Ideas for ceiling fan and light

Hi all, just got a new hub and I’m looking for a solution to my issue now that I’m finally getting to get my house a litter smarter.

I number of years ago I bought a ceiling fan from Costco. It has served us well but now just annoyed at it since we’re sick of using a rubber button remote to turn on and off the fan/light.

Issue: I only have a 14/2 wire from the fan to the light and I’m not able to run another wire from the fan to the switch.

Opportunity: Basically what I’d like to do is control the fan/light independently of each other from the switch and of course from the app.

Options? I can’t figure this one out and I can’t find in the forum’s my specific setup. Issue of course I’m new to this game so I’m still a little fuzzy what I need to look for.

Thanks for your time.

search for Hampton Bay from Home Depot

1 Like

There is a custom device handler that allows it to be controlled in ST.

Good Luck!

Thanks. I’m not interested in a remote, just a switch and some sort of fan/light relay. Do you know if I could use this:

Along with a compatible switch?

See the Fan FAQ. It lists the various options. Although the thread says “Alexa“ in the title, it’s the same device options whether you are using a voice assistant or not. :sunglasses:

FAQ: 2018 Ceiling Fan and Dimmer light wall mount control compatible with SmartThings and Alexa?

Also, in the case of the Hampton Bay, you mount their smaller remote on the wall and that becomes your switch. There are pictures in the FAQ.

Fanimation website says their wifi fansync works with st

I don’t see them on the official compatibility list yet. They do have an IFTTT channel, so you should be able to get some integration that way, but I don’t know how much. The install guide for their most popular Wi-Fi model says you have to use IFTTT for SmartThings integration.

https://www.fanimation.com/files/4415/5000/7287/WFR50_AC_Receiver_Inst_Sheet_12_25_18.pdf

Link with Amazon Echo, Google Home and IFTTT
Select the device you want to connect and follow the instructions in the set up procedure.
Amazon Alexa Help: Amazon.com Help In order to connect with NEST, ECOBEE, Samsung Smart things, wink, etc. that you must connect via IFTTT.

Note that this only works with the Wi-Fi models, not the Bluetooth models.

The Hampton comes with a module that goes in the fan/light wiring at the fan. The module is controllable through the custom DTH for ST. The remote is just a bonus.

2 Likes

Can consider this from Sonoff

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like the Hampton Bay controller is my best option. Now I just have to figure out how to get it here in Canada.