SmartThings Station if you already have a V2/V3 hub?

SmartThings is really pushing this SmartThings Station. At least twice now, I’ve got the notification in the app. Does anyone have thoughts on it’s usefulness to those of us who already have a v2 or v3 hub?

1 Like

There is an existing discussion thread on the device itself, but I think your question is distinct enough to warrant its own topic.

If you’re just interested in the specs and marketing and all that, see the existing thread:

New SmartThings "hub" the Station

As far as whether it makes sense for someone who already has a V3 or V2 hub, I think we just don’t know yet.

I think it will probably make the most sense for those who have galaxy devices, as they get a bunch of extra features, including a device locator.

But on how it will fit into an existing hub-based smartthings ecosystem, we just don’t know yet.

Note that it doesn’t have zwave.

If you already have a V3 hub, I don’t see the station adding anything in terms of thread, or matter.

If you only have a V2 hub, though, that one is not going to be a thread border router, and you’re probably going to want one of those. So the station might be a candidate for that role.

Tagging @Automated_House in case he has any more thoughts.

1 Like

Yes, I want to know all of that. They seem to be pushing this pretty hard considering I have to work hard trying to figure out how to buy it and only hit dead ends. How about a link to a page with availability dates and prices?
My thoughts are, I’m still unclear as to how my v2 hub will work with Matter. Would this be a good option? What about Thread?
I am all in as far as Samsung devices go. Watch, phones, tablets, TV’s. I even have SmartTags, which seems like they might be able to be used as presence locators according to the latest notice.

I’m very curious about the reason for pushing this on current SmartThings hub owners. I know not everyone who uses the app has a hub. But I’m guessing more do, than do not.

It is disappointing to see it won’t support Zwave. One would have to assume a Zwave bridge could be implemented. Otherwise this device is a non starter for most.

I’m hoping some early adopters or bata non NDA signing users might pipe in. :grin:

Less than 10% of those using the smartthings app have a smartthings/Aeotec hub. Most have a Samsung smart television, smart appliance, smart vacuum, or a galaxy device.

You can disable those type of notifications in the app :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not the notification that bothers me. It’s the fact that it’s like a notification for vaporware. Is this thing even real. This talk is more for the other thread though. Im hoping to get some real answers sooner than later. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I’m not seeing that. :thinking: There won’t be any zwave matter devices in the first round, and maybe not in the second. I think, as others have said in the other thread, this is mostly intended as a Matter controller.

1 Like

I have no experience with ST in TV’s or appliances etc. Although I have the ability with my Nvidia Shield TV. I was assuming they functioned exactly like a hub, for the most part.

Nope. As shipped, they don’t have the radios. There is a dongle that can be added to some models, but it also does not have zwave.

1 Like

The driver limitation is very important, to the point of making it useless for many people, unless its for unloading standard type devices off a main hub to avoid reaching the device limit (which I don’t know what it is)

1 Like

Like I said, I don’t think most users of this forum are the target audience for the new station device.

I haven’t seen any official comments, but my own feeling is that this is intended as a thread border router and matter controller for those who have a galaxy device but no current ST hub. It would make a lot of sense for that group. They probably don’t use custom code, they just want to add some matter devices, including some thread devices. And they will like the special galaxy features. So it will all be plug and play, just give them some additional device classes to go with their other Samsung items. And it looks priced to compete with the other inexpensive matter hubs like aqara and ikea Dirigera.

I do know the official Samsung statements all refer to this as a “matter hub.“

3 Likes

Its for sale in South Korea as of 2 days ago.
https://www.samsung.com/sec/mobile-accessories/package-smartthings-station-smarttag/EP-P9500TBEPKR/

Supposedly USA availability is coming in February. The USA Amazon listing is live, but no inventory yet:
https://amzn.to/3HDArkm

I think you’re assuming “most” of us in this forum are are Samsung’s primary audience. As JD Said, we’re the vast minority of SmartThings users. Most SmartThings users, or any smart home user, don’t know anything about hubs, wireless protocols, they just expect to buy a smart device and it work with their platform of choice.

Definitely makes sense for a V2 or no-hub household. This forum is the first i’ve heard of the Station being restricted at all compared to V2/V3/Aeotec hub. I have always wondered what the capabilties of the TV and Fridge built-in hub was compared to V2/V3. But I’ve never met anybody with a built-in hub to grill with questions :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

FWIW, it looks like the Station comes with firmware 46.X out of the box

1 Like

I don’t know what that means. I have a V2 Hub and I am pleased with all it can do for me. What does the term mean?

what would this bring above and beyond a V2 hub?

Different home automation devices use different radio protocols to communicate. Sort of like AM and FM radio if you’re familiar with that. Or for a human example, it’s like saying that some speak French, some speak Hungarian, some speak Chinese.

Almost all home automation devices that work with smartthings only use one of these protocols, which means you need to have some way to speak back to any of them in order to have them all on your account.

A smartthings V3 hub can respond to Wi-Fi, Zigbee, Z wave, and most recently, thread.

Thread is a protocol which has been around for a few years, but it is suddenly getting very popular because it’s going to be the most common protocol for battery operated devices which use a new industry standard called “Matter.” so we are going to start seeing a lot more thread devices available for people to buy.

You have to have at least one “thread border router“ in your home in order for Thread devices to be able to get out to the Internet. Which, in a smartthings context means to be able to get to the smartthings app.

The V3 hubs, including the current smartthings hub from aeotec, are going to get a software update which will teach them how to speak thread. And they will act as a thread border router so that means that pretty soon v3/Aeotec hub users will be able to select any device with the matter logo, whether it uses Wi-Fi or thread, and add it to your smartthings account. That’s very cool, and should give us a lot more choices, including more inexpensive devices that will work straight out of the box with smartthings.

But… Apparently it’s not technically possible to update the existing V2 hubs to speak thread. So if you want to add thread devices to your SmartThings account, you’re going to need to have at least one device in your home which is a “thread border router.” The new Samsung station matter Hub would work for that. Of course, there will be other thread border routers that you could use as well. Many of the Amazon echo devices are going to be updated to be thread border routers, and so will many of the Google home devices. Apple HomePod minis are already thread border routers.

So…

Matter is a new home automation standard that pretty much all of the big players are going to support, including SmartThings, Amazon, Google, Apple, Ikea, Aqara, Tuya, Hue, etc. Not every model from these companies, but at least some.

Thread is one of the languages that device manufacturers will use for the matter standard, and it is expected to be especially popular for batterypowered devices.

If you want to use a device that speaks thread, you will need to have at least one “thread border router“ in your home so that your smartthings app can get information about the thread devices.

The V3 smartthings hub and the current Aeotec Smartthings hub are going to be updated to be thread border routers. The V2 hub will not be updated for this feature for technical reasons.

Consumer reports has a very good FAQ on matter, if you’d like to read more about it:

3 Likes

See my previous post. It would make it possible to add thread devices to your smartthings account.

1 Like

Excellent explanation and much appreciated. Thank you.

1 Like

any idea if the Station will be able to be used only as a thread border router and not as a ST hub so there are no complications of a second hub?

1 Like

SmartThings Station is officially for sale in the USA. Curiosity got the best of me. Will find out in a few days what restrictions it has…

7 Likes