Getting there from fresh install. ADT Smartthings app and configuration advice sought. Iris orphan needing to get to speed

Okay so the scoop is I have more or less decided on the ADT Smartthings rig as it offers for the most part what I want in a smart home and security system, so I now need to crash course on how do I set it up not just hardware but software as well…

The hardware intended to be put into play.

ADT Smartthings home security starter kit. Hub, 2 door and window sensors, 1 motion sensor.
15 @ ADT door and window sensors. 2 set up on hinges (see pic of my 1st generation Iris sensor setup below).
Ring Video Doorbell 2. Hard wired.
2 @ Ring spotlight cameras (wired).
Ring floodlight camera.
5 @ ADT Smartthings smoke detectors
2 @ ADT Smartthings smoke / Carbon monoxide detectors (living room where the fireplace is, and garage).
ADT Keychain remotes x2. 1 for my wife, 1 for our housekeeper. I don’t really need a panic button.
2 @ Iris 2nd generation contact sensors. I know it can’t trigger an ADT alert, but it SHOULD be able to at least monitor / log events such as access from the house to the garage / workshop.
1 Iris 2nd generation motion sensor. again garage workshop. The point of these will be to play “where’s the cat?” She likes to sneak into my workshop and hide quietly, ends up locked in the shop when I go to bed. Angry cats are no fun!
2 sets of 3 way Zwave switches. 1 set hallway, 1 set main vanity.
6 Zwave dimmer switches. 1 for each bedroom, 1 for living room, 1 for dining room.
6 Zwave 3 speed reverssible fan controllers. Master vanity, master bedroom, living room, front, mid, and back bedroom, and kitchen.
Zwave light switch in the following spaces.
Master Vanity.
Master Bath
Main bath.
Back porch. This will have the Ring floodlight. Should I bypass the switch all together?
Workshop.
Front door.
Front bedroom closet.
Main Bath.
Iris 3rd generation ZigBee smart plug.
2 @ Utilitech Indoor Zwave sirens.
Honeywell WiFi smart thermostat
2 @ Amazon Echo Dot smart speakers.

The switch / hinge configuration I am running because I wasn’t sure Iris would be around, and sadly I was right, but here is how I am using a regular door / window sensor as a tilt sensor.

Requirement #1. Monitor and trigger alert events in the event that there are any intrusion, fire or CO2 events.
Requirement #2. On all triggered alarm events, turn ON all lighting visible from the outside of the house. So the back porch, spotlight cameras, front door light, kitchen, each of the bedrooms, living room, and master bedroom and bath lights. Also Trigger all available sirens, so the Utilitech sirens, the one on the hub, and the ones on the Ring devices. Cancelling the alarm should turn the noisemaking devices off but keep the lights on.
Requirement #2. Control HVAC from within the automation app. I don’t want to dig into multiple apps to say lower the temps and speed up the ceiling fans.
Requirement #3. Set up various schedules / scenes such that lighting comes on and off throughout the house when we are not there, that would simulate presence. This is also where the smart plug comes in. Use the smart plug to control a radio.
Requirement #4. Integrate voice control, in a secure fashion within Alexa. I would like to just say "Alexa switch master fan to medium, or high and speed up my fan over my bed etc…
Requirement #5. Have some method, probably a keychain remote that allows for access for our housekeeper, that I can disable on an as needed basis. Our housekeeper is a luddite that barely uses a flip phone. Not quite Amish, but certainly not a smart phone user, so smart phone app is unacceptable for her access…
Requirement #6. A smart plug for Smartthings that can handle 15 amps constant, 20 amps continuous for my overhead air filter in my workshop. The controls on it are hard to reach for me. Need recommendation on smart plugs that will stay on the market FWIW…
Nice to have #1. Integrate my Iris 2nd Generation keypad. This would be awesome for access for my housekeeper…

So with all of that long wided explanation… What apps would I use and how would I go about configuring this mess? Not asking for specifics, but more generalities on how to integrate my stuff, and how to configure / setup my system and app to meet my requirements…

I understand that there are multiple SmartThings apps, the old, and the new, and I guess there is an ADT SmartThings app…

In case it matters, I am going to be using a Samsung Galaxy Note 9.

1 Like

I would say start with this Topic, its has links to a few pages which should get you 90-95% of everything you’re looking for:

For much of this you will require the cloud and a community create app called ADT Tools 2 to do. The ADT Alarm doesnt send commands natively to Smartthings so ADT Tools will help by performijg some of the tasks for you when the alarm is triggered. This is also a good time to look at what other smartapps are listed and install them. For some reason Smartthings removes many apps after the ADT hub is added so if there is a smartapp that looks like you will use it add it just in case.

First when you get the panel but before you add it to the Smartthings app lets setup your location. Load the Smartthings classic app and with no sensors simply install Smart Home Monitor. This will simply enable some features in ADT Tools that will not qork otherwise. You could also install ADT Tools at this point as well if you have all the needed IDE stuff done.

Now add your ADT Smarthings panel and start adding your devices. If these devices are already connected to you iris hub you may nees to do reseta or zwave exclusions to accomplish the adds. Start feom things that are close to the hub and work your way out so you can hopefullu get the best mesh network for zwave. When adding the dual branded sensora make sure you go through the ADT security setup and assign them the appropriate naming and sensor type so the ADT Alarm know how to properly use the sensor. Do you walk tbrough test to make sure each sensor is working properly.

At any point you can add the cloud pieces like the ring cameras and doorbell.

Once all your devices are configured there are a few smart apps you will likely want to use. You will want to install the smart lighting app. It is great for automating most functions with lights and will be 100% local if the bulbs and switches it uses are local.

Now requirement 1 can be satisfied with either using all ADT sensors that monitor those kind of events or using some notification smart apps like “notify me when”. ADT tools also enables enhanced notifications as well with any sensor.

Req 2 can be done with ADT Tools 2. Indont know of any other all in one app that does it. You will just need to setup the correct alert action in ADT Tools.

Req 3 can be accomplished in part by Smart Lighting. The simulated presense is a bit more complicated, but i do believe there are community driven apps that will turn on and off lights for this purpose. Room manager is one that comes to mind bit not sire how well it works for it.

Req 4 is simpley adding the alexa skills to integrate with Smartthings. This should be easy

Req 5 may be difficult since the ADT keychain functions really outside of the smartthings side. The keychain would work, but likely without a schedule. I would suggest just giving her a code on the Smartthings panel that has a schedule associated with it.

Req 6 will be a little hard as i think most cap at 15 amps. I have heard it has been done, so i know something is out ther.

Your nice to have can be accomplished in one of two ways. Either a app from Rboy or lock manager. If you look at the ADT Tools 2 wiki at thingsthataresmart.com it has a lockmanager fork that was updated to work with ADT Tools and the ADT Smartthings panel.

cool installation with picture.

1 Like

The hinge is a segment of 3/4" continuous piano hinge I had left over from a workshop project years ago. I am using this in lieu of a “tilt sensor” mostly as I wasn’t sure Iris was going to be around much longer (which it isn’t) and I had spare first generation contact sensors.

I don’t see tilt sensors available for the ADT Smartthings setup, so this is likely going to be the only way I can monitor my workshop / garage doors with Smartthings.

1 Like

You have a couple of options for creating your security setup:

1. ADT professional monitoring. Nothing can beat this, they have a special setup with ST, runs locally, no UPS required, a nice panel and so on and so forth. However it does not have separate actions for each mode. It has an added advantage that it can make calls to you and also send a SMS to single number, push notifications and I think it can also play messages over an audio player.
  2. You can SmartThings own SHM solution, it has a nice nice UI and can do most of what you need with the exception of entry, exit delays and you can cannot have separate actions or rules for different modes. It can turn off the alarm and not other things using the UI like you mentioned. You can supplement SHM with SHM Delay which provides a way to use it with keypads and adds an extry and exit delay. A little bit of reconfiguring required for this setup but it has lots of documentation to walk you through it. SHM can send you a SMS to a single number, push notifications and play messages on an audio player (like Sonos or Bose). The new ST app has a different version of SHM from the Classic app. It’s advisable to use the Classic app since it has more features and SHM Delay works with the Classic SHM.
  3. You can use a Intruder Alert with Actions. It does not have the fancy UI freedom as ADT and SHM and is designed as a SmartApp, install it, configure it and forget about it. But it can do what you’re looking for including Extry and Exit delays, it doesn’t turn off other devices when the alarm is turned off (it has a neat feature to turn off all alarms when a single alarm is turned off, like a cascade). It also allows you to create separate actions and notifications including SMS to multiple numbers, Push Notifications and announcing over a Text to Speech (TTS) device like Amazon Echo. You can pair this with another app like Lock User Managment (LUM) to create users and use Keypads to arm/disarm or change your hub modes.
  4. You can use ADT Tools as outlined above by Mavrrick which is also very popular solution for ADT integration.

For all but the ADT solution a UPS is recommended for your hub and internet modem/router to ensure that you have connectivity with the ST cloud since all other solutions run in the ST cloud and it’s a good practice anyway so that an electricity outage doesn’t leave your house Automations ms security disconnected. Lights may not work but your security and automation should work. Some folks also like to add the WiFi router to the UPS if you have WiFi devices and leads to a more satisfied experience when using SmartThings.

Nice! Have you checked out the ZigBee and Z-Wave tilt sensors? NYCE as a tilt sensor, SmartThings used to have their own tilt sensor and vibration/acceleration sensors and you can still find a few Monoprice Z-Wave Garage Door tilt sensors on eBay. I don’t think they’ll work with ADT for the security setup but you can use them in your automations.

Okay, so it seems my understanding is coming in line at least with what you folks are saying. So I am good to go I think…

Once the card comes in from Lowes, I start ordering my replacements.

I am a firm believer in redundancy. UPSes are already in place. As well as a proper generator for my home (I live in a Hurricane zone).

FWIW, a CyberPower 1000va UPS provides failover power for my network backbone. (main router and switches) 600va for secondary router / access point and at present Iris hub… If power goes down, my network stays up, for a time, until those wind down, more than 30 minutes power outage, the generator auto switches on to carry the network, fridge, freezer, and one AC zone (master suite).

1 Like

I’m interested in insuring I am monitored using ADT in the long run, so unless it is ADT compliant, it shouldn’t be protecting my points of entry…

2 Likes