Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

Nah. I just wired in the controller, made sure to get the antenna out of the housing and closed it up. I’m sure the insulators probably protect something… but they aren’t necessary for the fan to work and since this is my second install (the first was the Home Decorators with the controller included) and I didn’t see any need to mess with them.

1 Like

Omar, I used the link in the first post of this thread. However, it looks like it out of stock again.

Thanks. I think I remember at some point, some people complaining that the zigbee antenna was getting shorted or something which then fried the module? Could have been that. I haven’t had any issues with the KoF model I installed either.

Can’t they just get these things in stock? Can never catch them when they are and I never get the emails when they are available either

Yup, I’m getting out of stock status. Incredible how soon it went out.
I found this in Amazon, would it be the same? there are conflicting comments, one guy says it supports wink but other guy says it doesn’t.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N55F4S1?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-a0047-mac00-other-nomod-us000-pcomp-feature-pcomp-wm-2-wl-pst0_pfd0_prc0_bdg0_ask0&ref=bit_pcomp_simstreat_c_sav0

Home Depot I found doesn’t carry a lot of HA stuff. It’s kind of surprising they carry this but iguess cause it’s wink compatible that’s why. Even so they don’t have a lot of zigbee or zwave fans (just the one that I’ve seen where this device comes from), it’s mostly bluetooth and controlled via phone.

And really home Depot doesn’t stock a lot of it so I wish they sold this on Amazon

this is a remote only and does not include the receiver

Also the Wink model is 4 speed

same here…went to order 2 more and says out of stock. and now i get an email from HD that the item is in stock ???

That is just the remote.

I ordered mind from King of Fans a week ago and ordered the wall remote from Home Depot online, which was in stock. Yesterday, I got the wall remotes. Today I got the module and remote control. The fans I purchased this spring and they had remotes so replacing the remote module was pretty easy. I just cut the plug off of the original one and wired up the 3-wire plug from the old to the white, blue and black on the module so I could still disconnect the fan and take it down if I need to do maintenance in the future. These fans have a flush mount base so I could not extend the antenna out of it but I have not had any problems with range.

The first one I installed claimed something went wrong and I have 2 child lights and deleted one of them but when I add things to the thermometer app to kick them on, I see duplicates of high, medium, medium-low, low, breeze, off, and light switches. I cannot figure out how to get rid of those. I tried deleting the child app in the device but it gave me an error. I do not see them anywhere in the app or on IDE.

I set up the second fan with no problems at all.

I might think about deleting everything on the first fan and re-joining it. I still have the wall switch because I was going to replace them when I replace a ceiling fan that stopped working that started all of this. Easier to install the module before installing the replacement fan.

@ranga, @dalec or @stephack, any suggestions? App works great, otherwise and I thank you for your great work.

Kahilzinger, you mean you ordered the zigbee controller from “King of fans”? is that a website? I looked on google and the only site I found with this name requires to download flash player 9 to view it… seems sketchy. could you share the link where you got it?
thanks

See post #33 above.

I called them

they are coming in stock occasionally. You just have to be vigilant. They are like the Nintendo Switch: Demand is ridiculous and they are selling out the same day they are available. On a side note: I have smartthings and wink both, and this unit would not stay paired to my smartthings hub. It has had no drop-offs at all from Wink. This may be the size of my mesh as i have a bunch of zigbee bulbs on my wink mesh as well as some remotes. Anyway, smartthings functionality would have been preferred because wink doesn’t expose fan controls to Alexa. I had to create shortcuts for each fan speed and have ifttt trigger them. It’s ridiculous to say “alexa, turn on kitchen fan off.” Plus my wall switch is on smartthings (it’s a lightify and it’s literally the only thing i have that smartthings supports that wink doesn’t) so what i ended up doing was have that switch control virtual switches ifttt monitors. What a pain… but at least it’s reliable now.

Does anyone care to weigh in on whether or not the remote reverse would work on a fan that has that built in with a different controller?

See http://www.delmarfans.com/media/catalog/product/pdf/fans/Kichler/Product-Manual/300008.pdf for an example - the wiring diagram is on page 7. It seems that this controller could potentially replace the one in the fan, with the only lacking thing being the fact that the fan I posted has an uplight and a downlight while the HB controller only supports one light. I could probably live with that if everything else would work, I’d just use a separate wall switch/dimmer to control the 2nd light, or for the space I’m thinking, I might just forego the downlight.

The room that needs a fan has 18’ ceilings, so changing a manual reverse switch wouldn’t be ideal. I’d have to poke at it with a long stick from a balcony about 10’ away.

I got tired of waiting, and have been on a kick to replace all of my switches lately. Called for replacement parts and ordered 3 of these. They are currently $39 a piece + $12 shipping regardless of how many. They are also out of Ft. Lauderdale if anyone is local and wants to try to go to them directly.

1 Like

So I finally installed the ZigBee controller I got from Hampton Bay / Home Depot using the aforementioned kit that is occasionally available on the HD website. Good news is that it paired and worked almost effortlessly after I got the wiring correct. Bad news is that it seems that the controller is of the “solid state” type and not of the “capacitor” type.

The fan, which is the super-silent 4-speed “Sophia” fan from Hunter, had a capacitive controller in it and the use of the Hampton Bay controller produces a distinctive hum. It would seem that the better fans tend to use capacitors to control the speed since this makes the motor run very silently. Using a non-capacitive control can result in the hum.

So, now I have the sucky choice of either using the Hampton Bay controller and benefiting from the automation while tolerating an annoying hum or go back to the original one and forgo the automation, Interestingly enough, the kit from HD appeared to be slightly used so maybe someone else figured out this fatal flaw / annoyance and returned it.

Ick.

I just checked and they are back in stock. That said, I still didn’t get an email alert from Home Depot. Seems like this might be their best kept secret.

Good luck getting yours!

1 Like

Came to post they were in stock, beat me to it! Ordered 2

I got an email this morning and I also ordered 2. I got 3 receivers direct a few weeks ago, but I really want that white remote!
Speaking of, anyone know of a good wall cradle for these remotes?