Hub Firmware Beta 0.34.x

Hey everyone!

We’re excited to announce the start of a new SmartThings Hub Firmware Beta. Version 0.34.x will begin rolling out in batches starting in the week of November 30th; we will send out an email when we start updating Hubs. We will be paying close attention to any issues encountered by users so your hub may not get updated right away. The hub will be offline for about a minute during the update. See below for more specific details about the update.

Version

• 0.34.x

Hub Target:

• Samsung SmartThings Hub 2015 (Hub v2)
  • Samsung SmartThings Hub 2018 (Hub v3)

Release Date:

• November 30th - December 4th, 2020

Release Notes:

Features

• Z-Wave Device Firmware Update Beta - Update the Inovelli Ilumin RGBW Smart Bulb (LZW42) device firmware to version 2.30 over the Z-Wave network.
    • WARNING - This feature is in the beta stage and will ONLY be available for the Beta users. If for any reason you have an applicable device and do not want the device’s firmware to be updated, we encourage you to opt-out of the 0.34.x beta.
    • Device firmware updates are automatically attempted every 24 hours. Your device(s) will be updated no earlier than 24 hours after you receive the 0.34.x Hub firmware.
    • If an update fails for any reason, another attempt will be made in 24 hours. Failures may occur for reasons such as
      • Device going offline
      • Poor connection with the device
      • Heavy network traffic
    • During the beta, you can check the status of your device firmware updates using the SmartThings IDE/Graph
      • Under My Devices, select the applicable device.
      • On the device page, find the Data section. If an update is in progress or has been completed (successfully or not), the following fields will be displayed to display the result of the update:
      • Note: The version in the device’s raw description will not change.
    • We are actively looking to expand the Device Firmware Update list, and we encourage our users to provide us a list of devices to be added in future releases. To suggest devices, head over to the dedicated thread.

Zigbee Enhancements

• Added Zigbee 3 Support for Samsung SmartThings Hub 2015 (Hub v2)
  • Increase the number of Zigbee end devices that can directly connect to the Samsung SmartThings Hub 2015 (Hub v2) to 64 to match the Hub v3
  • Firmware updates for the SmartThings Smart Bulb:
    • Changes to more quickly rejoin the network if the network parameters change

Z-Wave Enhancements

• Add support for local handling of temperature, mode, fan mode, and operating state reports on the Z-Wave Battery Thermostat DTH.

Bug Fixes

• Fix an issue where a Z-Wave device is not automatically removed after the device has been factory reset.
  • Reliability improvements to hub connected device health reporting.
  • Minor bug fixes and improvements

NOTE

• Anyone who participated in the previous beta (0.32.x) is automatically signed up for this one.

If you’d like to participate in the beta but haven’t taken the survey yet, you can Sign Up Here

If you’d like to opt-out, you can also leave the program via the Account Settings menu item in Centercode

14 Likes

Is the Z-Wave firmware updates only going to be for the Inovelli device or will there be more added? I’ve got Aeotec devices (Aeotec Multisensor 6) that need updating but hate to buy the stick just for a one time use.

Sounds super exciting. Where do we submit a list of devices and firmwares? I have some firmwares for ZigBee and zwave devices.

3 Likes

looks like some cool changes!

So I assume at this point OTA update is only for this one device? Is the plan to allow the user to upload their own firmware file or will it work like Zigbee devices where the manufacturer has to provide the update file through SmartThings and then we have to wait on hub firmware updates?

I think this firmware also enables local control for z-wave battery thermostat?

I’m very excited to see the real possibility of automated firmware updates for Z-Wave devices. I’ve felt that the lack of this feature was a major shortcoming of the SmartThings platform since I started with it years ago. If enough device manufacturers can get on board with this we could have a much better performing and more secure ecosystem. Kudos to @Eric_Inovelli for his company being the first!

3 Likes

Paging @TheSmartestHouse to submit firmware update files for their Zooz devices :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I realize that the thread linked below is a very long thread, but there are many devices identified by users early in the thread that could greatly benefit from updated firmware.

Z-Wave firmware update thread

Hope that helps.

Cheers

3 Likes

Although a super long shot, Fibaro double switch 2 and single switch 2

1 Like

Very exciting indeed!

This is awesome news!

My dream is that Jasco joins this program and that all of my dimmers and switches can be upgraded to the same functionality…

4 Likes

@Kianoosh_Karami

Please add Leviton Z wave dimmers to the list of devices for firmware updates.

2 Likes

Leviton Z-Wave switches and dimmers

1 Like

From the last firmware update of the hub v3 to version 32-12, in early October 2020, Samsung’s zigbee multisensors for doors and windows, manufactured by sajim, update temperature changes with an accuracy of 0.1 °. Before they did it with 1 °.
Since then, the batteries have started to discharge very quickly I think that because they send the information to the concentrator very frequently, every 5 minutes I have seen in the log.
In less than a month the battery levels have dropped from 70% to 25% in the most used door and to 50% in the others.
Samsung motion sensors, manufactured by samjin, also send temperature every 5 minutes and the battery drops less because it has a higher capacity.
Yesterday it sold out and I changed the battery that was to 25%. In 2 months it has consumed 70% of the battery, while with the previous firmware 31 it consumed 30% in 8 months.
I communicated it to smartthings support, they asked me for the logfiles and I don’t know any more.
Has anyone noticed something similar?
Can you try to solve with the new firmware version?
It would be important to continue using these original smartthings sensors.
Thanks

1 Like

We’re on it :wink:

7 Likes

Hey @TheSmartestHouse

Get a license to sell/rebrand a version of the ST hub :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think the device reports the same amount as before, only the rounding was changed.

I don’t know if the device will send information the same number of times yo hub, but since the change to firmware 32 the device log reports show temperature change of 0.1 ° C. With firmware 31 do it with changes of 1 ° C.
In fact, with firmware 31 I made an automatic action with the condition of execution temperature >= x from door sensor and as they only execute when changes of state, only to execute it with the precision of +/ - 1 ° C.
Now it would work fine with an accuracy of 0.1 ° C, but the battery would have to be changed every 2 months. Bad business, before the batteries live almost 2 years. I have several multisensors of these and if it does not resolve they will be replaced.

I have made some changes in the temperature refresh times in the “Divice Handler: SmartSense Multi Sensor”. I have set the temperature maximum refresh time to 15 min and it seems that it is sending the temperature information log every 15 min instead of 5 min as it is in the original code. I’m going to test some days on two sensors to see how it goes.
I turn the subject to “Device and integrations”, which is where I had it and had not received any comments.
thanks.

Let’s say I have updated my bulbs with a secondary controller, and SmartThings sees the bulbs on firmware 2.28 still in the ide, but they are actually running 2.30. should I run into any issues when the beta applies?

Need all Jasco Dimmers and Switches, All Inovelli gear and

Please for the love of all that is holy, someone PLEASE load up the Somfy / Graeber / Bali / Springs Window Fashion motor firmware GREATER than v.11.3. (The Somfy motor stalling issue) I’m tired of answering PM’s for people asking for that firmware. And no - for the record I deleted it like was supposed to and don’t have it anymore.) :slight_smile:

(tagging @ZebraBlinds - Neal - something you guys might want to look at.)

2 Likes