Z-Wave Switches Mirror Each Other?

I do this same thing, but with 2 physical dimmer switches and they just have minds of their own. Either one on their own routine will work just fine, it’s when you add the opposite routine that shit hits the fan.

Can I ask what switches you’re using? I’m just trying to figure out why this seems to be working for everyone but me.

I have installed a mix of Leviton, Zooz, and GE/Jasco switches and dimmers.

The specific one I’ve shown here involves two Zooz ZEN26 switches. This seems to be my only bi-directional mirror/sync with two devices.

I have a one-way sync with a GE ZigBee 3.0 dimmer controlling a second dimmer of the same model.

And I have several mirror/sync automations where a have several devices mirroring a virtual device. This is a way of creating groups that are easily controllable by a voice assistant. For example our kitchen has several can lights controlled by three different dimmers. I have a virtual dimmer called Kitchen Ceiling and a mirror/sync automation with the three physical dimmers synced to the virtual.

Do I need “virtual switches/dimmers” for syncing to work?

No. The automation I posted in screenshots above is two physical devices.

What brand and model dimmers are you trying to set up to mirror.

Install @philh30 Edge driver for GE dimmer switches. The driver supports Association groups which allows one switch to mirror its behavior to other switches. Nice thing is it runs locally on your hub so it’s lightning fast vs SmartLighting which runs in the cloud. I dumped all of my SmartLighting routines in favor of ST Automations using his GE Edge drivers.

Association is device to device, without the hub involved at all. So yes it’s local but no hub in the middle.

1 Like

GE Enbrighten ZWave Dimmers controlling Enbrighten under cabinet lighting. One switch has one light and the other controls 4.

Installed the driver, but I can’t figure out how to add the switches to association groups?

First, you need to have each of the switches using that driver. Go to the device in the ST app, click on the three dots and select the Driver option. If the device is not using that driver, you need to change it. If the Driver menu item is not there, the device is still using a DTH driver and you will need to exclude the device and re-add it.

Next, you need to know the device ID of the other switch that you want to mirror the behavior. There are two ways you can find that. 1) use the SmartThings CLI found here GitHub - SmartThingsCommunity/smartthings-cli: Command-line Interface for the SmartThings APIs. or 2) using @TAustin API Browser SmartThings API Browser+ ... Looking for Testers

Once you have the Device ID of the device that will mirror, go to the device that will be mirrored in the ST app, click on the three dots, and select Settings. Scroll to the bottom and you will find the Association Group 2 (and 3). Put the device ID into Group 2 and that will cause the mirror behavior on that device ID.

1 Like

Thank you!! I have the driver installed on those 2 switches now and it actually stopped them from going haywire using routines/SmartThings, but still going to go the Association Groups route. Also installing them on all the rest of my switches too. This solves a problem I had a while back about enabling double tap.

1 Like

Yes, no sense in burning some of your Routine limit since you can use the Association Group(s).

Are there any other drivers that support setting Z-wave association groups?

I am not personally aware of any as I only use the GE/Jasco switches and outlets. There is a list of Edge drivers here https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Table_of_Edge_Drivers#Sortable_Table_of_Edge_Drivers_by_Device_Model and you can explore those drivers to see if they support Association Groups.

1 Like

The Device ID that is 22 characters separated by dashes? I put Device 1 into Association Group 2 of Device 2 and vice versa, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

No, sorry, my bad. I meant the Network ID. From the CLI, it would look like this:

Device Integration Info (from zwave)
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Network Id 61
Driver Id 5ad2cc83-5503-4040-a98b-b0fc9931b9fe
Executing Locally true
Hub Id 2ca01359-7f67-469e-9887-172e72b0423f
Network Security Level ZWAVE_S2_AUTHENTICATED
Provisioning State PROVISIONED

CLI seems pretty complicated, might be easier with the routine routes then?

You only use the CLI to find the network ID so you put it in the Association Group for the switch. You can download a pre-compiled version of the CLI for every major operating system. If that seems like too much work, then sign up for the API browser which is a web page where you can find the same info.

1 Like

Turns out, I’m an idiot and Device ID is shown by that browser, literally lines away from Network ID. :man_facepalming:

Thanks!

Edit: Works great now!!

1 Like

Glad you got it working :+1: