Will Secondary Controller Still Work?

You have to click “Join/Leave” after the other controller is in transfer mode. There’s no blinking light or anything, sorry. If you want to reset the hub’s network, the other controller should be in exclude mode, not transfer.

I must have tried it at least 20 times with various different combinations of starting the transfer first, starting it after, using include, exclude, three different primary controllers… none of it worked. The good news is that I got my hub reset by support, so I no longer need this “hack” to do it myself, but the bad news is that I’ve just completed setting everything up (and it works wonderfully) so I’m no longer in a position to experiment. If someone else wants to try, I tested it with the common and popular GE 45601 as well as a Nexia hub and an Intermatic HA07.

Can you share how you reset the ST Hub. Trying to do the same, already contacted support but instead of answers they are asking questions why I would like it done. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Zuperman; I have the L5200.

I also have a Vera Light (VL), and the behavior between the VL and ST are different, and I cannot figure out why.

If I put the VL on include mode, and select learn on the L5200, the L5200 appears as a secondary controller. When I add other devices to the VL, all I have to do is click learn again on the L5200 and new devices are added to the L5200.

I try to replicate the same process on the ST hub. I put the ST on include mode, and click learn on the L5200. The find each other, but on the L5200 the ST is a secondary controller. There is a shift primary to secondary option on the l5200 but it does not do anything, and I tried having the ST in include, exclude and shift mode. none worked…

Any thoughts or ideas? Is the team planning to support secondary controllers (primary/secondary)?

Finally, task accomplished, although I am not really sure how I did it. Thanks to zuperman for help and ST support for reseting the Zwave controller as primary, for some reason it was stuck as secondary.

ST hub is node#1, primary controller. Lynx 5200 is node #2 secondary controller. I can add/remove devices on the ST any time I want to update the device table on the Lynx, I select add device on the ST, and learn on the Lynx. A new device is not found on the ST, it just keeps spinning, while the Lynx finds the missing devices and adds them to the available device table of the Lynx.
I can now control devices from both controllers and have unique scenes on the Lynx to respond to home alarm related activities, while have unique and alarm independent Smartapps on the ST.

All is good, I hope I never have to go through that again.

1 Like

I’m thinking about doing a similar setup. I’m curious, do you have any access to the honeywell sensors in the smartthings hub? I have a feeling I’m going to end up with redundant sensors…

I tried for about 2 hours to get my Intermatic HA07 controller to connect to my smarthings hub, but it never made a connection. I’m bummed because I have a number of intermatic z-wave controllers that work fine with the HA07, but I can’t get them connected to my smart things hub AT ALL!!

It just seems wasteful to replace all those working devices. I hope smart things comes up with a way to use them (that mere mortals can actually do)

I have HA07 and it’s working with SmartThings as a secondary controller. When you include it into the network, make sure it’s no further than one foot from the hub.

OK, on the SmartThings app, do I just run Connect New Device before I do this?

You need to follow the Controller Replication procedure as described on page 28 of the HA07 User Manual.

On the Secondary controller:

1. Press and Hold INCLUDE for 5 seconds. COPY will flash. Release the INCLUDE button.
  2. Press and release Channel 1 OFF/DIM on the Secondary Controller. The display will show “RA” which means “Receive All information”.

Awhile back, @duncan told me that the ST hub does not support zwave controller replication. Has that changed?

OK, do I run Connect New Device on the smart things app before I run this on the controller?

FYI, the only instructions I ever got for the HA07 was a fold out sheet of paper with just enough into to add z-wave devices to it. I’ll have to look for that set of instructions on line.

Yes. http://cache.smarthome.com/manuals/1186.pdf

ST supports replication. It does not support ControllerSceneTransfer though.

OK Geko, Thanks to your information I now have the HA07 controller connected to my SmartThings hub. So now, how do I go about adding the lights that the HA07 controls to my SmartThings now?

Once this is all done, we should see if we can get this info added the supported devices list, or at least to a FAQ

1 Like

HA07 is a secondary Z-Wave controller. You can use it to control Z-Wave light switches and dimmers independently from ST. Follow instructions in the manual to add switches and dimmers to HA07. You cannot use HA07 to send commands to SmartThings. It has the same limitations as GE45600, which has been discussed at length. Search the forums for more information.

You can add the same lights directly to ST as well? So you could control from HA07 or via ST, it’s just ST won’t know the device status if the HA07 turned the device on or off?

That is correct. Same as GE45600. Once they included in the network, they act independently form ST and work even when ST is hosed. I have one on my desk and another in my bedroom and use them a lot. Both of them have built-in scenes, so you can control multiple lights with one button.

With regards to status updates, it depends on the switch. Some switches send updates to ST and those will reflect status change almost immediately. Others rely on polling, which happens only every 10 min, so those will not update right away.

P.S.
HA07 also has a built-in timer, so you can set up timed events and schedules.

Thanks! We used to call those “local controllers” as opposed to a minimote, which we would call a “secondary controller” because it can also do includes. But I’ve heard “scene controller” used multiple ways, some manufacturers mean local control and some mean via the hub.

There’s even one company who identifies four levels of “controllers”: primary, secondary who stays in synch with the hub, parallel who doesn’t stay in synch with the hub but only controls devices also controllable by the hub, and indirect, where the controller is known to the hub but the end devices are not, like a controllable relay cutting power to end devices that are either dumb or using a protocol not used by the hub.

Just wanted to make sure of what “secondary” meant in this context.

Yes, everyone tends to invent their own terminology, unfortunately. But since this discussion is about Z-Wave, I’m using Z-Wave terminology, which only differentiates between primary/secondary and static/portable controllers. “Scene controller” is a function, not controller type in Z-Wave, which makes sense because any node (not necessarily a Z-Wave controller) can be a scene controller.

Absolutely! Except, of course, for companies like Leviton and GE that manufacture physical devices that are zwave-certified that they call “scene controllers.” Or “zone controllers.” Or whatever. And now “scene controller” means something yet again in discussions of zwave installations. :fearful:

So I always check:

1. are commands issued directly from the controller device to other devices, or does every command go back to the hub first, or is either possible.

2. are the devices that the controller controls also controllable directly by the hub

3. does the controller device tell the hub everything it asked the end devices to do, whether it asked via the hub or not. If not, do the end device statuses get updated for the hub some other way and if so, how often.

4. can the controller device add new end devices to the network

Ideally each primary controller manufacturer has terminology that precisely maps to those 4 questions and uses that terminology consistently throughout their documentation. But it’s not an ideal world. (Cough button controller cough. :wink:) So I usually ask.