Linking two Z-Wave Switches to mimic each other on different electrical circuits but same hub

I have existing three way exterior flood lights on a legacy three way switch. I have a new samsung smartthings hub and a GE outlet connected for my pool pump.

I wanted to add another flood light to my shed; however, I don’t want to dig up the driveway to run the romex…I wanted to see if I could somehow install a z-wave three way switch (to replace existing) and if it would need both switches to be on z-wave - and if I could like another so that when I turn one light on all three lights come on - not having to issue voice command to my google hub

That’s a very common set up with smartthings. It’s called the “mirror“ function.“ Or a “virtual three-way.“ The two switches can be any protocol as long as each can communicate with the smartthings hub. Then the first switch sends a message to the hub and the hub sends a message to the second switch. They don’t have to be on the same circuit. In fact, one of them can even be battery-operated.

The mirror function is part of the official “ Smart lighting” feature. To get to it tap on the three horizontal line menu in the upper left, then Smartapps, then choose smart lighting.

When you set up the automation, one of the options will be “mirror.“

You can use two automations and have each switch mirror the other as well. That way when one switch turns on, the other also turns on. And when one turns off, the other also turns off. That keeps them in sync in your app. :sunglasses:

Which switches do I get any three way smart? Do all three need to be smart switches or one on each circuit?

Thanks very helpful

Just reading this.
I have two switches I’d like to mirror each other.
One is a multi switch however with and edge driver the other is a switch controlled by automations for heating.

Looks like this won’t work with smart lighting as it can’t see the individual switches in the multi switch .

I tried creating routines to mirror behaviour and this was working for a while but occasionally would flick on and off a bit like feedback.

At the moment I’ve left it that the multi switch just shows the status of the other switch and the turning it on or off manually does nothing

The multi-component device switches if they are seen and controlled with smart lighting.

You have to look for them like switch1, switch2…
and try to identify them if you have several of the same Name

Excellent, thanks for that.
So if I want it to mirror in both directions do I put the two switches in the devices to control and also the same two switches in the devices to mirror?

Edit: can’t do that, it only allows one selected. Does that mean I need two smart lighting routines?
A to mirror b and a separate b to mirror a ?

Yes, you have to do it in both directions so that they are always synchronized

2 Likes