Stuck in Download device controller loop

I updated the app on my Iphone to 1.6.69-546 and now when I try to go into any device (I have around 120 devices) it spins for about 30 seconds and then I get a message:

“Download device controller? To use all the features of this device a controller needs to be downloaded”

I hit download and the device displays “Downloading” for about 20 seconds and goes away. I then tap the device and the “Download device controller” message just pops up again.

So far I have tried to log out of the app and back in and I checked for device and app updates in the IDE and did not see any. I also looked at the live logs in the IDE and did not see anything unusual.

Anyone else see this?

Thanks

1 Like

You will not find anything in IDE since it is an update for the app. :slight_smile:

You will probably need to uninstall/reinstall the app.

I just tried removing and reinstalling the App with no change. When I tap on a device (physical or virtual) it spins for 30 seconds and pops up “Download device controller? To use all the features of this device a controller needs to be downloaded”. I hit download and the device displays “Downloading” for about 20 seconds and goes away. I then tap the device and the “Download device controller” message just pops up again.

i had something like this happen with one of my android phones that did not have a sim card and was just using it with wifi. once i put a working sim card in it and started it and ran the st app and then took out the sim then ST worked going into device detail.

I know you said it’s affecting all of your devices, but could you give us a couple of specific examples?

I did run into this once on a cloud to cloud integration with a Meross device where it turned out that the device itself needed an update through the Meross app before it could move forward with the integration update.

That could only come up with cloud cloud integrations, I believe, so if you were seeing it on zwave or Zigbee hub connected devices it would be something else that just happens to have the same symptoms. But I just thought I’d mention it. :thinking:

I’m also stuck in this same loop. Ever since Samsung Family Hub discontinued its bespoke smart fridge app and defaulted to SmartThings’ app I’ve experienced a lot of bugs with this app. Not to mention its features pale in comparison to the marketing materials and original app that led us to buy this fridge. Currently the SmartThings app continues to ask for the device controller download, can’t show inside the fridge and won’t upload photos. I reached out to SmartThings customer service two weeks ago and never heard back.