Smartthings Bond Support

So yesterday I checked Smart-Things and apparently it got support for a connection with a bond hub(I was really excited when I saw this). But when I connected my account nothing showed up.

2 Likes

Everyone else seems to have the same issue. One person mentioned Bond support told them right now it only works with fans that come with Bond built in?

https://forum.bondhome.io/t/bond-v2-platform/466/8

hereā€™s the thread where it talks about this. looks like weā€™re still a few weeks out unless someone can manage to use the API to build something themselves.

As Iā€™ve said before, I hate the marketing from this company. They are the poster child for ā€œoverpromise and underdeliver.ā€ :rage:

The product seems to be decent, but the product descriptions simply canā€™t be parsed to determine what the thing actually does in any given situation.

I would purchase a bond if they had SmartThings integration. As of now I am skeptical it will ever happen

Here is the quote from one of the Bond engineers in the Bond forum. I am unclear of what ā€˜Smart By Bond devicesā€™ are.

1d
Hi All,

This weekend was released our new integration with Smartthings (Samsung Connect).
Some users tried to use it over the weekend and couldnā€™t find their device listed.

For now, only Smart By Bond devices are supported (via the new Bond Home app). Bond Bridge (BD-1000) support will be released in the coming weeks.

When we have more information, weā€™ll post it here.

Thanks.

Thereā€™s some indications that it is fans with Bond technology built into them

1 Like

I bought a bond and set it up with the legacy bond app. It upgraded to firmware 2.5.2. I then paired it with a ceiling fan. It identified the ceiling fan remote immediately. I then reset the bond to factory settings and set it up with the new bond home app. It upgraded to firmware 2.6.21beta. It did not identify the same fan and I had to manually program the remote buttons. I set up 3 ceiling fans and a fireplace so far on it and it is working great. The new app has choices for ceiling fan, fireplace, shades, and generic device remotes. The new app also appears much more refined but Bond does warn that it is still in beta.
I did try to pair the bond bridge with my SmartThings hub and the SmartThings app reported ā€˜successfully connected to Bond Homeā€™ ā€˜devices connected to this account can be controlled in SmartThingsā€™.
I cannot find the devices in the SmartThings app though but perhaps the integration is getting a step closerā€¦

1 Like

According to the BOND Engineers the Classic app is not supported. But below is what was said.

Samsung is not supporting the classic app by integrators like us. So, the strategy here is, a community member may create a (great) integration for the classic app and share it. This seems to work well for a number of other products.

So, the real announcement to look for from us is, Cloud API fully supporting Bridge-assisted devices.

4 Likes

I would buy a Bond bridge yesterday if it could give me control of my 6-speed DC Minka Aire fan/light but Iā€™m using the classic app only right now.

It sounds like thatā€™s not necessarily in the cards based on these posts?

I have 3 DC fans that I can now control via Bond. Caveat is there are only 3 speeds available via ST and you must use the new app

Are you using the Bond IR blaster or do the fans have Bond built in?

got our somfy shades to show up in Bond with the latest v2.7 releaseā€¦

the shades do not show up in ST yetā€¦ only my 2 fans

1 Like

So when I saw ā€œBond Homeā€ the other day as a device option, I selected it and joined my account to smartthings. While I have 3 fans connected to my Bond Hub, only one showed up. I selected that device into smartthings with a room assigned and was so happy when the fan showed up to be used.

The bad newsā€¦it does not work when I try and use it. I get a network timeout message. When I spoke with Bond using chat they confirmed it was not ready for primetime (working).

I feel we are getting closeā€¦and after all this is the software businessā€¦so promises which take longer to be realized are fairly typical. LOVE MY BOND unitā€¦but once it is integrated and can be used in automations, its real power will be realized. My plan is to have the fans go on when the temp is about 75 degrees and someone is in the room.

Hey there, I just added a simple shades controller yesterday. Itā€™s just a switch control on/off mapping to open/close. I think we can get a more sophisticated controller working eventually if people want the ā€œmyā€ command exposed.

@Pdemos
There was an issue with expiring tokens that allow control of the device, but then network errors on every command and no state updates. I believe that issue is resolved now, but to resolve this youā€™ll need to delete and re-add the Bond skill.

I can help troubleshoot here, PM me your email associated with your Bond account if youā€™d like me to look into it.

i tried to run a scan, but none of my fans/curtains show up in ST
even tried deleting the bond app in ST app

running the latest beta with older hubā€¦ thanks

Looks like this is because you set it up with the very first released implementation of the shades remote, Iā€™ve just patched it to allow our SmartThings connector to find your remotes, give it another shot. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Got my Somfy shades to show up now. the 3 fans are still missingā€¦

thanks

1 Like

Your 3 fans are currently cloud-based, which weā€™re pushing to get rid of in favor of locally-controlled devices. Because weā€™re looking to get rid of cloud devices, we havenā€™t put in the time to link them to our SmartThings connector.

The good news is that we already have local based implementations of all 3 of your fans. If you re-record them now, you should get local versions that work with our SmartThings connector.

(For an idea of where weā€™re at on building locally-controlled devices: ~95% of our V1 app usersā€™ remote instances now have a local version in the V2 app)

1 Like

thanks. will try it later in the day