Hub Firmware 18.x Beta

Found a bug in smart lighting. This rule will not save and gives me this in the logs. This has been working fine for a long time. It triggers off of power allowance.

I see the firmware on a smartthings device updated at 4:57AM EDT yesterday… since that time I saw the battery 1% and refresh to 33% happen three times (including this morning)…

Battery levels for a lot of smartthings devices are now much lower after this update…

1 Like

Hue lights showing not available…yet shows activity from when I used hue app to change lights…Never happened until this update…

Thanks for the report. We now have a fix that we’ll release next week. In the meantime the easiest way to get this working again is add a virtual device to the automation. That should be enough to avoid the problem and once the fix is released you can remove the device from the automation again.

Please explain… What do you mean just add a virtual device? What kind? To do what?

Is this message related to the new beta? This was in my event logs.

Zwave power cycle started

and this message in the past I would only see when I initiated a reboot of the hub. These hub updated, zwave radio on seem to appear every so often now.

As part of this beta are there any new officially supported device types?
Are there any new devices moved to local processing?

For example, is the mimolite now run local?

Or the Zigbee Button, which can be used for the Iris button, is that local yet?

Tracking down a device in zeave repair failure. I cannot find this device “[87]”

How can I find this device? I do not see this in my device list?

I initiated 1 reboot, does this message mean that my hub rebooted 3 times in response to one reboot request?

@bamarayne If you create a device in graph (on the My Devices page) and give it the type of a Simulated Switch then add that device to your power allowance rule along with the ones you already have it should resolve this issue until we can get the release out early next week. Certain devices will force it down a different code path and avoid the issue for the time being.

Gotcha… That makes perfect sense. I’ll do that and let you know if it works.

I have noticed battery problems as mentioned before. New fresh batteries show 67% after install in SmartSense Motion detectors. I checked the batteries that I removed and they are more than 50% good.

Hey Tim, Looks like I am still sitting on 000.016.00014.

1 Like

If you have updated the end device firmware for SmartThings devices, you may see battery drop for a couple reasons:

1. Performing a firmware update involves a fair number of transmits which uses up some battery capacity
  2. The new device firmware reports battery differently. I believe some updates to the DTH need to be made to deal with these values properly.

Even with the new device firmware, getting a good read on battery as a percentage from a Li-Ion coin cell is a tricky problem due to the discharge characteristics of the batteries. The only real data available within the device is the battery voltage (under load and at rest) which is mostly steady through much of the battery life cycle. As an example, see the pulse load voltage characteristics for the Energizer CR2032 battery: http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/cr2032.pdf. In our tests we have seen even more dramatic voltage drops for “new” (they are never really new as they have been on the shelf for some time) batteries out of packaging.

We’ll see if we can get the DTH changes out there to provide some better (but not perfect) numbers.

1 Like

That would be appreciated. Thanks.

I replaced all 5 batteries in the st sensors that were reporting 1% after the ota update. Two of them are once again reporting 1% and reporting active when no motion is occurring. I verified the replacement batteries were at 3.2v or higher.

My experience is that when it gets to 22% the sensor no longer functions.

Looks like we’re having similar issues, my hub is resetting every 10 minutes since the beta firmware was loaded. My Internet connection is solid, however I resetted my router anyways, I’ve also reset the hub numerous times.

Z-wave repairs are riddled with errors and I have two device IDs appearing in the error logs that don’t exist in my device list. I’ve tried the usual process of manually creating a device with the same ID, then removing it…but the errors persist. Support has been unable to help clear the errors or remove the ghost devices, quite frustrating.

@sgonsalves

I think my ghost device is resolved.

I previously had excluded the zwave repeater half of a lowes iris plug when I was diagnosing device health issues.

I added it back and it has the device id that was shown in the error log.

So assuming zwave devices sometimes get/always get the same device id that was my issue.

Zigbee devices seem to get new device id’s when joined back to hubs.

Question: Do zwave devices typically retain their device ids?