Envisalink or Konnected?

My wife and I just built a new home and I hired someone to install a wired security and fire system. I did not want a monitoring service, but I did want to be able to control it remotely and receive updates on my phone when an alarm was triggered or set, he used envisalink to do this.

Well after jumping into the whole smart things stuff with door locks, light switches, and some other sensors in the house, i want to integrate ST with my DSC alarm panel and the alarm’s sensors. There seems to be 2 main options, alarmserver and envisalink, or use the Konnected device.

The alarmserver seems a little more complicated than what I was hoping to have, and the user interface does not seem as friendly, but I already have the envisalink installed. Should I keep the envisalink and go with alarmserver, or go ahead and buy what I need for konnected?

If I go Konnected, should I keep the envisalink installed, or remove it completely?

I’m actually experimenting with my Envisalink and Alexa integration via their skill. Your zones and sensors become devices in Alexa, and technically can be used in scenes or when you voice control your device.

I’ve been looking for a good integrated solution since I got that device a few years ago, and AlarmServer was a bit more than I wanted. With Eyezon and ST part of my Alexa, I’m curious as to what I can really do.

I literally just started with this a day ago, but got held up due to Dorian wreaking havoc all around me yesterday. Hopefully I’ll get to playing around with this soon

2 Likes

With alarmserver + envisalink (that I use) you keep your alarm system intact regardless of SmartThings.
With Konnected you move wiring from your alarm system to the konnected board and wire konnected board output to your alarm system. So you’ll have one zone on DSC for 6 zones (Konnected board has 6 inputs). You loose zone identification and you need more than one konnected board if you have more than 6 zones.

You can get that with EyesOn app on your phone.

Thank you, I currently use eyezon, and I think the user interface has a lot of room for improvement.
So, right now I have 16 zones on my DSC panel, are you saying by switching to konnected, I would need 3 Inputs, and it would make my panel not functional any more?

For example, right now if an alarm is triggered, it will till me the zone that triggered the alarm on the panel, but if I use konnect, it wouldn’t be able to do that?

Thank you for the help, I am very new to all of this.

I used Envisalink and the Eyezon app for years. It worked well. But I was looking for a little more functionality and Konnected offered that. Yes, currently Konnected only offers 6 inputs per module. I had a wired system and easily converted to Konnected. I absolutely love the Konnected system. I now have it all integrated into ST, webcore and ActionTiles. I did not like the DSC keypads and now I use Amazon Fire HD pads.

Yes, it does. And I have my system set up so that Alexa and/or house speakers announce which sensor triggered the alarm. And I get the same notification on my phone.

I liked the Envisalink system. I would convert to Konnected again without hesitation.

28 sensors with EyesOn and AlarmServer running on a Pi3. Works beautifully!

Bonus: Professional monitoring that has absolutely nothing to do with ST!

Bonus2: Can still automate via ST, which I do, and it’s cheaper when you have over 16 sensors.

Bonus 3: AlarmServer is super easy to setup. Just connect 2 wires and an ethernet cable.

@Brandona
You have now the 2 options well described by @rontalley and @Pantheon.
If you want to keep your DSC system intact, alarmserver is the solution. If not, Konnected will also do the job but you introduce Alexa in the process to know what zone triggered when. Also, the more cloud systems you introduce the less reliable a system becomes. It’s also more expensive at $99 for every 6 zones vs $50 for a Raspberry Pi + $50 for a display.
Decision is ultimately yours.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Hey guys!

I created a SmartThings device handler that integrates nicely with EnvisaLink/Eyez-On and allows you to automate the arming/disarming of your alarm system via SmartThings routines, Alexa, etc. It’s super easy/quick to setup and doesn’t require any additional hardware beyond your EnvisaLink and SmartThings hub. I’ve been test driving it myself for several months now and it’s been working wonderfully.

You can find the project here: https://github.com/vadim-bach/EyezOn-SmartThings-Switch. I’m hoping you guys will benefit from it as much as I have. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

1 Like

There are actually three methods to link a DSC PowerSeries panel to Smartthings.

1. Envisalink
  2. Konnected
  3. AlarmDecoder

The advantages of Envisalink and AlarmDecoder is that they both support wireless as well as wired sensors and both allow you to leave your panel professionally monitored - should you wish.

Konnected only supports wired sensors and completely takes over the panel and thereafter it is controlled solely via Smartthings and hence also cannot be monitored. It would however be a much simpler setup and more fully integrated in to Smartthings.

A lot of people however are of the view that by keeping your alarm panel at least semi-detached from Smartthings then you ensure a problem with Smartthings does not take down your alarm system.

It is in theory possible to use both Envisalink and AlarmDecoder at the same time.

Since Envisalink and Konnected have been well discussed here already I will only provide a link to AlarmDecoder. (There is an app for Smartthings for it.)

https://www.alarmdecoder.com/

Hey this is awesome. I wanted this for so long. Unfortunately it’s not working for me. Did device handler and selected device type. I think it’s because in settings every time I select stay or away the setting doesn’t stick and needs to be entered again when I go back into settings every time. I’m on envisalink 3. Can you help or can I bug test with you?

Can you try the EnvisaLink4 code as well? It seems more and more that the variation that we’ve been seeing with the request format is not actually related to the version of EnvisaLink but something else.

That worked! Thanks. Disarm and status didn’t work so well. It was in and out. Hopefully you will continue to develop:) Great start!

Glad to hear! What exactly do you mean by “it was in and out”? Does it only work sometime?

The arming seems to be great. The disarming was in and out. I tried disarming right after arming however. Also, is there anything that can be done to icon too indicate a successful arming?

Daniel Copeland B.COM, LL.B

Barrister and Solicitor

E-mail: danielvcopeland@gmail.com

Mobile: +1(416)829-2019

I suspect it’s because the system briefly goes into “Busy” state when you try to arm it. The disarm logic explicitly checks that the system is in “Away Armed”, “Stay Armed”, or “Exit Delay” states before attempting to disarm to prevent it from going into inconsistent state (has a lot to do with the stupidity of the EnvisaLink/EyezOn software but I won’t go too much into the detail around that). If you wait a tiny bit until the system goes into Exit Delay mode the disarm should work for you as well. Let me know if that fixes it.

As far as icons go those are a bit flimsy and I didn’t have much time to get those working 100% but if you hit that Refresh icon it should sync to whatever state the system is currently in. This DH works best when used to integrate with routines, which is essentially what I originally wrote it for. If you plan to trigger it manually I’d suggest just using the EyezOn website (at least until I can get the icons stuff sorted out).

Makes perfect sense. You are doing a great job. Keep up the good work!

Do you think one day we could have our DSC motion sensors brought into ST app for triggered actions? I see them in Alexa now with the Envisalink skill enabled. That would be awesome for lighting control:)

Thanks for the positive feedback!

That’s cool def. sounds doable. Tbh I wrote this DH mostly for my own use because I got tired having to disarm the system manually every time I enter the house (or prior via my phone). And I figured it’s prob. a similar problem that a lot of other folks are also running into.
I’d love to code up the integration for DSC motion sensors but with a demanding, full-time job I don’t see that happening anytime soon :stuck_out_tongue: But if you have the time it’s pretty easy to learn and code it up yourself as an option :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome. Don’t think I have the expertise but maybe one day if I get really bored:)