Hopefully this post will save newbies (like myself) hours upon hours of troubleshooting!
With the GD00Z-4, clicking the garage door opener in the ST app would result in the following…
- If door is open, app status changes from “Open” to “Closing”
- If door is closed, app status changes from “Closed” to “Opening”
- GD00Z-4 would then beep/flash for a few seconds
- The garage door would not move, nothing would happen
As a little background, the GD00Z-4 installed successfully (wired tight in same terminals as wall switch), paired perfect with ST, and even synced up correctly in the ST app when doing the initial 2 cycle (open/close) with the wall switch.
With very little help available through ST or these forums (as no one else is experiencing this issue) and after spending hours upon hours searching the web, I found a tip mentioned by an Amazon customer’s review. He stated that his GD00Z-4 was having the same exact issues I was when he’s wall switch had a motion detector and temperature reading and etc. Upon switching to a basic wall switch with just a push button, his issues were resolved and everything worked. I started to get a sign of relief since, guess what, I have a similar wall switch like he does which contains a motion detector and etc.
So since I’m not a electrician and expert on the wiring and voltage for these devices I decided to contact Linear tech support as well as Chamberlain (my garage door manufacturer) support in regards to this issue.
What they “essentially” mentioned is that I have a premium wall switch (meaning its not a basic push button switch) and with features such as the motion detector, it requires the full 24v for the terminals in the garage door opener. So what this means of course is that regardless how many devices I connect in parallel to those terminals (with the wall switch) none of them will work since the voltage is already maxed out for those terminals preventing any signals from being received. I do realize it’s probably more technical than that but that’s what I got out of it haha!
I have to replace my existing wall switch which looks similar to the picture below…
With a basic wall switch like shown below…
With replacing my existing wall switch I will miss out on a critical functioning part of my garage which is the motion detector which turns on the garage door opener lightbulbs on motion detection. Note that this is only a problem when the garage is already open or already closed as the garage door lightbulbs will still turn on and function as intended when opening/closing the garage door. A scenario where (without motion) the lightbulb would not turn on would be if you are taking trash to the garbage bin in the corner of the garage (since you aren’t opening or closing the garage door, just moving through the garage).
To overcome this new issue, essentially I would now need to purchase another z-wave motion detector, and either a z-wave lightbulb or z-wave wall switch (roughly $60 - $100 total) which I could then setup through ST to come on automatically when motion is detected but then in certain cases now I would have both the z-wave light turn on to motion and also the garage door opener lights turning on as well when opening the garage (causing waste of electricity but probably no issue for most people).
Before I head down this “more expensive” path, I was wondering if the community is able to answer a few questions so I can do a tiny bit more troubleshooting…
- Does anyone else use a Linear GD00Z controller wired in parellel with a wall switch that contains a motion sensor?
- Any cheaper options I’m not thinking of with still maintaining that motion detection since I lose it with the basic wall switch (without getting rid of the GD00Z)?
- How was I able to use a previous (Evolve LFM-20) relay configured with a “z-wave momentary relay” device type through the app without any issues to open/close the garage door if the full voltage was still taken (although when the relay was activated it turned off my wall switch for those 2 seconds before the relay was deactivated which wasn’t what I wanted at all)?
- Can the GD00Z issue possibly be fixed through ST with a device type configuration or code change similar to the “z-wave momentary relay” (but I doubt it since the voltage cannot be split)?
Thanks again everyone for taking the time to read this or provide suggestions!
I hope this post at least helps someone else out!