FAQ: Common issues encountered migrating from a SmartThings to Samsung account (or: "Help! My hub/devices have disappeared!")

tagging @Brad_ST to see if he can offer you any advice

1 Like

Got an email late last night after Iā€™d started moving things from Samsung Support in response to my Thursday email:

Thanks for reaching out.

I believe I see the issue you are running into but will need to get a couple additional eyes on it from some other members of the team. Please hold tight for us and donā€™t start setting anything back up yet, I want to see if we can get everything up and running as easily as possible for you.

Thanks for your patience and if you have any questions in the meantime donā€™t hesitate to let me know.

Iā€™ll update if they find a solution. Unfortunately, to get stuff working, Iā€™d already spent a couple of hours updating the new location.

1 Like

Forgot to update, but after a couple of days, the email support team was able to restore a lot of my setup. Still had to put stuff in rooms again, and lost some devices. But it was much more manageable.

Amazon Echo was a pain to get set back up because it wouldnā€™t discover the devices that moved back to the location with all th automations. Had to disconnect SmartThings and reconnect/discover several times to finally get it to work.

On the other hand, Google Home was simple to get the devices back into a controllable state.

3 Likes

So I think I screwed up by migrating 2 hubs to the same Samsung account. I called support but was offered very little help.

My first hub is at my parents house and I refrained from migrating that account to my Samsung account because I was afraid it would screw everything up and I think I may have done just that. Recently I had to go into their hub using my old Smartthings account to make a few changes and do some general maintenance and was eventually ā€œforcedā€ to migrate their hub to the new app so I could get rid of that giant message that covers half the screen, preventing me from being able to easily find devices and such. I already migrated my hub months ago to my Samsung account so I figured Iā€™d use the same account for their hub and if it caused issues I assumed I would be able to later open a new Samsung account and link their hub to that. Now I feel stupid for thinking that because I donā€™t think there is a way to actually do that.

Since Iā€™ve done this I keep running into issues I didnā€™t have before. Now if I want to install an app onto my parentsā€™ hub I have to actually log into Smartthings classic app using my old Smartthings account otherwise I just do not see the apps at all. This is fine for now but what happens when Samsung decides to no longer allow us to use our old accounts to log in to the app? I assume at that point Iā€™m screwed?

Another odd issue I have only effects my phone presence sensor and nobody elseā€™s. Multiple times a day I will have to rename my presence sensor because it automatically keeps changing to ā€œJeremy (lastnameā€™s) Jeremyā€™s Galaxy Note 9ā€ on both hubs. Itā€™s truly annoying having to keep changing it and I would just deal with it except that very occasionally (once or twice a week) my presence will also duplicate in both hubs rendering the previous one useless and forcing me to go into each hub to update the automatons and pistons to the new presence sensor. I do not know for sure if these issues are related in any way but it does seem they are.

There are a few other minor issues which arenā€™t that important yet but if they ever decide to make the classic app unusable then these issues will be unavoidable for me. I will not talk about that now because I donā€™t want to make this post longer than it already is.

I have spent many many hours setting everything up for the past 3 years on my parentsā€™ hub (even more time spent on my own hub) to have it exactly the way they want it so I really want to avoid having to reset either hub. I am just too busy now to spend that much time doing it all over again so if anybody using multiple hubs has any idea what I can do to fix this I would really appreciate it.

Have you contacted customer support and if so, do you have a support ticket # you can share?

I do have a support ticket but that is for some smartapps that can not be deleted from IDE (19060800467).

When I brought up the other issues I mentioned above I was just told to basically wait for Smartthings to eventually sort out the issues over time.

Ok , thanks,.right now on both apps i have a hub attached to each location. I thought about leaving the v2 hu disconnected until I migrate the devices to the new v3 hub.then deleting the.other location. Is that possible? Just double checking

yes. you can have two locations with a hub each. Technically you can have one location with two hub, too.

1 Like

Good to know on the new app the linear z wave bulbs arenā€™t pairing, I tried the other brand category but no luck. Amy thoughts on where it might fall into?

did you exclude them?

Tried once to no luck. Arenā€™t they made by Gocontrol?

z-wave devices need to be excluded in order to remove the pairing to the old hub before you can pair them to a new hub

I am having similar issues. I attempted to upgrade to the Samsung app. When I got to the verify email step, the email was incorrect. (one letter wrong). If I corrected the email then I received a ā€œemail already takenā€ error.

I contacted SmartThings support. They told me my account had already been upgraded. Ok great! I log into the new app and none of my devices or hub are there. To make a long story shorter - they first told me I would have to add everything myself. I told them that wasnā€™t acceptable. They came back asking for more information. They obviously donā€™t believe me, or want me to go away, because Iā€™ve sent a dozen screenshots and a video of me logging in (which they claim they canā€™t download from google drive). They claim the devices are there, and are under the right email.

If I login to account.smartthings.com/login with my smarthings account, I see all devices and hubs. I only have one homee location.

If I log in with my samsung account, I see no hub, no devices. I have one home location.

Any thoughts?

You are logging in @ https://account.smartthings.com with your SmartThings account or Samsung account?

When I go to account.smartthings.com/login there is a button for SmartThings account and a button for Samsung account.

If I click SmartThings account, and login, I see all devices and hubs. I only have one home location.

If I click Samsung account, and login, I see no hub, no devices. I have one home location.

It sounds like your SmartThings account has not been migrated to a Samsung account so you would not be able to see your hub/devices until that occurs. As frustrating as it may be, I believe you are going to need to contact ST support again to see if they are able to assistance with the migration.

tagging @Brad_ST who is going to hate me for repeated tags tonight

Maybe Iā€™ll start a new email with them - might get a different agent. This one seems to dismiss the fact that the email in the upgrade process was wrongā€¦ Iā€™m not sure where the email came from, if I somehow typoed it at some pointā€¦

hang in there and good luck. I wish I could offer more assistance. Let us know gow it turns out in case another user encounters the same issue

1 Like

I DMā€™d Lori and weā€™ll get it sorted. Thanks for looping me in.

1 Like

Brad helped me! Thank you jkp.

The key was getting rid of any login info for Samsung before upgrading the account:

ā€¦you should be able to sign into the Classic app with your SmartThings account and then run through the account update. Where you might get stuck is if you are already signed in with your Samsung account. You should be able to sign out of that but if after signing out, your phone still acts like youā€™re signed in, you will want to clear Safariā€™s web history.

To do that, you would navigate to iOS Settings on your phone, scroll down until you see and tap on Safari, then scroll down again until you see ā€œClear History and Website Dataā€. That should fully sign you out of your Samsung account.

2 Likes