New App (NOT CLASSIC) Smart Home Monitor NOT integrating with IDE

I have used the SmartThings classic app for the last few years. VERY FUNCTIONAL!!, although more buggy and clunky. I use webCoRE/ ifttt regularly. After the latest update of the new SmartThings app (formerly ‘Connect’), I thought I would give it a try and was quite impressed with the new automations, aesthetic appearance, and functionality.

However, in the new app, when using Smart Home Monitor (SHM), when I switch security settings manually (and inconsistently from automations), these changes don’t seem to be reflected on the SmartThings IDE (ie when I disarm/arm away/arm stay in the New Smartthings App, IDE “Alarm System Status” doesn’t change which makes all other ifttt and webCoRE automations useless). This does not occur in the Classic app.

This is a MASSIVE DETERRENT AWAY FROM THE NEW APP…and until this is fixed, I will stick with the Classic rolled back 2.17… as 2.18.1 has its issues as well.

Anyone that could help would be SO MUCH APPRECIATED!

1 Like

Did the ide ever show SHM armed state? I only saw location mode. Armed state and mode are two separate things. Either way, new app SHM can’t be used with webCoRE or other groovy smart apps.

The IDE is not supported by the new app and SHM is not Connected to the new Smarthings Home Monitor either. They are 100% independent.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I just don’t understand why this all needs to be SO COMPLICATED when considering V3 vs V2. I enjoy the aesthetics of the new app, but hate the lack of integration into IDE (…sigh…)

Has nothing to do with V2 vs V3 hub. It’s Smartthings Classic vs. SmartThings (Samsung Connect).

1 Like

Sorry for my ignorance…I meant classic vs new. :wink:

No worries.

The issue is the transformation to the new Samsung SmartThings entity in whole. The process has not been user friendly. V2 hub/v3 hub vs V2 App (Classic) and V3/STSC/new apps operaring at the same time all while having V2 V3 and yes V1 hubs. It has been very confusing for new users and old ST adoptees. Information given to “legacy” users about the path forward has not been forthcoming by Samsung, large bursts of snippets of information at annual SDCs (Smart Things Developers Conferences) excluded. Every thing has been reactionary for the most part., this includes the switch from Smart Home Monitor (SHM) to SmartThings Home Monitor (STHM). The “legacy” users know the IDE is groovy based and the path forward is different. The writing is on the wall - set in stone. Most of us are fine with change, as long as we know how to adapt. With being told that 2.18 is the last update to the classic app, it is sort of the comet hitting the Earth/end of the world… the proverbial ripping off the bandaid would have been less painful…after all we are all living in a world with no backup to our current ST life. In the end we will all evolve into birds or end up as oil. I just wish the metamorphosis was more smoother. Just my 2-cents.

4 Likes

This forum is massive for a SmartThings beginner. I don’t feel like running the old app as it is on it’s way out…no point. Searching the forum and finding posts from 2017 and older…is it relevant, sometimes perhaps, I can’t tell. Started off with devices without official support, Philio 3in1, Heiman smoke detectors and managed to get them to work with custom DH. But turns out there’s a lot of DH script that don’t matter anymore. Ended up with devices without batteries that says 99% battery, and Philos battery got 255%, won’t ever have to change that one… And Smartapps, are they supposed to work in new app? Is it worth bothering with webcore or is that soon unsupported? And Actionstiles, is that relevant from now on? Almost wish a parallell forum was created as it’s really difficult to find relevant information.

1 Like

@Stiffboard Most SmartApps still “work” in the new app. You can still create webcore pistons (but webcore will eventually need to be recreated), you can still use actiontiles (though you won’t get use of SHM or routines on your panels seeing as the new app uses STHM and automations/scenes) and others all still work just fine. Once all of the documentation for the new system is released, a vast majority of these SmartApps will be rewritten to be fully compatible. The issue right now is that people are tired of guessing, trial and error and making tweaks, just for it to break when there’s an update on the back end. But from someone that has essentially switched completely over to the new app from classic, used to use a ton of webcore, still uses actiontiles even though I’m now using STHM, the new app is definitely worth getting on board with now. The rest will come in time. And until then, myself and others still have classic for those few things we can’t do in the new app.

1 Like

it sucks but you can work around it easily . You can create in new app new location modes called armed, unarmed etc and sync them directly in new app with your home monitor status
then in webcore simple use this location modes as replacement for home monitor to control it

i’d personally use virtual switches before location modes. Location modes are a very broad setting.

Hi. An example of using virtual switches would be helpful. And how do they sync w STHM status? Thanks. JK

just create a virtual switch in samsung IDE , make an automation in smartthings app that when switch is turned on then arm system or for off disarm system.
From here use that switch in webcore or whatever.

1 Like

Did anyone get this working? I switched hubs and lost SHM in Classic so Ive been forced to use the new app. I’ve created a virtual switch in the IDE but it doesnt show up in the new app to be able to map it to STHM. The funkiest thing is if I open webcore via the new app its in the list of actuators and now made available to webcore which is of zero use. Need a workaround please.

The new appening is upon us. These are the steps I took to migrate my SHM controlling webcore pistons from the classic app to the new app.

Prepare virtual switches for use by webcore pistons:

1. Open the new app and navigate to Menu > SmartApps
  2. Tap on the Virtual Device Creator if you’ve previously installed it
  3. If you do not have Virtual Device Creator, use the classic app to add it via Marketplace > SmartApp > + More (it is currently unclear how this may be possible when the Classic app expires)
  4. Create new Virtual Switches for Armed (away), Armed (stay), and Disarmed
  5. Navigate to Menu > Automations and click + to add a new automation
  6. If (Device status > “Disarmed” virtual switch) and (Condition = “On”)
  7. Then (Change the Security mode > Disarmed) to actually change the mode
  8. Make sure to also turn off the virtual switch that is not the target (Disarmed on / Away off / Stay off – Away on / Stay off / Disarmed off – Stay on / Away off / Disarmed off)
  9. Then (Control devices > Armed (away), Armed (stay)) to reset their potentially On state to Off
  10. Tap the new actions to change the Armed (away) and Armed (stay) virtual switches off
  11. Tap Done and give it a name like “Disarmed”
  12. Repeat steps 5 through 8 for “Armed (away)” and “Armed (stay)” to turn on and off the appropriate switches (see #8). Alternatively, setup a piston that sets these virtual switch states appropriately.

Modify existing pistons in webcore that attempt to set the Smart Home Monitor status:

1. First make sure that you’ve allowed webcore access to these new virtual switches at Menu > SmartApps > webcore > Settings > Available devices
  2. Navigate to the webcore dashboard, locate an affected piston, and Edit it
  3. Locate statements like with::Location and tasks like “do Set Smart Home Monitor status to off”
  4. Add a new statement since we need to control a virtual switch and cannot modify this task’s statement assuming it is “With… Location”
  5. Add an action and select Physical Devices > Disarmed then click Add a task
  6. With… Disarmed > Do… device::Turn on and click Add
  7. Optionally enable “allow moving” of items and drag previous tasks in to your new statement (logs, variable changes, etc) and put this statement where your previous statement was
  8. Click the “with” of your previous statement and delete it
  9. Repeat steps 5 through 9 for anywhere that you want to control your home’s monitor status

Modify existing pistons in webcore that attempt to react to Smart Home Monitor changes:

1. Navigate to the webcore dashboard, locate an affected piston, and Edit it
  2. Locate conditions like “if (Smart Home Monitor status changes)” and click to edit the condition
  3. Change what to compare from “Virtual device” to "Physical device(s)"
  4. Select the desired or all newly created virtual switches that control status changes via automations
  5. Make sure to select the “switch” state on the newly selected devices (far right drop down) and Save
2 Likes

Hi @kevireilly great post and thanks to this post, I have been able to get the New Virtual Switches to work and arm, disarm the Smart Home Monitor Status. Am struggling with syncing the new Virtual Switches with the Arm and Disarm functions if they are activated/disarmed using the Smart Home Monitor instead of the Virtual Switches as they are then no longer in SYNC. Can you provide any assistance with the Code on this?

Thanks Again

Automations to create to sync STHM with virtual switches:

If STHM Armed (Away), Turn On Armed Away (Switch), Turn Off Armed Stay (Switch), Turn Off Disarmed (Switch)
If STHM Armed (Stay), Turn On Armed Stay (Switch), Turn Off Armed Away (Switch), Turn Off Disarmed (Switch)
If STHM Disarmed, Turn On Disarmed (Switch), Turn Off Armed Away (Switch), Turn Off Armed Stay (Switch)
If Armed Away (Switch) turns on, Set STHM to Armed (Away)
If Armed Stay (Switch) turns on, Set STHM to Armed (Stay)
If Disarmed (Switch) turns on, Set STHM to Disarmed

BTW, the way I personally have mine set up is to have my WebCoRe pistons react based on location Mode. Also, the location mode is what sets the STHM status.
For example:
If Location Mode Away, Set STHM to Armed (Away)
If Location Mode Bedtime or Sleep, Set STHM to Armed (Stay)
If Location Mode Home or Party, Set STHM to Disarmed

I think using virtual switches and location mode are both valid and useful ways to handle this. It just depends on your setup and what you are comfortable with.

Hi @Derakkon;

I ended up using the inbuilt automations in ST to sync the STHM to the Virtual switches as for some reason in the webcore piston it wasn’t working. I might take a look at those location options also so thanks for your input :slight_smile:

cheers

If you’re not using virtual switches, how is your Location Mode changing STHM status?