Support Bricked my Hub now I need to exclude all devices

Haven’t use ST for quite awhile. Was waiting for the dust to clear.
This am went to see if I could work things out.
Hub just kept blinking Blue then stopped blinking.
Changed area for different receptacle and different network connection.
Got it to solid Blue but not to green.
Support and I decided to factory reset hub.
Did the Factory Reset.
Blinked Red quite a few times then lights went out.
Never to Light again.
Support said it must have been running on batteries the whole time.
Um. No.
Nothing now.
Now my 26 devices are tied to this bricked Hub.
Is there a way to unlink the light controls without having the hub in Exclusion Mode?
As of now I have no way to put hub in exclusion mode to allow the switches to reset.
Ideas?

First. Doesn’t sound like they did anything to your hub. It just quit. If a long power down reset (with no battery) doesn’t fix iy its probably a hardware issue.

That said. You can issue a ‘general device exclude’ for ZWave from ANY hub. So when you replace it you will issue exclusion from the new hub.

Does the new Amazon Alexa devices support zwave and zigbee? Seems can get the lighting setup with just Alexa vs going through Smartthings.

Zigbee only. And only with some echo models, including the echo plus, some of the echo shows, and I think one of the echo dots. But no zwave with any of them.

You can add some Z wave switches, but not many, to a ring alarm base station and get them into Alexa routines that way.

1 Like

Samsung has decided to get out of the smart home automation hardware design and support business, although they will still offer the cloud and the app, so they are shifting hub Manufacturer over to partners. That’s going to be Aeotec for the US, but they may not have hubs available for another couple months.

See the official announcement thread:

An Update Regarding our Hardware

If you’re looking for an immediate Z wave replacement, there are a couple of possibilities, each with its own pluses and minuses

1. with the exception of the app, Hubitat is the most like smartthings from a technical side, right down to being able to run the same groovy code. But everything runs local except for integrations with third-party devices like voice assistants. The company was founded a few years ago by some smartthings power users who wanted local operations and they’ve been quite successful. It’s still a tiny company, but even if it went out of business, because everything is local, whatever you had set up will continue to run. They have a very active community, so you can ask additional questions there.

But it’s likely it will run almost all the devices you have, with two notable exceptions: it doesn’t do well with early Schlage Locks and there are some polling issues with early GE zwave devices. But again you can ask more questions over there. You can also use the third-party sharptools with it if you want a nice app.

The main negative is you do need a lot of technical expertise to get it set up and running, it was originally intended for professional installations and, again, designed by power users. It’s just not a plug and play system.

1. Abode. This is designed as a security system, but it also has a good rules engine and supports most of the same devices that smartthings does, plus its own security sensors. Intended to be plug-and-play, it has a very nice app and is aimed at a general consumer market. However, you will have to pay a monthly fee to get the same kind of rules creation you can do in smart things or Hubitat. So not everyone will be interested.
  1. something else. There are several other hubs on the market that have individual models that can support both zigbee and Z wave but with varying degrees of complexity. Most will be more similar to Hubitat than Abode but not as similar to smartthings as Hubitat is. For more discussion see:

Alternative Hubs

1 Like