[RELEASE] Security System: Intruder Alert with Actions

It looks like you don’t have any alarm devices paired with your hub so you can’t select any. Once you have it the option will show up.

I think you’re trying to use the SONOS an alarm device instead. The SONOS is designed to be used as a TTS (Text To Speech) devices. SmartThings don’t have a reliable way to loop a message on a TTS device so it’s used an announcing device. In your case, it will announce your custom message once and then stop. It’s better to use a dedicated alarm for this. There are excellent one available from Utilitech and you can also visit @TheSmartestHouse website for some great Z-Wave Alarms. Alternatively if you have a IRIS v3 keypad, that also has a built in Alarm but it’s better suited for a local zone alarm rather than a whole house alarm.

1 Like

Yes you are right I have no internal or external alarm.
I want to play an alarm sound through all the sonos speakers as they are all over the house. and I can also send a text to speech as part of that.
Is there no way to use SONOS as the main alarm ?

Also what does your system switch to mode wise, when an intruder is detected ?
I have the hub in AWAY mode when Armed but does some state swith to INTRUSION or something ?

Then u could use ifttt to play sounds through the sonos when inteuder detected. Im xreating a 10 minutes mp3 fike of alarm sounds interspersed woth speech of intruder detected
police have been contacted.

If the app changes the mode then it will disarm itself which is a security risk. Only the user should be able to disarm the system. The app will take actions (turn on switches/lights, take camera pictures, trigger alarms) when an intruder is detected and continue to monitor the house until it’s disarmed. This is important since many users simply reset the alarm on a false alarm (e.g. pet or faulty sensor) and have the app continue to monitor all the sensors for future events. We could consider adding execution of a Routine to the list of action for more flexibility but please be aware that changing modes automatically could be a potential security risk.

If you would like to disarm the system, you can create a Routine, say ‘Disarm’, which will change the mode to another mode (e.g. Home) and you can execute it when you wish to disarm the system after you receive an intruder notification, or you can simply just turn off the Alarm and let the system continue monitoring the house without disarming it.

As for the SONOS, unfortunately the way it’s setup in SmartThings, it would be best served as an announcing devices rather than an alarm.

Hi Maddie,
Ok one more question. I can write an ifttt routine to play an mp3 through my sonos. I just need something to trigger it. Does tour intrusion sw set a flag or sonething some state that i can use to trigger the ifttt routine?

Yes Todd, you can use “Turn light on” action to use as a trigger which can be connect to your IFTTT rule. We have an update coming out soon which will add the option to run a Routine , you could use that to trigger an IFTTT rule also.

Intruder Alert with Alarms, Lights and Camera Pictures - Version 03.05.00

• Updated user interface
  • Add option to run a Routine for Intruder Alert actions
  • Entry delay now applies to all Intruder actions
  • Ability to not set any modes/operating schedule, allowing for 24x7 monitoring (e.g. monitoring for Thief Alerts where tamper alerts are sent by devices)

© RBoy Apps

Maddie,
I have the system all working , including an IFTTT routine that plays siren and text to speec through my sonos’s .
However, when I use the Entry delay , here is what happens when I test the system.

1. arm system
  2. walk in house , front hall motion detector gets trigered and I get notification system triggered waiting 62 seconds. (my delay time)
  3. 62 seconds later sirens go off , alarm working great. I keep moving around the house and trigger ANOTHER motion detector.
  4. whole siren stops, and system resets again for 62 seconds, then alarm goes off again.
  5. I move upstairs and trigger another sensor, alarm STOPS again, for 62 seconds.
    This is not my desired behaviour.
    thoughts ?

Sounds like it’s working as expected.

Unless you disarm the system by changing the mode to a mode different from the list of Operating Modes configured in the app it will keep retriggering every time it detects an Intruder, which is what it should do when it’s in armed state.

You can setup a keypad in your house to disarm/change modes or use the LUM app to change modes when a valid code is entered in the lock.

Once the Alarm is triggered, I expect it to stay alarmed, with siren going, not to RESET and turn off for the entry delay with each new detection. If an intruder break in and set off one , say door sensor, and the alarm goes ON it should stay on until it is reset by the user NOT every time the intruder moves around the house setting off motion detectors etc. As they continue to rob me. Every room they enter will disable the Siren each time, .
What I want to happen is when ANY sensor detects an intruder the Siren goes ON and stays on no matter how many other sensors continue to detect the intruder.
This is how my ADT system worked and it seems quite logical.
How can I do that ? Seems like the app needs a mode like that.
If I disable the entry delay will that help ?

EDIT: From your logs and video it looks like its an issue with the siren/DTH. You’re using the Vision siren which resets itself after 30/60 seconds. So whenever you walk past a sensor it triggers the Siren which resets itself with a delay before turning on.

Try a different Siren like a Utilitech or Everspring which doesn’t turn itself off by itself/doesn’t have a delay turn on.

Can I install this smartapp twice using a different name to have two separate zones?

Yes, you can install it as many times as you like, just double the settings to ensure they conflict with each others setup.

Good Afternoon! I installed a SmartThings button and the intruder alert. When I press the button, it tells me potential intruder, but the alarm does not go off.

On the smartapps, when I select intruder alert…then I select intrusion actions…on the turn on alarm(s) it says there are no devices of this capability

Hi, I responded to your email. I believe you’re trying to use the ADT built in alarm. SmartThings does not allow external triggering of the built in Siren in the ADT label. You’ll need a separate Z-Wave or ZigBee Siren paired to your SmartThings hub which will then show up for use in the SmartApp.

Hi ,
Testing the features of your great intrusion app.
Several questions :

1. Is there an option to beep or send some voice prompt at some interval before system get armed and ?
    for example I set exit delay to 2 minutes and I want every 20 seconds the get a status of how much time left before system armed (using notification or echo device )
    The same for entry delay
  2. Is there an option to set type of siren for example
    When I set armed stay (Night mode) I want the siren to be some kind of chime (I have necoolcam siren)
    while armed away I want the primary siren to be activated .
  3. When I sleep my phone is on vibrate mode which SMS and push notification will probably not wake me up. Can you add a call option ? (probably not but what is the best practice here )
  4. I don’t have the option to flash lights . why is that ? does it support only specific bulbs ?

Again
Thanks for your apps

1 Like

Hi,

1. Enable detailed notifications from the Notifications page and select an audio device like Alexa (Echo Speaks) or Sonos and it will announce that information
  2. You can setup new instances of Intruder Alert for each mode (Night and Away) and then select different sirens for each mode
  3. ST doesn’t support calling at this time, you can use SMS, Push and Audio/speaker notifications
  4. We removed the option for flashing lights because of delays in the z-wave/zigbee mesh made the flashing unreliable

Thanks
For 1 I mean that it will announce every some interval how much time left before system going to be armed.
For example when I set delay of 2 minutes before arming it will announce on 30, 60,90

Thank you all for your feedback.

Intruder Alert with Alarms, Lights and Camera Pictures - Version 03.06.00

• Allow for entry/exit delay countdown timers (when detailed notifications are enabled)
  • Don’t reset entry delay countdown if multiple sensors are triggered

© RBoy Apps

This is great.
How do I update?
I checked the auto update option.

Can you explain the “Optional resident sensors to temporarily disarm the system” option?
I don’t understand what this means, and can’t find documentation or an answer anywhere.