Z-wave devices just stopped working throughout the house (14 Feb 2023)

Thanks, that was super helpful actually (specifically the link for API Browser). The first where I couldn’t see/change the driver in the Smartthings app is up behind a bookcase and the API Browser let me determine firstly that I was wrong - not a Jasco/GE unit, that’s an original Smartthings brand dimmer switch. It also shows that sure enough it IS set as type DTH but also will not let me change the driver there in API Browser, I just get “Inelligible device”. I guess I’m gonna have to crawl/climb around each of the problem devices and determine exactly what make & model it is first, are there actually devices for which there is so edge driver?

SmartThings didn’t make dimmer switches. It’s probably telling you the author of the DTH being used. :thinking:

Can you post a screenshot of the entry?

You can not simply change a DTH to and Edge Driver.

You can wait for ST to do an automatic migration or you can delete the device and re-add. For Z-Wave devices you must also do an exclusion.

Sure thing…

Ah gotcha, this whole move to Edge thing I’m finding pretty confusing. I can certainly try and do just that (exclusion and then re-add) on this particular one to see what the results are like.

1 Like

Google for manufacturer code 0x0063 says this is a Jasco model. I’ve not paid enough attention to the Mfg Name in the API Browser, the ones I’ve just checked are showing SmartThings for devices still on DTH and SmartThingsCommunity for ones on Edge (even if they are stock drivers)

Most likely your devices is using a built-in DTH. If that’s the case and you do go thru the pain of excluding it, deleting it, and re-adding it, it should convert to an Edge driver.

Keep in mind that removing it will disable or delete any automations it is part of. That includes Scenes, Routines, and Smart lighting. You’ll want to save screenshots of everything so you can recreate after the new device is added.

1 Like

Yeah but I thought from the original Smartthings communications we were supposed to be done with that migration at the end of December!? Using the API Browser, it seems I’ve got a fair amount of devices still on DTH - is there some new statement as to when we’re supposed to expect all those to be migrated? Migrating via going around to each physically excluding and then re-adding sure sucks.

they adjusted the timeline to end of Q1 2023

1 Like

There have been multiple delays for migration of devices to Edge drivers. There has been no official communication of when the migrations will be completed other than “Q1 2023”.

1 Like

You can use a virtual device as placeholders in both triggers and actions for Routines to keep them from being deleted. You will still want to take note of the conditions and actions, but it saves the hassle completely rebuilding them from scratch.

1 Like

Well regardless, I do appreciate everyone’s help and comments in here. At least I have answers for things like why I can’t switch to a particular edge driver or why I don’t get a “driver” option at all on certain devices. I’m going to exclude some of my DTH z-wave stuff and try it add it back in as edge, although I don’t really expect that’s gonna make the difference on my initial problem that led me to the thread - the fact that some of my devices respond super slowly now or sometimes not at all, and that’s something that seems to be across my devices regardless of whether they are DTH still or Edge. If only it was a matter of replacing certain devices, but the responsiveness issues seem to move around and sometimes be with certain devices and sometimes others.

1 Like

I can sympathize. I have one switch that is slow to respond. It’s in a multi-gang box with two others that are fine.

It happens to be a GE/Jasco Z-wave switch that operates two wall sconces that have Kodak brand Edison style bulbs. Those bulbs are sensitive to trickle current that some switch models use to stay online when the load is switched off.

After you exclude a Z-Wave device and re-add it to ST, it is a good idea to run Z-Wave repair to help keep your Z-Wave mesh healthy.

2 Likes

Hi all! Brand new to the community here - far from a technical expert and looking for any/all help possible. Have had a great running Z-Wave set up on Smartthings V2 for many years now with 50+ GE/Jasco switches/dimmers. About 8 weeks ago, I started having the issue where everything is online, but the app will not update the on/off state or control these devices. I have performed multiple Z-Wave network repairs, excluding and reincluding, rebooting the hub, none of these fixes have worked. I tried the cool community driver by @philh30 and it will now update the on/off state within the app when I manually press the switch, but still not able to control these devices via the app. Any help anyone can provide is MUCH appreciated!

Are any/all of these devices S2 Security capable and if so, did you set it up with the QR code or manually entering the DSK so they successfully secured to the hub? Do you have other Z-Wave devices on your network?

Can you publish the details from one or two of your devices from the API Browser+ so we can see info about the devices and hopefully point you in the right direction?

1 Like

Actually, the driver from @philh30 does seem to be working! It wasn’t working on a recently excluded, reincluded one, but is working on all of my others I did not exclude. I should be able to troubleshoot this one device - sincerely appreciate the response. Great to have this community of users!

1 Like

You might consider an exclude and then factory reset the device. I had a stubborn one that would exclude but then wouldn’t re-pair correctly until I did the reset. The other possibility is that the radio is having an issue with receiving but is transmitting fine.

1 Like

A factory reset was exactly what it needed. Now that I am using the community driver, everything seems to be back in working order. Only minor issue I have is around the GE Z Wave Fan Control (ZW4002) and being able to change the blue status lights. With the previous ST driver and the new one, the app settings will not reflect the status selected. I have some luck with the On-On-On-Off tap sequence, but it will not change it to Always On or Always Off. Any thoughts on this?

Wiith the new update I’m now having exactly the same issues as originally stated :-/

Anyone else?

YES! I’ve been having a terrible time with Zwave devices and Automations - particularly noticeable since the incident yesterday.

@mrbrcks, do you have any Aeotec Switches affected? I’ve narrowed down my problem to all switches Aeotec 6 and 7 not working, and am wondering if it has anything to do with the firmware update that started last week.