I understand that the presentation for capabilities has been changed recently, but I couldn’t find any info regarding what exactly has been changed and what needs to be done in order to fix it.
It seems the documentation has not been updated to reflect the changes (or perhaps I was looking at the wrong place).
Could someone please point me in the right direction?
Specifically, I’d like to understand what needs to be changed for list presentation, but other types would be interesting as well.
(If it could be step by step tutorial, it would be great)
The fix is to set up translations, update the capability presentation, then create a new vid to pull in the translations. @nayelyz posted a description at the link below. Due to the issue I posted here, you’ll need to use the API if you want to pull an example json from an existing capability to work off of.
You should be able to get the CLI to spit the JSONs back out for you. The only step I find troublesome to get back out is for the device-config, only because I always confuse the profile, vid and device-config.
Hey there; This topic has me seeing red! After all the work I’ve done on drivers, and now the assumption is that we’re supposed to go back and redo everything?! Unbelievable.
I’ve never had any success with capability ‘update’ CLI commands. No errors, but the changes never seem to take effect. So I have given up even trying and always resort to creating new capabilities. Obviously a lot of tedious work. So wanted to ask if you have actually experienced capability updates working? Have you ever seen them take effect on existing devices (and results seen on both Android and iOS) with a try_update_metadata, or will it only take effect for newly created devices?
I’ve recently had good success updating presentations and getting immediate results.
Update presentation to point to translation
Update device profile
#3 is critical to getting the change to show. If you have a custom vid, you’ll need to generate a new one (can use the same file as the prior). If no custom vid, you need to change the device profile in some way. This can be as simple as adding/changing the main component’s label!
I’m also frustrated with the forced move to translations. If you check any of your capabilities that have the crazy labels (not the Unknown ones) you’ll see they actually created a ‘en’ locale translation on your behalf, with all the wrong data. If they do some sort of automated clean up I kind of expect it to mess something else up. So I’m just going to bite the bullet and start working on updates to all 50+ capabilities.
One positive that I see from this is that I finally feel like the capability presentation is doing everything it’s supposed to. All the fields make sense. Multiple attributes on a single capability now work. There are a few missing points - that description ‘value’ that came up in your DSC thread, plus the multiple labels on a single attribute device. But I no longer feel like this presentation stuff involves praying it’ll work.
Well it looks like this problem with labels has gotten even worse. Just created a new device and now ALL custom capability labels say ‘Untitled’. Not even the raw capability name or attribute name to even give a hint as to what it is. And I have users reporting the same.
I tried defining a translation file for one of my existing capabilities, updating the presentation, making a change to the profile file, and it still says “Untitled”.
Oh geez. Thanks for the tag @TAustin. I’ve been updating capabilities tonight and struggling for the past hour to get these new translations to show on my alarm driver. Now looking back at a different driver with new capabilities that I had looking good with all the proper translations, it’s totally screwed too.