GE Smart Dimmer ZW3106 (plugin adapter): independently control two sockets?

Hi all, I am new to this forum so forgive me I overlook something obvious… I am trying to setup a GE Smart Dimmer with two independently controlled outlets. I’ve searched all over the canned device handlers and custom ones available and I can’t seem to find a dimmer equivalent to the “Z-Wave Dual Switch”. That device handler allows for control of two outlets independantly, but I haven’t found or been able to modify that handler to function as a dimmer.

Please help! The device I am attempting to do this with is a “GE Plug-in Smart Dimmer” model ZW3106.
Based on the device setup it would be this fingerprint…
mfr: “0063”, prod:“5044”, model: “3132”

Once upon a time, people had this device working with smartthings, but they were using the parent/child paradigm that worked with the classic app and does not work with the current V3 app. :disappointed_relieved:

Which probably means the entire thing has to be written to match the new platform.

If you’d like to talk to some of the people who had it working before, see the following thread:

GE Zwave Dual Control Dimmer 28175

Note that this device has two different model numbers, which is typical for the ones built by Jasco. It is Jasco ZW3106, but GE 28175. You may need to search under both model numbers.

Well that really stinks. I was hoping the parent/child setup was still a viable setup since the GE 28177 seems to be “working” with the existing handler that follows that paradigm (device added through new app).

Are there examples of device handlers on the new platform with similar functionality? I can look at recoding a new handler if needed, but the online IDE leaves a lot to be desired in terms of coding functionality. Is there a better IDE that people are using?

A lot about the platform is changing. You can talk to people about that in the following section of the forum:

There are sections there on writing DTHs and for getting support.

However, they haven’t finished the new methods for “hub connected“ devices, which includes Z wave devices. Go ahead and ask questions in the “writing DTH’s“ subcategory there, just be aware that people will probably direct you back over to this part of the forum. There’s just a lot in flux right now.

Oh, and just so you don’t get confused the way I did at first, “direct connected“ devices on the new platform refers to Wi-Fi devices which connect to the SmartThings cloud without going through their own cloud first.

I can’t help with code because I rely on text to speech these days, but there are lots of people who can.

Again, I would start with the thread on the older DTH and just ask there if anybody has the device working with the new app.

1 Like

I had this working under the legacy device handlers with virtual devices for each lamp that could be dimmed independently. I’m still waiting for GE/Jasco or Samsung or perhaps a community member to write edge drivers for this. Anyone interested?

Hard to believe that GE/Jasco would introduce a product and then pretty much leave it to others to support with no driver support from the manufacturer. I’m going to avoid their products in the future, largely based on this experience. I have a lot of GE/Jasco switches, lamp dimmers and outlets, but a couple switches have died on me, and their lack of support for this product is pretty unforgivable. I’ve had good luck with Zooz edge drivers and I’m sure there are other manufacturers who care more about their customers.

I’m sure that’s very frustrating. :disappointed_relieved:

It’s not a GE/Jasco issue. Their devices are certified to the independent third party zwave standard and work fine with most certified zwave hubs.

From the beginning, SmartThings has added its own unique architecture over the top of that, first device type handlers (DTHs), then Edge Drivers.

Many manufacturers, not unreasonably, feel that since they have already invested time and money into getting certified, if a platform has additional unique requirements, it should be up to that company to meet those.

Unfortunately, SmartThings doesn’t see it that way. So there are sometimes feature gaps. The community often steps in and provides code that exposes more features. It is what it is. :man_shrugging:t2:

To find community-created edge drivers, check the quick browse lists in the community-created wiki. In this case, check the list for pocket sockets/smartplugs.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Quick_Browse_Lists_for_Edge_Drivers

@philh30 does have a custom edge driver for GE devices that does include that model, but I don’t know if it gives independent control of the two sockets. You can ask in his author thread (which is the link you will find on the quick browse list) if you want to know before you try it. If you want to jump straight to his thread, here’s that link:

[ST Edge] Driver for GE/Jasco/Honeywell Z-Wave Switches, Dimmers, Fans, Outlets, and Plug-Ins

For the future, sometimes the smaller companies are more willing to put in the extra effort to keep up with SmartThings’ idiosyncrasies. Historically, as you noted, the Zooz brand from TheSmartestHouse has done a good job of this. However, there’s no guarantee that they or any company will continue to do so in the future—SmartThings has added extra cost and complexity to the integration process, and most companies are looking to go in the opposite direction. FWIW.

1 Like

Thanks JDRoberts. You’ve always been a very active participant here, and provided help to a lot of people. Sorry it’s taken me this long to read your reply. I’m not very regular here.

1 Like