SmartThings, DSC Alarm, EnvisaLink4

I could use some help.

I have a SmartThings hub, in addition to Alexa, Harmony, Phillips Hue, Sonos, etc.
I have a DSC 1616 alarm system

I had some fancy idea that it would be neat to leverage the sensors in my alarm system for some SmartThings automation.
Specifically, the motion sensors, the door sensors, and the smoke alarm. It would be nice to get notifications when I’m traveling. Perhaps turn on some lights if an alarm is triggered, you get the idea.

So I bought an EyezOn EnvisaLink 4 without doing enough research. There is no viable chance to run Ethernet cable to the alarm panel. It wouldn’t be worth it. Is there some way to go wireless with it?
How would I then integrate it with SmartThings to get notifications working?

I do have an unused Raspberry Pi 3 (has wifi) from another project that I could use. I’m not a developer, but I am savvy enough to follow instructions.

Am I attempting a boondoggle? I’m worried that it is more trouble than it is worth and I should maybe just return the Envisalink. Then I’d buy more sensors (to overlap with the sensors in my DSC system). Plus a new smoke alarm.

Have you checked out konnected.io ?- Easy way to use your existing wired sensors. I would return the envisalink and look up @heythisisnate and his Konnected product.

It was a hugely successful kickstarter campaign. I used it to replace a Honeywell Vista 20p panel.

Good luck!

(Nate Clark) #3

Thanks for the ping @todds89.
@SackOHammers this is exactly why I built Konnected. Let me know if you have any questions.

(Graham) #4

I’m sort of in the same boat as SackoHammers. Konnected.io is cool, but I’m not willing to give up my existing alarm system just yet (for a number of reasons) … I just want access from SmartThings to the sensor states. So far I haven’t found any decent documentation for setting up an alarm server relay on something low-cost like a Pi.

(Nate Clark) #5

@GT1 we (Konnected) have a new product for you that’s going on sale soon. It allows you to keep the existing alarm system intact while monitoring the state of each zone in ST. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the replies. I, too, definitely want to keep my existing alarm functionality with 3rd party monitoring.
I just wanted automation access to the sensors used by that system. I’ll keep my eye out for this future Konnected product.
For now, any way to this Envisalink get access to my sensors? Without running Ethernet to the panel?

Thanks,
Hammers

(Graham) #7

I ended up pulling an Ethernet cable to mine (had to punch some holes in drywall to do it, then repair). Wasn’t too bad in the end. However, if you want to go wireless you can find wireless - > ethernet bridges. They used to be more popular before everything started supporting wireless, but you should still be able to find them for less than $35.

You could get a Alarm decoder AD2Pi which will allow you to integrated any sensors in your system and still keep your monitoring service. The link below has the Pi 3 included, but they also offer one without the Pi for $70 if you already have one. Since the Pi 3 has wireless you will not need Ethernet. It supports both DSC and Honeywell systems.

Alarm Decoder

(Dave N) #9

I run Alarm server software and have a WiFi bridge connected to my alarm panel; there is no eth path to my setup either. All has worked just dandy for years.

Thanks for your replies, all. Looks reasonable to use either a wireless access point (bridge) to get some ethernet near my cabinet, or a Powerline Ethernet option.
I didn’t realize I’d also have add something additional to get Envisalink and SmartThings talking to each other.
So the Alarm Decoder solution might be a better fit.

I’ll re-evaluation my options. Thanks all.

This sounds like what I’ve been waiting for!