Why is this system so broke

Two days in a row my outside lights did not turn off at sunrise.

I hate this system so bad. It has yet to work 100% for 7 days in a row. All I want it to do is turn lights on and off.

Every light in the house can be turned on reliably using the smart phone app. It never fails. The scheduling is what false all the time.

1 Like

The difference is what is running native in the hub (reliable) and what functions require internet access (smartthings cloud server) - (not so reliable).

I wish there was an easy way to tell what functions require internet access. I unplugged my Hub-V2 from the internet and observed its functions over a day period. That gave me some idea what works without internet.

1 Like

Ask and ye shall receive!

SmartLighting and (portions of?) Smart Home Monitor are the only things that run locally at this point. In order to run locally, any given automation needs to use ONLY devices that can also run locally. Lists of which of your smartapps and devices are currently local can be found at the links below.

SmartApps running locally: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localInstalledSmartApp/list

Devices running locally: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localDevice/list

4 Likes

Those are FANTASTIC web addresses. I finally can tell what is local and what is cloud. Now I just have to wonder how many other ā€œtricksā€ are lurking about that I just donā€™t know about.

Thank you very muchā€¦

Those addresses and some other interesting stuff are also in the community-created wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=FAQ

I know about the other items in the wiki. My only remaining area that I would like additional information is the Z-Wave network configuration.

Ideally, I would need both routing and signal level information. But, just having relay node information on the IDEā€™s device page would be sufficient.

This morning one bulb did not turn off. I went to the device list and the bulb showed active 18 hours ago. Here is a pic.

Then I went to the app on my phone and turned the bulb off. The bulb turned off and this is what it shows now.

Why is it that the phone app can turn any light on or off 100% of the time but the scheduler has these issues.

Again today none of the lights turned off. I went to the device list and it was empty.

I turned the lights off with my phone and they all turned off.

Still when I go to the device list I show nothing now.

Lights turned on and off two days ago. Yesterday they turned on as scheduled but never turned off in the morning.

This system is random

Another day when the lights stay on. Today I might reset everything and start of scratch.

The worse thing is I can turn them on and off when the phone and it works 100% of the time. I wish someone would give feed back that Smarthings is having issues and do not waste your time reseting everything again. it is server side.

Things have been a bit wonky. My system went from very stable to problems with schedules and motion for 2 days then last night out of the blue started working fine again. According to http://status.smartthings.com/ there are still areas of degraded performance. I would hang tight and let things work themselves out rather than reset. If you have made no changes, then your system should start working normally as the servers stabilize.

Thank you. Every time I do a reset it takes so long to get things working again.

Again my lights did not turn off this morning. I can turn them off with the phone app. I wish I could find a better system.

I now have every hub you can buy excluding Zipato. Unfortunately they all have their quirks. Are you mainly automating lighting? Staples has been the best so far for that. It isnā€™t very useful for much more due to its limited amount of compatible devices. Winkā€™s lighting situations when tied to schedules works pretty well but the delay in motion sensor to lights on is terrible.

2 Likes

I think you missed the point here.

If the point of this tread is simply to complain, then you are right and that is a point i will always miss. From my experience with smartthings and most other products ~half of the time something is broke, has turned out to be my fault. Normally due to my own ignorance. I have well over 60 devices (zwave, zigbee and IP) that work with ST very consistently. When they donā€™t, i look into the logs to see why and a solid half of the time i didnā€™t set something up right or didnā€™t take into consideration what exactly my automations would do once i set it up to interact with me.

While yes, it is possible i missed the point of the tread, @tfleming675 seamed to miss the point of my response. If you take the time to look at the logs you might realize you are part of the reason your system is so broke, just like i used to be.

1 Like

I have looked at the log. I have posted it here a few times. I am open to any advice to make this work.

Indeed you have posted live logging logs which are one way to see whats going on in your environment. The post tfleming is commenting on covers WAY more than just live logging. Iā€™ll be honest @Judgless i have no desire to go deep diving into someone else environment to determine whats wrong, but providing tools or distilling info to help people figure out weather or not itā€™s smartthings or them is my speed. If all you are looking at is live logging than i would recommend taking a deeper read of the FAQ below and overview the logs of every component that is required to turn a light on i.e. hub, device (lightbulb) and smartapp:

In the end you may simply see its scheduling issue and completely on smartthings but adjust the time +/- 2 mins may make it more stable. Itā€™s also equally possible with everything you have posted to be a distance/interference issue, a crappy custom smartapp, a crappy custom devicetype or a crappy quasi supported device.

So all the advice i have is use all the logs and test till you figure it out.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised to hear anyone say their issues are their own fault. The built-in automations like Smart Lighting are dead simple, and still fail to run many times. Thereā€™s some core issue regarding scheduling due to the cloud.

I just wish we could run our own ST cloud as a VM or something. Iā€™d pay for it. A fully local version with some cloud tie-ins for external services would be the best yet.

3 Likes

Ok, so letā€™s review your posts a little. But before that, you need to understand that scheduler is broken and is nothing you can do to fix it on your end. There are a few ways to avoid that. Either use lux level, motion sensors or your phone. With that being said, letā€™s begin:

Scheduler issue. Nothing you can do. Change your approach to automation or wait for ST to fix the scheduler. Is coming soon, hopefully by the end of the year!

GE link bulbs are capricious and a main reason they are not supported devices. Using them, is on your own risk. I have my GE bulbs going through Hue bridge and have no issues, maybe that would work for you too.

That wonā€™t help but for a short time. Scheduler is broke, ge bulbs are not supported devices, in few days youā€™ll be back in the same situation.

Sure, that happens when the scheduler is broke. It may be fixed by the end of the year.

Sure, the log confirms that scheduler is broke and GE are capricious. The scheduler might be fixed by the end of the year, and slight chances that GE bulbs will behave the way you want them to, because ST doesnā€™t belive they will, or else they would be on the official supported devices.

So in summary, scheduler is broken and will be fixed in the next 10 years. GE bulbs will continue to behave strangely because they are not officially supported.

2 Likes