Will Secondary Controller Still Work?

Hi Zuperman,
Thanks for this post, I have a similar situation, I would like my Honeywell L5100 to act as a controller, where my ST hub in the primary. The ‘move to secondary function hangs up the L5100’, it just sits there for a long time, then errors out. So I was trying the route you have mentioned, which sounds different. I removed all devices from the L5100 and they are now paired in the ST hub. What I can’t figure out is how to get the ST to announce itself as a device for the L5100 to “include” into its pairings. Am I missing something here?

To add Intermatic HA07 controller
Turn on include on Smartthings hub
Press and hold INCLUDE for 5 seconds COPY will flash
Release the INCLUDE button
Press and release Channel 1 OFF/DIM on the HA07 controller
The display will show “RA” (wait a few min for ST to add it)
Add modules to HA07

Just checking in on this thread to see if there was any progress made. I’m new to SmartThings and trying to use ST as a secondary controller to my Honeywell L7000. I was able to pair my ST to the L7000 successfully and all the devices got copied over. The names don’t get copied over, but that’s not a huge problem. I’m able to control devices from either controller.

My problem is the same that several others have faced. When I add new devices to the L7000, they never show up on ST. I’ve tried everything listed in this thread, directly pairing with ST, re-joining the ST as a secondary, discovering devices from the ST. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a transfer/teach button on the L7000. The Learn button I believe is for using Honeywell as a secondary.

The only thing that I know works 100% is to remove the ST as a secondary controller and re-add it. This requires first removing all devices from SmartApps and then excluding from the Honeywell. This method is not ideal as the devices are rediscovered without names and all your SmartApps need to be reconfigured. I’m hoping there is a solution that doesn’t require me to do this every time I add a new device.

Support doesn’t respond to my request for assistance with this problem. Hoping someone has found a solution (fingers crossed)

That’s not likely to change and support is not going to help in this case. Z-Wave controller replication is really meant for hand-held remotes that don’t care about names. The device names are not part of Z-Wave protocol, they are assigned and managed externally (by the hub) and there’s no way to transfer names via controller replication. Also, new devices added by the primary controller are not automatically replicated to the secondary.

When you say they are not automatically replicated, do you know how to force the replication to happen?

I’m not too concerned about the names not replicating, but having to completely wipe out and recreate my entire automation setup really sucks. This would still suck if I was using a hand-held remote, so I would imagine even in that case, there would need to be a way to update the remote with the new device.

In a last ditch effort to get both controllers working together, I did a shift to make ST the primary and the L7000 the secondary. This seemed risky but it worked! I have all of my devices replicated and functioning across ST and the Honeywell including my door locks. My locks still seem to be able to get the entry codes from the Honeywell, even though it’s the secondary! When I add new devices on ST, I just need to click “Learn” on the L7000 and after a few minutes the new device shows up.

If anyone is interested in the steps I followed to get the shift to work on the Honeywell L5100 or L7000, let me know.

1 Like

I’m interested in what you did, but I’m using a Leviton VRUSB to program my ZWave network, so the steps won’t be quite the same. I just got my SmartThings V2 hub, so this is all completely new to me. I am running a Leviton (HAI) OmniPro 2 home automation controller, and it talks to the Vizia RF+ ZWave devices via a Leviton VRCOP module. I need to make sure the OmniPro 2 can continue to send and receive ZWave commands and status, but I also want the ST to be able to control lights and know when the status of a switch has changed (either at the switch itself or because my OmniPro sent ZWave commands to the switch).

Once ST becomes the primary controller, does that mean that the old controller (in my case, the Leviton VRUSB) will no longer be able to add devices to the ZWave network or run ZWave network diagnostics? I can’t imaging toting the ST hub around my house to get in close proximity to my 50+ ZWave devices if I have to do any ZWave network maintenance.

You can use the other controller as an “inclusion controller” which means a secondary that includes devices on behalf of the primary.

Is this accurate or only in some cases? My understanding was that not the case with some of the GE remotes which act as secondary controllers but the functionality of including or excluding using these remotes no longer works like it use to with the v1 hubs.

Edit: adding content…

I also have the wayne dalton home connect bridge device which is in a similar situation. Is it that smartthings wants to move away from devices directly controlling other devices in favor of the hub?

It was broken in some cases (bad SUCID prevented inclusion by secondary controllers), but that was fixed in one of the recent firmware updates.

Nice. I now have a pile of gear that I thought was useless that needs to be tested again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please help im trying the sa me thing with no luck.

1 Like

I can tell you what I did, but see below for my list of concerns with doing this. Also know that this approach can be risky and be prepared to possibly need to exclude and re-add all of your devices.

Use this approach if you have your devices on the Honeywell and want to copy them to Smartthings and make it the primary. On the Honeywell, go into the zwave options and select the “Shift to secondary” option. While the screen displays the shifting dialog, quickly perform an add on Smartthings. It should find the Honeywell and add it as a secondary controller. Your devices should show up on the Smartthings after about 10 minutes. If you look at the list of controllers on the Honeywell, it should show Smartthings as the primary. If the shift dialog disappears quickly after showing up, you may need to reboot the Honeywell and try again.

Use this approach if you already have your devices added to Smartthings. I recommend starting with Smartthings as the primary, adding all your devices there and then adding the Honeywell as your secondary. It’s a little more stable and predictable. To do this, use the “Learn” command on the Honeywell and “Add Thing” on Smartthings. After the Honeywell has been added as the secondary, your devices will start to show up over the next 10 or so minutes.

Things I’ve noticed over the months that has made it very problematic:

• It can be challenging to get new devices to reliably show up on the Honeywell after adding them to Smartthings. To get new devices to show up, I click Learn on the Honeywell and put Smartthings into discovery mode. This will sometimes do nothing and sometimes reset all the devices on the Honeywell and re-add them, which is very frustrating as everything needs to be renamed and all scenes re-setup.
  • There is also no way to easily clean up removed devices without going through the full exclude and include of the Honeywell as a secondary.
  • You can’t add things to the Honeywell on behalf of the primary. It gets added but doesn’t show up on the Smartthings.
  • Your Honeywell and Smartthings need to be in generally the same location for door locks to work reliably. It seems like the mesh network only really gets established for a single controller and if the controllers are in different locations, then it will tend to loose its connection to one of them.

Having no easy or reliable way to add/remove devices makes it mostly useless for me. While I still have the Honeywell setup as the secondary, I’ve mostly given up on using it for most scenarios. I have a few devices that work reliably like the switch for my camera power and my siren, I cannot rely on it to lock/unlock doors.

Hope this is helpful.

1 Like