GE Zwave Dual Control Dimmer 28175

Has anyone been able to get independent controls to work on a GE 28175?

(GE Z-Wave Plus Wireless Smart Lighting Control Lamp Module, Dimmer, Plug-In, 2 Independently Controlled Outlets with 2 Always-on USB Charging Ports (3.4A Shared), Works with Amazon Alexa, 28175)

It should be possible, but I think someone would need to write a custom device handler to expose both outlets for independent control. Not sure if anybody has yet.

The endpoints should be exposed to ST. Then use this app to create the virtual switches and keep them in sync.

It would be much better to use a Composite Device Handler design, which is a Parent / Child set of Device Handlers. This eliminates any SmartApp in the solution and follows the preferred ST Architecture for Device Handlers.

Take a look at how ST added support for this multi-outlet power strip.

2 Likes

I remember trying this method out. In particular with the Zooz Zen20. I ended up loosing functionality vs gaining.

I believe that you stated then that there just needed to be some modifications in the code to allow the master switch and the 5 sub switches to all read as separate devices in the ST app.

Either way, I have a total of 6 power strips and I use the linked app for all of them and it works pretty darn good. But you are right, we should all try to simplify things as much as possible.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the best way to start learning about working with device handlers?

To get a general idea of how they are used:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Using_Custom_Code

To get information on how to create them:

http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/

Had anyone made progress on a composite device for this?

Eric,
I tried using your Dual Relay Switch to control the GE 28175 Plug-in Dual Dimmer Switch, but when I try to add the virtual devices it is telling me:
ā€œDevice Handler: Dimmer Switch Detected
Number of Endpoints: 0 Recommended Type: Dimmerā€

Is there a different Device Handler that can be plugged in with your SmartApp to control this device?

Hmmm, no one has made a composite device handler yet?

My SmartApp was written before child / parent handlers were a thing. It will only work if the device handler you are using is written a certain way.

1 Like

Iā€™m newer to the development community. Iā€™m normally a python programmer as well, so most of this stuff is foreign to me. But I took a wack at it. It is a work in progress:

Current Features:
Child devices with working separate control.
Main control dimmer affects both children.
Main control on/off will turn on/off both children.

Current Issues:
On/Off status of main control and child controls is rather slow.
Dimmer settings for each individual outlet are not functional.

The code can be found here: https://github.com/sudoursa/device_handlers

You will need to import from code both the main handler and the child channel handler to your ā€˜My Device Handlersā€™ section. Iā€™ll be working on it as time permits. Any feedback or assistance would be fantastic.

3 Likes

Hi Thomas, were you ever able to get this device handler fully working? Thanks!

Yeah, I got some help from a guy named Todd to iron out the kinks. You can find the files here:

upload the two files that start with ā€œzwave-ā€ to your device handlers and then pair the device or change the type in the IDE. Should work.

Okay, I changed the physical device to Z-Wave Ge Dual Dimmer, and I then saw 2 child devices, with (CH1) and (CH2) appended to the end (which were type " Z-Wave Ge Dual Dimmer Outlet"). I did not see those devices show up as controllable devices on the SmartThings GUI, although Alexa did see them when I ran discovery.

If thereā€™s a way to see/control these in the SmartThings GUI as well, please let me know.

So the DH by @Thomas_Slaymaker no longer syncs the child devices to my echo after the required re-linking of ST to Alexa. The parent syncs instead, and the lamps are no longer able to be individually controlled by Alexa or by ST. Is a modification going to be needed to the DH in order for this to work properly again? Looking for developers to have a look and provide opinions if possible. It appears Thomas is no longer active in the community. I sent him a DM, and no reply.

I have included screenshots of the device configuration page in the old and new app. As you can see, the outlets are independently controlled in the old, with 2 different dimming settings. The new doesnā€™t have this.

Iā€™ve done some VB Development, but never Device handlers/ST development. Iā€™m willing to learn, but it sounds like Groovy is going away and will be replaced by something else for which no details have been provided.

Thanks in advance!