery, I do so from the location where it will be used.
    I do the latter on a hunch; after reading somewhere that the zigbee stack caused the routing to constantly change. Might be relevant; might not.
    Cheers, Aidan

yes with the eedge driver and the battery is a lir2032 fullly charged

HI Guys,
I have paired the button with the v3 ST hub and downloaded the edge driver as per this thread. Everything pairs and I can see the device but i get the message of “failed to obtain device status”. Without this I assume that it does not know when it is being pressed so no routines work with it, Any ideas at all? I think I’m getting close :wink:

1 Like

Anyone please? :blush:

you could try removing it and re pairing again , ive not had that problem so not sure how to help.
martin