Automatically arm smart home monitor

Probably region. I’m on V3 and can still access SHM in Classic. But I also had a V2 hub on my account at one time. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

It seems I made some progress but I didn’t test because I am not able to satisfy the condition “everyone leaves” because here is 3am and my wife is sleeping and I don’t want her procceding “smart divorce”.

What I made:

• Under the Apps menu on Android, I cleaned cache and data on the Classic app;
  • I got in New app and deleted SM on automations;
  • I got in Classic app, logged in again (because all data was wiped) and find the only way to add Smart Monitor through the Classic app - at least here, in my system): there is a banner on bottom of Dashboard screen. That is where I got to add Smart Monitor using Classic app.

Thank you, JKP.

1 Like

you have the option of choosing which presence sensors to use in that section. You can create different routines for different circumstances,

I was hoping Samsung would have fixed this by now. So the weird thing that I found is that you can schedule the arm/disarm on a time schedule though. I guess if you know that you typically leave home at 8am and get back at 6pm then it’s ok. Buy it would be way better to have it change statistics on your physical location

I was also expecting to see this fixed by now however I’m starting to think it’s gone on purpose. For liability reasons they don’t want the home not arming itself due to poor communication with your phone. Then you blaming them for not letting you know when someone accesses your home.

So I dont actually use presence sensors to disarm/arm. Ive always set a time of day…I have it set on the new app, and thats fine… BUt I cant seem to find out how to turn it off on the old app. Just disable it all together?? I dont want to kill the old app just yet… I will kill the automation sequence in webcore which should never arm it… but just wondering if there is a way within the old app to just kill the smart home monitor piece.
thanks

SHM are separate applications within each app. If you no longer want to use SHM in the classic app you would need to disable it.

If you delete all the rules associated with it it will go away.

1 Like

i went back to classic app… new app is nice for paging through all my things, but awful at everything else :slight_smile:

I use the “I’m back” automation to disarm SHM when anyone in my Family Arrives at home. I also arm the SHM when “everyone leaves” as part of a “Goodbye!” routine. I’m currently doing presence seniors for my family using the Life360 app (and associated integration with ST). Has anyone done this using Nest’s detection that everyone has left? I.e. when nest automatically switches to AWAY mode automatically arm SHM.

There is now a community FAQ on this. Short answer is that smart things has changed their design philosophy for security devices, and they no longer allow automations to arm/disarm or to unlock smart locks. :disappointed_relieved: They want you to open the app and toggle it there.

You can still use the classic app, but since they have told us that that one will be going away eventually, it’s not a long-term solution. :disappointed_relieved:

I had Nest Home/Away enabled a couple of years ago when I first installed NST Manager but found it to be the least reliable option for presence. So I turned it off rather quickly.

Also, I doubt Nest Home/Away will continue to be offered past Aug. 31, 2019 when the Nest API is discontinued. Google has stated that particular info will be restricted.

1 Like

You can now arm or disarm the home monitor using the new automation section in the latest version of Samsung connect app.

1 Like

Idk for me it is not working with Automatically Arm or Disarm the SHM in the Samsung Connect App -_-

My setup in automations is very simple.
IF

Both my wife’s phone and my iPhone are away.

THEN

Change security mode

Armed away

Seems to work every time assuming both phones properly show that they are away. The last part is the only iffy part. Same thing could be accomplished in the classic app using routines.

Which part of the automation doesn’t seem to be working for you? Catcher
Paul Faulstich

Yeah have the same rule.

In the classic app its working fine but the state of the Home Monitor to away or home is not changing

iOS or Android? Click on the three bars in the upper left of your screen, go to settings (the cog) and see if the location services is showing on or off?

Just to make sure everybody’s talking about the same thing…

The feature in the classic app is SHM, Smart Home Monitor.

The feature in the new V3 app is STHM, SmartThings Home Monitor.

These are two completely separate pieces of code.

Security mode set or changed (or an alert dismissed) in an automation created in the classic app will only affect SHM. .

Security mode set or changed (or an alert dismissed) in an automation created in the new V3 app will only affect STHM.

So if you have rules you created in the classic app, you will never see those change the security state in the new V3 app. You have to recreate the rule using the new V3 app to see security mode changes in the V3 app.

You probably already knew that, but just in case…

1 Like

Here are my routines which I have created and more or less its working (except 1 for which have a separate thread)
Usage: The Automation option in the NEW V3 app is STHM, SmartThings Home Monitor. All older rules were discontinued prior to introducing these from the other suite - SHM.

I’m Back ! (Default)
IF LOC = Away AND Anyone of the users present THEN Set Loc = Home Set STHM = Disarmed Notify

I’m Back (Automated)
IF Motion Sensor #1 = No Motion for an Hr AND If Motion Sensor #2 = No Motion for an Hr. ................... ## List all your motion sensors here AND Location = Home AND anyone present THEN Set STHM = Armed (Stay) Notify / etc.

Goodbye
IF No one is present for 10 min THEN Set STHM = Armed (Away) Set Location Mode = Away Notify

Good Night (Default)
IF At 23:00 hrs AND Loc = Home AND Anyone is present THEN Set Location = Night Set STHM = Armed (Stay) Notify

Good Night (Automated)
Between 7 pm to 22:59 pm (doing it once) AND Motion Sensor 1 = no movement for an hr AND Motion Sensor 2 = no movement for an hr, etc., etc. AND Loc = Home AND Anyone is home THEN Set Location = Night Notify Set STHM = Armed (Stay)

Good Morning (Default)
IF 30 Min before Sunrise AND Loc = Night AND Anyone is present THEN Set STHM = Disarmed Set Location = Home Notify

Child Came home ## when parents are away
IF LOC = Away AND Child comes home THEN NOTIFY ## Parents
Here - the bigger I’M BACK will also kick in and change modes/Locations/etc. Thus no need.

NOTE: Very important to know the LOCATION setting
NOTE: Very complex to set automated good morning since the current automation suite allows all AND conditions or ALL OR conditions. This means if multiple motion sensors they ALL need to trigger motion to move from NIGHT to HOME and Armed (Stay) to Disarmed mode. Its not practical.

How are you able to use Location on both sides of the THEN?

You aren’t. For some reason they restrict using a device/mode/STHM as both a condition and action :rage:

1 Like